Sign in to follow this  
Mierot

77044: Turanil, Male Elf Paladin WIP

It has been months since I picked up the brush to paint for more than 15 to 30 minutes at a sitting. Now that I have a health issue managed and under control, I can finally get back to painting! I have a list of projects I would like to finish by the end of the year, so I'm working on a piece or two to get back into practice. I have long admired NMM, so I decided to give it a go and see if I can learn the technique. Turanil has a variety of surfaces to practice my blending, so here we go.

I started in on his cloak, working with a base coat of carnage red, followed by shading with deep red and brick red, then working the midtone back in with blood red. Highlights are, so far, a mixture of blood red and burnt orange.

post-5366-0-08708800-1410180178_thumb.jpg

The front of the cloak shows plenty of interesting folds, which were really helpful in setting of the blends. I like obvious and logical folds (thank you Bobby Jackson!). I see a need to push the highlights up more, so I'll be going back and working up to pure burnt orange. I am hesitant to go much further into yellow.

post-5366-0-00161300-1410180185_thumb.jpg

The back of the cloak is flatter, which begs for some freehand work, but also makes placing the shadows a bit harder. I definitely need to spend more time there to get the right contrasts in place.

• Like 14

Ok, it is harder to get back into the painting groove than I wish. I had time this weekend, and was in a quiet country place, perfect for the focus needed for painting, but forgot to pack Turanil! I had everything but him on hand, so I put together some GW dwarves.

I made time last night to start in on his scale mail armor.

post-5366-0-61090800-1410955412.jpg

I re-basecoated the scales with pure black, then glazed in midnight blue, followed by misty gray, ghost white, and up to pure white. Then I tweaked the shaded areas with a glaze 1:1 mix of pure black and midnight blue to push the contrast. Then more misty gray and midnight blue touch ups. ...rinse...repeat... NMM is certainly a challenge to make everything look "right"...  ^_^

• Like 4

It's face time, as rough as it is. I needed to get away from armor for a bit, so this evening's work is all skin tones and eyes.

post-5366-0-97394800-1411180351_thumb.jpg

The face suffers from soft detail and a squished nose. Turanil must have gotten into a brawl or two in his day. I did not pay too close attention to some of the mold lines when prepping, so they are still evident on the ears. I justify it to myself by saying I'm using the bones for practice...whatever works.

post-5366-0-60616200-1411180358_thumb.jpg

I kept the eyes simple. Walnut brown, followed by linen white for the eyeball, then an iris/pupil of walnut brown. I still need to work on the lips and play with the shading a bit, but Turanil can now glare at me while I'm at work.

• Like 6

I managed a few more hours of work on Turanil, blending away on his plate armor. Blending takes practice, which is why I'm doing this...right? It is looking rough.

post-5366-0-24343500-1411348815_thumb.jpg

I lost control of my paint a few times, leaving too much on the brush, which, of course, flooded some of the flat areas. I was not fast enough wiping it away, leaving some tide marks to work over. I think I overthinned the paint a bit, which didn't help.

I will master this technique!  :mellow:

• Like 6

Looking Fantastic....

(If I could be so bold to give a hint that I use).

Keep a small pad of watercolor paper next to your palette.

Before you do something delicate wipe the brush on the paper and bring it to a point,

it should remove excess, and give you a shot at getting it where you want it, without flooding.

Hope that helps.

One of my favorite sculpts !

• Like 2

Keep a small pad of watercolor paper next to your palette.

Before you do something delicate wipe the brush on the paper and bring it to a point,

it should remove excess, and give you a shot at getting it where you want it, without flooding.

I have never tried using watercolor paper for this, just my usual paper towel. The paper towel doesn't do badly on wicking away the excess, but sometimes I wish it did better. Time to experiment! Thanks!

• Like 1

Palette paper, a damp sponge and coffee filters all work very well for this too. Anything that doesn't have fibers that'll rub off onto your brush when you wick off the excess paint.

• Like 2

Anything that doesn't have fibers that'll rub off onto your brush when you wick off the excess paint.

That is a down side of the paper towel. Sometimes stray fibers suddenly appear on the brush just before I touch it to the figure, along with cat hair if I have painting company.

• Like 1

Anything that doesn't have fibers that'll rub off onto your brush when you wick off the excess paint.

That is a down side of the paper towel. Sometimes stray fibers suddenly appear on the brush just before I touch it to the figure, along with cat hair if I have painting company.

yup, the cat hairs are a pain... my daughter just returned home with a small kitten which just loves to crawl up on my lap when I am painting and sniff at what I am doing... I swear the mini is a magnet for any cat hair as they suddenly appear when the cat does this!

• Like 2

September is almost over and Turanil is still in progress? :blink:  A mini a month is a good goal, right?

Inching ever closer to finishing. I concentrated on the leather bits today, as well as the, um, I don't know what to call it, hanging from his belt. I painted it red, anyway.

post-5366-0-91544300-1411943451_thumb.jpg

I also added planking and some wood grain to the interior side of the shield. The grain much too subtle. I'll have to pop it up a bit. The shield itself got a few coats of ghost white to prepare it for when I start in on the peacock. The white should help get the colors nice and vibrant.

post-5366-0-35049300-1411944249_thumb.jpg

I'm having a mental block on a few areas. There is a rosette on his right shoulder which boggles my mind on how to paint it. I'm tempted just to go with plain metal, nothing fancy.

The other shoulder looks a bit like a hawk. I'm tempted to try painting it gold, but I don't know if that will clash too much with the other metal areas. If I use gold for the sword's hilt, then it would be a good balance between sides.

• Like 5

I'm glad I decided to tackle NMM. I think my blending is actually improving. Tonight saw the non-armor steel bits finished. I also basecoated the gold areas with walnut brown: the paldron on Turanil's shield arm, the rosette on the sword arm shoulder, and the hilt of the sword.

post-5366-0-50072700-1412128916.jpg

I laid down a rough blend for the front side of the sword - the back is still black. Since it is a much larger surface than the armor, I think I'll add in a few additional glazes of color, aside from the midnight blue I'm currently using.

• Like 5