Sign in to follow this  
dsmiles

DSM7404: Female Paladin with Morningstar

Great job Dave.

Love the face on this one!

Critique would be that your paint is a bit too thick in places it seems, the shield is where it's most noticeable.

• Like 2

Great job Dave.

Critique would be that your paint is a bit too thick in places it seems, the shield is where it's most noticeable.

I've noticed that myself. It tends to happen to me a lot on open, flat spaces.

Great job Dave.

Is it the lighter pigment colors or all colors? Not sure how much you thin your paints or with what, but I've noticed that going with many thin layers keeps it from happening on me.

Great job Dave.

Is it the lighter pigment colors or all colors? Not sure how much you thin your paints or with what, but I've noticed that going with many thin layers keeps it from happening on me.

I've mostly noticed it when I'm working with lighter colors. I don't see it on the Galleon's leg plates (blues), or my myrmidons (dark metallics) for example, but on this one's shield (whites) and my Grey Maiden's shield (silvers) I can definitely see it.

I thin with distilled water, and occasionally a small drop of matte medium. But mostly distilled water, and I use the old "thin as milk" comparison. (Roughly 1:2 MSP:Water; a little more water for GW and P3 paints). The one that got all blotchy here was a mix of GW Fortress Grey, MSP Leather White and water, no medium.

I'd try the matte medium next time you do the white/grey mix and a drop more of water and see if it helps. Ya know, FOR SCIENCE!

• Like 2

Yes! Now begins the epic battle of paladin vs anti paladin. Depending on your painting style, you could bring the blue highlights out more.

She hasn't been matte coated yet, the matte coating brings out the colors more. I still have to fix her shield, so I might go a little higher on the blues as well.

The red hair is excellent and so is her face. I also like the choice of white for the armour.

I've tried using matte medium and for some reason it makes my colours very chalky. Either I'm not thinning it enough or I got a bad bottle.

• Like 1

The red hair is excellent and so is her face. I also like the choice of white for the armour.

I've tried using matte medium and for some reason it makes my colours very chalky. Either I'm not thinning it enough or I got a bad bottle.

Some people swear by it. I've just started using it to thin my paints. (I've always used it in my washes and glazes, though.)