Sign in to follow this  
Jasonator

Jasonators Emperor on Horse

I have spent the last two days doing "clean-up".  I found out why I got all those strange looking files in my

file set, and what some of them are good for.  I got a miniature lineman's pliers set that has proven really good at

taking off some of the casting/mold flashing.    So I am going to paint the Emperor Lucius and his mount.  I am going to

try and avoid painting any more miniatures with helms on for at least a month.  Feels good to put in a face again.  I also

am looking at some other Tom Meier works that are more whimsical (but extremely challenging as well).  So I will be getting

in a few different miniatures to paint (besides Kickstarter II...drool, slurp..be calm my soul).

I am painting this a bit differently than normal. He'll be in two parts until I can get the upper body done enough to glue him on

his mount.  No way I could do his left side glued to that horse !

So here is Lucius.  I will probably change colors with the exception of the black shield and golden Eagle.

post-12655-0-00352700-1409762085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 9

Looking at the above photo,

I feel I should have used that one for a "Caption Contest"...

"Honest Lord, I said DANG it"..Really !!!

• Like 2

Just went over the miniature with brown liner, and then used red ink where I want the gold blast to be.

I'm toning this miniature heavy in brown this time around.  I want to make sure I have tons of darks in the

detail edges.    So this is what Lucius is looking like.

*not glued to Horse yet".

post-12655-0-29139900-1409782363_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-00120500-1409782364_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Yes I used Red as an undercoat.  I know a lot of folks use a rich mocha brown as a gold undercoat, I prefer the effect of a Red Undercoat to the gold.  It really pops it up a level in my thinking.

Also that undercoat helps me guide my brush to paint that Eagle.  Next step is to fill in the "Non-Eagle" area with black.

• Like 1

Two hours after I started painting my hands and eyes said "BASTA".. (Enough).

I spent an hour alone on the shield, black, gold, gold, black...black and then gold.

No two shields are created equally, that's for sure !

He is almost ready to be glued to the horse, just did the underside of cloak, back of shield, and got the parts

I cannot reach painted...

Duh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Back of horse has to be painted, it will be covered by back of cloak.

Soon it will be glued !

Here are two photos.

You can see the affect of that Red Undercoat, I believe.

(Edit Note:  One day I'll spell English again, without making it into a Norwegian spelling)...sigh.

post-12655-0-59366400-1409841076_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-35873700-1409841077_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 7

I went back to the miniature, and continued painting those areas that will be covered over.

I decided; while at it, to get the horse painted.  Still needs highlighting, and I may put a few more layers of the brown.

All that brown underlining has REALLY paid off.  I like the direction that this is going in now.

I had my concerns. 

Leather straps will be black, tassels will be golden.  The gallon below horses neck will be a ruby in a gold ring.

Shall do the same with the reins.

Here is a photo, still NOT glued onto his saddle.

post-12655-0-43219700-1409849488_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Your brush control is vastly improving Jay, it's showing with every figure you are doing and the color palettes are really nice as well.

• Like 1

Spent a large part of afternoon painting on Lucius.

I'm getting close to the time when he can be glued into his saddle.

I've been experimenting with colors and seeing what I like.

So far a brown, red, and gold combo is making me purr.

So, here is the latest look for this Miniature.

post-12655-0-09123100-1409863777.jpg

post-12655-0-76567000-1409863777_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-35024600-1409863778_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Your brush control is vastly improving Jay, it's showing with every figure you are doing and the color palettes are really nice as well.

Thanks Ub3r !

I just take my time now, and look for inspiration, and I have come to really appreciate "PREP" work.

If I can lay down darks, or contrasting colors prior to my beginning to do a miniature, I'm ahead of the game.

I have learned to scope out the sculpt to see what I CAN do, what I MIGHT be able to do.. and then.. go for it.

Most times I have been pleasantly surprised (and a few time so frustrated I could scream).. growth can be painful !

ROFL.

Its all good fun.

• Like 3

Since I am rather compulsive about working on these miniatures, I decided to go another round.

Here are the advancements I have been doing with Lucius.

He is now attached to his howsie, and I have started the finer work, and started to tie in all the separate parts into

a unified whole. 

Was notified I have seven more miniatures on the way.. (and as Ub3r says.. wow.. that brings me to twenty (20) miniatures to do).

Hmm.. my nose feels funny !

Here are a few photos.

post-12655-0-90293900-1409879022.jpg

post-12655-0-59624100-1409879023.jpg

post-12655-0-31720400-1409879024.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 5

you start counting like that and its the feet you gotta watch out for... then you stop taking baths...

hopefully I can see some of this skill turned lose on a good sized dragon that could then chow down challenge these knights!

• Like 2