• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Got another one of these simple townsfolk done.  I find they make a great opening salvo for the weekend before getting rolling.  They are more or less my practice pieces to try a few things before getting going.  Here he is - the farmer and his hoe.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Keeping the palette very simple:Brown, Orange, Cream, Flesh - worked well.
      *  Washes of Nuln oil on the shirt, pants, hood.  Looks good and helped dull the colors like work clothes.
      *  Used Agrax on the leggings and the shoes and the hoe to give a more dirty apperance.  
      *  I used a mix of buff and white streaks, then washed it with Agrax to give the wood appearance.  Not bad.
      *  Flesh was Rosy Shadow - why I used that color, I have no idea - and I did a fleshwash on it.  Then brought it back up with rosy shadow, then again did it with a little added buff.  

Misses:
      *  I really want to learn how to wood grain.  I can't figure it out or do it well and need some help there.  
      *  I also am not a fan of this guy's skin.  I still don't get how to use the triads really well.  Or which skin tone to use for which kind of character.  It's why I like doing beasts or fantastical creatures because skin isn't really a concern.  Could use direction here if anyone is open.
      *  Didn't want to use metal colors, so I just did a black to white to grey fade on the working end of the hoe.  Meh.
      *  The highlights I went back in on the leggings, hood, and shirt are a bit much.  Almost look washed out.  Not sure what went wrong going back over the same areas with the colors after washing, but oh well.

For basing this guy - open to ideas.  I'm thinking just a simple 1" base and nothing complicated.  I'll do whatever someone suggests first.  

• By haldir
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/binithebunny/bini-the-bunnys-inspirational-rhyming-childrens-book/description

Totally far from what most people on here would be interested but I became a fan of Bini & Shai due to our bunny, Thumper. Bini is amazing bunny, he can dunk a basketball (I do believe he is a World Record holder in that), he can play piano & is super smart! I watched a video where Shai puts up a closed bin of treats & Bini climbed up & used the wall to spring up to the spot where the bin was. I guess if he has a talent that we can relate to, he can paint!

EDIT: FUNDED!!!

Also, in a backer update, production & delivery of the book will be sooner then it says in the KS!!

• By R2ED
      Got another one to submit, but still needs its base.  Mr. Monk here was a pretty fast shot.  I tried to keep colors as simple as possible (which may or may not have been left over colors from my owl bear I did) to just keep the paint moving.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Used a flat flesh color with the simple Reikland Flesh shade wash.  Combo worked well, but dude looks a little...odd.  Will have to add more warmth next time.
      *  Brown hues and simplicity of the scheme helped.
      *  Really enjoying doing townsfolk because of the limited details I need to get into.  
      *  Hair felt much better this time.  Going with a dark brown, up to a mid brown, then highlight in the ridge of the hairline.  
      *  @Inarah I used your method on rope on his belt.  Worked!

Opporunity:
      *  Playing with flesh tones and how to raise the contrast is very difficult for me.  Without making it look...fake.  I keep trying to find easier ways to do it, but I think it's just gotta invest to get the best results.
      *  Cape volumes didn't really pop.  I was hoping for more depth in the contrast, but it didn't show through and I wasn't willing to push it further after a few failed attempts.  
      *  Painting with bone white or ivory continue to plague me.  Multiple layers needed because of the chalky pigment density.  Anyone got a solve for this?

For a base, I'm thinking of including some kind of cross or something behind him.  We'll see.  I found some pretty nifty little wood engraved sets at Dollar Tree (loving that place more and more these days) that will work perfect.  Speaking of which, I have a demon hunter I haven't based yet, that could use one of those, too. Hm...
    • By Samedi
      Finally varnished and ready for the table: Sepp, Brunhilde and Urs.

I painted them up to kick off my Rangers of Shadow Deep Project. More infos and a bit of backstory can be found in this WIP.

Those three are my first attempt at OSL. Luckily, I did not have to make this journey alone: I'd like to thank @Geoff Davis for a great class at RVU and an even better private lesson via zoom.

Enjoy, C&C very welcome!

• By Evilhalfling
      the polka dots took forever. 
      I am happier with how the face came out than the free-hand. 

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)