This is how KS is supposed to work!

Chrome

KS was created as a means to help people get funding for things they couldn't afford to produce themselves. We all know how it's evolved, for better or for worse.

Divinity: Original Sin was a KS success, and I think that most of us who followed it expected that when the devs were ready to begin work on their next video game, that they'd return to KS for funding. Instead, not only are not going to do that, but they're not doing it for the right reason. ::):  

""I don't think it would be correct to go and fish in the pool of crowdfunding investment again. I think that there's others that could use that investment."

Pretty cool.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/08/divinity-original-sin-studio-boss-hopes-to-avoid-crowdfunding-for-its-next-game/

• Like 6

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I applaud them for their success and that they are in a place where they can produce their next project without crowd funding, I don't agree that no one should ever crowd fund their follow on projects. Not every company is the same, each have different funding and business needs and there is nothing wrong with crowd funding being part of how they address those needs.

• Like 6

I don't think the message is "no one should start a second KS" ... I think the messages is: "If your first KS was a success and because your product sold great you now have money ... don't start a second KS if you can pay for the development on your own".

I think you are probably correct in this case. I just see quite a few people make the assumption that "wildly successful kickstarter equals money in bank for company" and that often isn't true. Many companies intentionally set their funding goal for production costs not profit.

Edit: I think my point is that there is nothing inherently wrong with seeking your venture capital from lots of individuals actually interested in what you will produce rather than investment firms. Also Company A choosing not to seek crowd funding doesn't automatically mean Company B will therefore receive funding from those who would have backed Company A's project and I don't even mean that as a brand loyalty thing.

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 6

I know people love ideals, but I don't see the bad thing about businesses using kickstarter for kickstarting projects, even though they might have been able to do without.

Not only do you build a following if you run a successful kickstarter, you reduce risks to the company if you're not giant-huge. You also (usually) get lots of valuable feedback and input from backers. That's good not only for the company and product, but for the end users who are going to be using the product.

As long as there are good incentives to pledge, lots of information, transparency and it isn't purely a pre-order I'm fine with it. As in, the money raised goes towards funding the actual project/bettering it, not just increasing profits.

• Like 7

Hmm, when looking at this, keep in mind the type of product we're looking at, and what the resulting bigger picture is. Larian Studios has made a ton of money outside Kickstarter on this game beyond the near 20k backers.

For the Steam early access alone, reports in early July indicated another 160k copies sold. Eight times the number of KS backers. It's been a Steam bestseller throughout July (thanks to pretty rave reviews, too), and there's retail sales as well. I can't find any current reports on total sales, but it seems likely they've moved at least the 400k copies by now. That's 20 times the KS number.

That kind of post-KS and overall success doesn't come every day - and may not even be possible for anything other than digital goods. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but for the sake of comparison, I don't think Reaper has ever moved 400k additional Bones vampire level boxes. And I'm certain they couldn't have done it in a space of 3 months (remember how big of a strain moving just the KS product was on them).

I'd say the real lesson here is: a video games company that has runaway success with a KS-funded project doesn't really need KS for the next project, and it's a great PR move to say you're not going KS because you want to give others a chance.

• Like 3