Sign in to follow this  
Lovejoy

Ravensrodd - miniatures game design blog

I've got a long term project on the go - I'm designing a skirmish game, set in a slightly-fantasyish 14th century England. It's a slow process, but I've made a start, and I'll be working on it whenever I get spare time. If you fancy a look, I've started a small blog to document the development process here: http://ravensrodd.com/

And because posting just a link to a blog is a bit naughty, here's a couple of pics of minis for the project...

ad2ac0fff208a2183049de0fd03b899d_large.j

specialcharacter.jpg

Anyway, thanks if you take the time to look, and any feedback is appreciated; either here, or by email.

cheers,

Michael

Edited by Lovejoy
  • Like 8

I had read the first three previously but I'm catching up!

Yeah, I got a bit carried away, and added a lot at once... I'll slow down a bit now though!

WOT THE HELL IS THAT?

That third one. So creepy! Ugh...

Looks like something from a medieval woodcut. A familiar possibly?

Yep, it's a familiar - although most of the ones in woodcuts tend to just be pretty normal looking animals... I based the sculpt on something I spotted on an old building in Scotland:

girvan.jpg
  • Like 4

Not a lot of progress on this, as real life and other distractions keep intruding; but here's 3 more minis:

weirdos2.jpg

cheers

Michael

Edited by Lovejoy
  • Like 5

WOT THE HELL IS THAT?

That third one. So creepy! Ugh...

Hahaha, that was my reaction too! Such a weird looking thing. And people nowadays think our imaginations are messed up. Oh, the medieval imagination was plenty, uh, vivid :lol:

And Michael, you might want to remove that middle picture in the last post. For "naughty bits" and the forum rules and whatnot. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I love the familiar, and wuld like to see you expand on that theme. There's really not enough whimsy, psychedelia, or grotesquery in modern fantasy miniatures. (And way too much swimsuit leather S&M crossover o.O  )

• Like 1

Michael, per your last post on the blog, to RPG or not to RPG: So far I think your game looks really interesting. I was going to present it to Hubby and see if he wanted to be one of your play testers. He and his buddy are really good at rules, so they'd be good at giving you the kind of feedback you want. But I think you should leave it open to RP if people want to RP. We don't really buy a lot of games like this, we really just play our own homebrew, so RP comes naturally to that, so I don't know how it works with games like this usually. But if you're making your own character and playing out a scenario, wouldn't there be RP?

Or do you mean developing a rules system like D&D or GURPs where people can build their own homebrews?

ETA: I want the minis >.>

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 1

And Michael, you might want to remove that middle picture in the last post. For "naughty bits" and the forum rules and whatnot. :ph34r:

It is a great mini...but what Red said...maybe a quick horizontal crop with GIMP (or some similar)  for local display?

Does the big guy from the first post have a name yet? Mace, beer belly and loot sack...

(I have mentally penciled him in as Roland the Rolly Polly.)

• Like 3

...Michael, you might want to remove that middle picture in the last post. For "naughty bits" and the forum rules and whatnot. :ph34r:

Sorry! Edited now...

I love the familiar, and wuld like to see you expand on that theme. There's really not enough whimsy, psychedelia, or grotesquery in modern fantasy miniatures. (And way too much swimsuit leather S&M crossover o.O  )

I agree, and there's lots of weird stuff in old manuscripts and statues to work from too! I'm going to have some fun with it...

Michael, per your last post on the blog, to RPG or not to RPG: So far I think your game looks really interesting. I was going to present it to Hubby and see if he wanted to be one of your play testers. He and his buddy are really good at rules, so they'd be good at giving you the kind of feedback you want. But I think you should leave it open to RP if people want to RP. We don't really buy a lot of games like this, we really just play our own homebrew, so RP comes naturally to that, so I don't know how it works with games like this usually. But if you're making your own character and playing out a scenario, wouldn't there be RP?

Or do you mean developing a rules system like D&D or GURPs where people can build their own homebrews?

Typically, when we play RPGs we don't use minis... no 4th edition D&D for us!  :;):  Really, I like to keep miniatures gaming and RPGing separate... I know a lot (most?) people use minis and scenery, but for me that ends up being a skirmish wargame, and if I'm looking for a skirmish wargame, I don't really want to be restricted to one character and to have to have a GM.

So Ravensrodd as an RPG would be a non-minis based game, for a group of players, with a GM. Ravensrodd as a skirmish game would be 2 players, no GM, about a dozen models each, and an experience/skills campaign system. Ideally I'd like to do both. In reality, I may never finish either!  I keep getting sidetracked...

Does the big guy from the first post have a name yet? Mace, beer belly and loot sack...

(I have mentally penciled him in as Roland the Rolly Polly.)

I haven't named him - he's a Bailiff, a leader model for the King's Men; they're the local law enforcement, known as the posse comitatus in the 14th century. They were generally very, very corrupt...

Typically, when we play RPGs we don't use minis... no 4th edition D&D for us!  :;):  Really, I like to keep miniatures gaming and RPGing separate... I know a lot (most?) people use minis and scenery, but for me that ends up being a skirmish wargame, and if I'm looking for a skirmish wargame, I don't really want to be restricted to one character and to have to have a GM.

So Ravensrodd as an RPG would be a non-minis based game, for a group of players, with a GM. Ravensrodd as a skirmish game would be 2 players, no GM, about a dozen models each, and an experience/skills campaign system. Ideally I'd like to do both. In reality, I may never finish either!  I keep getting sidetracked...

Differences abound lol. We play 2nd ed with minis and I've never played a skirmish game before. Not really sure what that is... We like RPGs w/ minis. So um... do both? ^_^

But I would fear for your game in our hands. It's all medieval and we'd end up acting like Monty Python characters. Probably not what you envision for your world :blush:

ETA: You should totally name the bailiff Roland for TPG.

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 1