Sign in to follow this  
Jasonator

Emperor Lucius by Jasonator

I was rather amazed that I finished The Emperor Lucius today, usually it takes a least a week to finish one of these

for me.  Think the hot weather contributed to my speed this time.  This was a great Mini to paint.

I kept the shield color's the same, but did change the color scheme from the Green on the standing version.

The big challenge here is painting and then assembling the miniature.  Once it is glued you loose access to huge parts

of the sculpt !  This took some patience and planning.

So here is The Emperor Lucius.

I had a blast doing this one !

Jay

post-12655-0-21368800-1409948363_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-92831900-1409948363_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-66260800-1409948364_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-33896000-1409948365_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-06117100-1409948366_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-76477300-1409948366_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

There is a lot to commend you for here.  Nice job on the mail, good metals in general actually.  A couple things I think need work though.  you backed off on the highlights and I think you need to work on integrating them better with better blending but still keep the high highlights.  Paint that poor horse's eyes!  looks awesome though.

• Like 2

I'm just going to say GREAT JOB and that I agree with DF's assessments and critique. Not much more I can add to it. Keep up the wonderful work Jay, you are really improving very quickly.

• Like 1

I like how it turned out! I agree that the mail is really well done. 

Maybe it´s just a camera effect, but it looks like some of the paint on the tail has rubbed off already, which seems a shame. Do you mount the mini on some sort of holder while you paint it? I haven't had to retouch quite so many edges since on minis I didn't hold directly. 

• Like 1

My favorite part is the shield. Very Cool. I am yet to paint a horse, so not sure what kind of pointers to give, just that I would like to see more highlights.

One word of warning, watch out for the lichen stuff, it is organic and I have had them deteriorate over time, both on models and my dad's train set. It melted and stuck to things. I even left a whole bag of it outside and it turned to a bag of liquid gross stuff. Plus it only really looks like coral to me, I your base would look much better without it.

• Like 1

You are getting entirely to fast at this.  One day I see you have a new WIP, and then the mini appears in showoff before I even have a chance to read it all.

• Like 2

There is a lot to commend you for here.  Nice job on the mail, good metals in general actually.  A couple things I think need work though.  you backed off on the highlights and I think you need to work on integrating them better with better blending but still keep the high highlights.  Paint that poor horse's eyes!  looks awesome though.

Thanks Dontfear.  I can see what you are talking about.  I did back off the highlights, I thought with all that gold it would be too much, now that I look at it, it could use  a kick butt red, and a good brown.  That Cocoa color on horse was a bear to work with though.  All highlights want to go chalkish!  Sorry about the horse's eye, I will have to work on something that small for a bit; to pull that one off !

I'm just going to say GREAT JOB and that I agree with DF's assessments and critique. Not much more I can add to it. Keep up the wonderful work Jay, you are really improving very quickly.

Thanks Ub34.  Trying new things,and oh yes, I'm still making mistakes. I don't think my halo is ever going to give me headaches !

I like how it turned out! I agree that the mail is really well done. 

Maybe it´s just a camera effect, but it looks like some of the paint on the tail has rubbed off already, which seems a shame. Do you mount the mini on some sort of holder while you paint it? I haven't had to retouch quite so many edges since on minis I didn't hold directly. 

Thanks Jonishi,  This miniature was the exception to my usual method of painting, I had him in parts for a very long time, and I think moving him around my paint desk caused some damage. I will go, and touch up that tail.   I see a couple of other spots that need attention also!

My favorite part is the shield. Very Cool. I am yet to paint a horse, so not sure what kind of pointers to give, just that I would like to see more highlights.

One word of warning, watch out for the lichen stuff, it is organic and I have had them deteriorate over time, both on models and my dad's train set. It melted and stuck to things. I even left a whole bag of it outside and it turned to a bag of liquid gross stuff. Plus it only really looks like coral to me, I your base would look much better without it.

Thanks ML; The shield is my favorite also, I can't believe that I have painted something that small four times (once in red, and then in gold, on both miniatures).  I did NOT know about the Lichen.  That is scary considering how much time is put into painting these things.  I will make it a point to find other material for basing.  I do like my New Jersey sand (from my driveway) with all the ground up local rock, and crystals in it. It makes a terrific base on it's own.

You are getting entirely to fast at this.  One day I see you have a new WIP, and then the mini appears in showoff before I even have a chance to read it all.

Auberon, I will be slowing down, promise.  I am very enthusiastic by nature, and I really do love painting these.  Being newly retired,I sometimes forget that I DON'T have a deadline anymore (unless the almighty punches my ticket) !  I am going to be changing what I paint for a while (just for the fun of it), and learn something else, so I will be slowing down !

Thanks for all the comments, and critiques.  They are important to me, I try to make sure I am challenged as I paint these sculpts, and speed isn't one of those goals. Your comments show me how to improve, and that is always a beautiful gift.  My new florescent lamp shows up tomorrow, and I will be able to maneuver it to see my miniatures as I paint once more.  I can't paint using a regular lamp, everything looks yellowed to me (as in those photo's above).  The blacks are looking like browns, taken after the old lamp's bulbs died.

Jay

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

I am holding off on posting my next Miniature, since it is totally out in another direction in one sense.

In another, it really makes sense.  I get my new florescent lamp tomorrow, So I can start painting again, and also

using my camera.  This won't be a 25 mm mini though.  Just want to give myself a different challenge !

Not a Knight, nor a King or Emperor !

I can't stop giggling on this one.

• Like 2