CatBat

77100: Vanja, First Mini Painting Ever

Welcome and outstanding first attempt sir ;) well done

"painting like everyone else" doesn't work for most of us.  I use artist paints, India Inks, and miniature paints.  Use what WORKS for you.  You have good technique, which shows you have some real talent. 

If you want to paint like everyone else, it's "base coat" "wash" "highlight up" tabletop... done (army painting).  Vanja looks pretty good, I might say that some parts need definition a little more (LITTLE!), such as the rivets and the chains on her hips needing something to define them more clearly.  Outside of that, keep working in your techniques, you'll find some that really work for you, and build your base from there.  THEN you can start looking at others' techniques, and integrate what works within YOUR style from there.

• Like 3

"painting like everyone else" doesn't work for most of us.  I use artist paints, India Inks, and miniature paints.  Use what WORKS for you.  You have good technique, which shows you have some real talent. 

If you want to paint like everyone else, it's "base coat" "wash" "highlight up" tabletop... done (army painting).  Vanja looks pretty good, I might say that some parts need definition a little more (LITTLE!), such as the rivets and the chains on her hips needing something to define them more clearly.  Outside of that, keep working in your techniques, you'll find some that really work for you, and build your base from there.  THEN you can start looking at others' techniques, and integrate what works within YOUR style from there.

Thanks a ton! I appreciate the feedback.

India Ink sounds like an AWESOME idea. I used nail polish on the second mini I did. :P

I agree 100% on defining some more areas. And I see some areas that I didn't quite cover and it's driving me crazy now. I may do a touch up after I've experimented a bit more. 

Welcome to the hobby. Excellent first attempt, keep at it. Practice may not make perfect, but if you look around here, it will get you pretty darn close.

I agree 100% on defining some more areas. And I see some areas that I didn't quite cover and it's driving me crazy now. I may do a touch up after I've experimented a bit more. 

Photos will pick out every little mistake you've made. It drives me nuts. For me, mini painting is a near-endless cycle of paint, photo, paint, photo, (wash, rinse, repeat).

• Like 3

Welcome to the hobby. Excellent first attempt, keep at it. Practice may not make perfect, but if you look around here, it will get you pretty darn close.

Photos will pick out every little mistake you've made. It drives me nuts. For me, mini painting is a near-endless cycle of paint, photo, paint, photo, (wash, rinse, repeat).

Thank you so much! 

Yeah, my friends who paint minis insist that the bigger ones (like Vanja) are more difficult because they're easier to pick out mistakes on. This is a great camera for taking pics of minis, but damn does it capture every detail. Especially the bad ones. :P 

Welcome to the hobby!  I fully approve of the colorful giant.  :wub:  (would have preferred a thumb-up smiley, but alas....)

If you really want critiques to improve your mini painting, try a Work in Progress.  You can get feedback during the process, and maybe a few tips and tricks at the same time.

The overall impression is fantastic.  I think with a little more concentration on the smaller details you will see an immediate improvement.  Part of what is impressive about miniature painting is the details.  you are working with such a tiny canvas so your focus has to be equally small.  I would start there and then you can work on anywhere you want to improve.  I love your use of color and light, your 2d art background shows.

• Like 2

Holy moly she's beautiful! I love your colours! :wub:

I love it when artists new to the hobby come in with new ideas, so fresh and exciting! ^_^ Keep doing what you're doing and please keep sharing with us!

• Like 1

Hot damn. Gorgeous work. If you want to apply a "proper hobby technique" grab some craft store "flow improver", and add it to paint plus water to create a wash. This can be used to quickly define and shade textured areas. It's one of a handful of tricks that works specifically on the 3-D nature of the miniature, so you might not be familiar with. Apart from that it looks like you're already in the game. EDIT: checked out your facebook page, you're all over washes like white on rice. OK, I have exactly zero advice :)

(Washes are a beginner's trick but can be really handy at any level; if you like your work very neat they are probably only useful very early in the piece, where they can lay down some shadows before being painted over)

EDIT TO ADD: love what you do with colour shifting, it's delicious eye candy.

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 1

You're a natural! You have a deft hand with the brush AND a WONDERFUL sense of colors. What your pieces will look like a few years from now boggles the mind. VERY WELL DONE!

Welcome to the hobby!  I fully approve of the colorful giant.  :wub:  (would have preferred a thumb-up smiley, but alas....)

If you really want critiques to improve your mini painting, try a Work in Progress.  You can get feedback during the process, and maybe a few tips and tricks at the same time.

I take process pics, but I have a hard time not sitting down and trying to finish everything in one go. (The painting train has no breaks!) I need to sloooow down on my work I think, so I can get advice mid-painting. I layer and add and change up what I'm doing a lot mid-way through. I'm not very organized in how I do things. XD

Hot damn. Gorgeous work. If you want to apply a "proper hobby technique" grab some craft store "flow improver", and add it to paint plus water to create a wash. This can be used to quickly define and shade textured areas. It's one of a handful of tricks that works specifically on the 3-D nature of the miniature, so you might not be familiar with. Apart from that it looks like you're already in the game. EDIT: checked out your facebook page, you're all over washes like white on rice. OK, I have exactly zero advice :)

(Washes are a beginner's trick but can be really handy at any level; if you like your work very neat they are probably only useful very early in the piece, where they can lay down some shadows before being painted over)

EDIT TO ADD: love what you do with colour shifting, it's delicious eye candy.

Hahaha, thank you so much! Color choice is one of the few things I take a lot of pride in. :P

Yeah, I absolutely cannot see what I'm doing without a wash on the Bones. 

i_have_special_eyes_meme__by_stevenstar7

• Like 3