Jonishi builds an airship

jonishi

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I carved a hull-shape out of two layers of foam. I was worried the foam might not be the best choice, materials wise, but it came out pretty symmetrical. The camera didn't capture the shape very well, though.

I'm going to put just one level inside the hull, with the back under the cabin more living area and the front cargo. the back will also have windows in the hull, since there is no water to keep out like in a seafaring vessel. The front of the hull will have holes to shoot through with ballistae.

post-12679-0-72964700-1409928362_thumb.jpg

post-12679-0-17780000-1409928364_thumb.jpg

post-12679-0-64899100-1409928365_thumb.jpg

I don't think I will actually put any LEDS in there, since I would like the cabin and deck to be removable so I can move minis around in there.

• Like 8

Thanks! Yes, I will carve this one out, too. I'll probably just put the deck on some cardboard or something, so I can lift it off. There will only be one level below deck, though, hopefully down to the second layer of foam. 

Exactly what I would do... not that THAT means you are in the right track...  :devil:

• Like 1

I'm so sick of balsa wood, and I'm not even nearly done yet. I ran out of balsa wood, but boyfriend went to the FLGS for me and got some more, but they only had one more sheet and I've already used most of that already...

I put planking on the deck and most of the outside of the hull. Once I felt I had enough glue on there to keep it in one piece, I carved out the main body of the hull. The splitting to the second layer of foam worked better than I thought as it turns out the white glue in there was still mostly wet even though it'd been a few days. I cut a hole for the first of the windows in the hull. I need to finalize the layout before I cut the rest as well. 

Apologies for the poor photos, the lighting in my flat is pretty bad at night.

post-12679-0-32194600-1410033234_thumb.jpg

post-12679-0-90176600-1410033235_thumb.jpg

The deck. I'm thinking of some sort of figurehead on the front, and of course a grate to the cargo hold and an interior for the cabin.

post-12679-0-37258500-1410033237_thumb.jpg

Inside of the hull. It's bigger than I thought it would be.

post-12679-0-80954700-1410033238_thumb.jpg

Bottom of the front of the hull. It's a bit wobbly, I'm considering putting some sort of keel on there. 

Thanks! Yes, I will carve this one out, too. I'll probably just put the deck on some cardboard or something, so I can lift it off. There will only be one level below deck, though, hopefully down to the second layer of foam. 

Exactly what I would do... not that THAT means you are in the right track...   :devil:

Well, you make some pretty neat things, so I'm just going to go ahead and take it as a good sign. 

• Like 3