Mixing Ink extender and paint

Xymor

Can you mix the ink extender and regular paint or can you just mix the ink extender with ink as it's name implies?

Also if you can what does this do to the paint color? And what are good and bad colors to do this with?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ann once told the recipe for her magic juice.. Freefall made up a bottle of it and I used it at gencon, liked it so much I bought it off him.. still using it too since a lil bit goes a LONG way.. It would be worth your while to try and sweet-talk that out from under Ann again. All I know is it's a mix of Extender and Flow aid.

Ann once told the recipe for her magic juice.. way.. It would be worth your while to try and sweet-talk that out from under Ann again. All I know is it's a mix of Extender and Flow aid.

I can see where there would be confusion about that since some people refer to retarder as extender because it does prolong drying time. Anne's formula uses WN Flow improver and Folk Art Extender (which is retarder) or Liquitex Slo-dri. In the art community extenders are most often products that stretch out the paint pigment without letting it break down like Matte medium but not necessarily increasing drying times like retarder.

Reaper's inks I have been told are printer's inks in binder. That binder without the pigment is their Ink Extender. Judging by the smell I wonder if there is also a surfactant added in to aid flow and prevent rings. It works like gloss medium when added to paint.

• Reaper User

Qwawl's got it in one. The Ink Extender will work to a lesser extent in paint, but it's formulated for the inks, and it's there that it shines. If you're looking for a paint extender (i.e. flow improver/pigment float) then you're better off going with Winsor & Newton Acrylic Flow Improver, which is just about the most godly flow improver known to man. ::D: If you want a retarder, i.e. slow-dry, then I use Folk Art, and the transparent liquid version of Liquitex Slow-dri is just as good, if not better, but sometimes harder to find. :)

My "gunk" mix:

80% Folk Art Extender or Slow-dri

10-20% W&N Flow Improver

Add a bit of water if you feel like it--sometimes I will, sometimes I won't. :)

When adding the above to paint, add a drop or two of it along with a brushful of water to 5-8 drops of paint, depending on the consistancy you're looking for/technique you're employing.

--Anne :)

• Like 1

Ann once told the recipe for her magic juice.. Freefall made up a bottle of it and I used it at gencon, liked it so much I bought it off him.. still using it too since a lil bit goes a LONG way.. It would be worth your while to try and sweet-talk that out from under Ann again.  All I know is it's a mix of Extender and Flow aid.

Hay Ann(Big puppy dog eyes) Could you plese tell me the formula for the magic juice, Preety please.....whth chery's on top.

Thanks for the tips by the way guys, I relly apreceate them.

darn ann got to it before I could ask(inches I tell you). Thanks ann.