CAV-SO Model Distribution

MikeD

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its design warrant's it's size but I agree it's not as imposing as it looks like it should be.  Perhaps that was what the designers were going for?  Trick the enemy into underestimating it...  :devil:

You mentioned you have an Adon force.  Is it a big force?  Have you bounced your collection off of the updated faction list to find out what is still Adon or not?

Its design warrant's it's size but I agree it's not as imposing as it looks like it should be.  Perhaps that was what the designers were going for?  Trick the enemy into underestimating it...  :devil:

You mentioned you have an Adon force.  Is it a big force?  Have you bounced your collection off of the updated faction list to find out what is still Adon or not?

I have two main forces, plus some miscellaneous models from back when I was demoing for Black Lightning. It was never all assembled (I've been out of the country without my minis for the last two years, and mostly played lower-point games, so a lot of the big CAVs are still in pieces), but I'd guess I had at least 5000 points worth of Adonese models. Thankfully, I mostly stuck to Borsig-Spline models, though there are still a few casualties (a pair of kitbashed Ghost substitutes, a painted Scorpion and Talon, and some of my lower-point army lists relied heavily on Nomads for strike capability). I had a bunch of Spiders for demo games that are obsolete now as well, and I don't have any use for my demo Katanas and Dictators if they're not Open Market.

My other force, on the other hand, is a complete loss. It was a Core Worlds Coalition army, from War For Sale, relying heavily on the Boxer and Slayer faction-unique kitbashes (the Slayer was my own design from the X-CAV 3 contest, so it stings a bit). That's about 3000 points of fully assembled and painted models retconned out of existance...and no way of knowing if the construction system will accommodate building them from scratch.

• Like 2

Just do what I do, keep playing CAV2 with all the Mil-Net additions.

That's certainly an option.  Just because their is a new edition coming out doesn't mean you have to play it.  The models being updated are just as viable as the ones you have and at a better cost.

On the other hand, if you make it ReaperCon sometime you can bring in your retired metal and trade it in for store credit.  I have a few things myself that are goin in the scrap bin when this shindig is over.

Option #3:  Use the Strike Ops book but keep the original list of what models are in what faction!  Best of both worlds!

Edited by Girot
  • Like 1

For the most part I am very happy with what is going on with the KS. I think after all of the dust settles we will see everything done in Bones for all factions. I am very happy to see that!  All in all it is a very cool lot. My only real gripe and it is a serious sticking point for me is the fact that those 3 hideous turd mechs from the failed Rogue Legion from Talon have been forced into the initial lineup. We are being forced to take non-CAV junk in place of all of the great designs that were passed over because someone wants his designs in there. Maybe I sound like a total @$$, but I feel it was very narcissistic to force those on anyone not making the $1 pledge. Actual CAV models could have filled those 3 spots to do justice to all of us old CAV'ers and new, I don't think it fairly reperesents the line. Seriously, if you are going to force your product, at least force the only 2 good models you have, the Concussion and Gnomic. At least choose some that are aesthetically pleasing. Just my very dissatisfied and strong opinion on that subject.

• Like 2

For the most part I am very happy with what is going on with the KS. I think after all of the dust settles we will see everything done in Bones for all factions. I am very happy to see that!  All in all it is a very cool lot. My only real gripe and it is a serious sticking point for me is the fact that those 3 hideous turd mechs from the failed Rogue Legion from Talon have been forced into the initial lineup. We are being forced to take non-CAV junk in place of all of the great designs that were passed over because someone wants his designs in there. Maybe I sound like a total @$$, but I feel it was very narcissistic to force those on anyone not making the $1 pledge. Actual CAV models could have filled those 3 spots to do justice to all of us old CAV'ers and new, I don't think it fairly reperesents the line. Seriously, if you are going to force your product, at least force the only 2 good models you have, the Concussion and Gnomic. At least choose some that are aesthetically pleasing. Just my very dissatisfied and strong opinion on that subject.

Keep in mind that the initial lineup was selected a while ago (over a year ago as there are reports that Bones CAV was on display at ReaperCon 2013). The first 8 are the ones that they already have the molds for and already have 4k of each in hand. I totally understand if you hate some of the initial model selections (though I'm not sure blaming the selection on Jon is correct...who knows how much say he had in that, it's more likely there was practical business reasons for those selections, these were proof of concepts, they had to figure out which models would best serve as test subjects). Noting that *every single* model *not* in the initial core is Terran or Rach so far, they are certainly dedicated to building up substantial faction armies two or so at a time (in both the core and as add ons).

That probably comes off as fanboi-ish, but mostly it's just that I see the praticality in what they've done so far and what their doing and I'm not sure I buy that Jon is forcing his models in (didn't he design a *ton* of the CAV models too?)

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the initial lineup was selected a while ago (over a year ago as there are reports that Bones CAV was on display at ReaperCon 2013). The first 8 are the ones that they already have the molds for and already have 4k of each in hand. I totally understand if you hate some of the initial model selections (though I'm not sure blaming the selection on Jon is correct...who knows how much say he had in that, it's more likely there was practical business reasons for those selections, these were proof of concepts, they had to figure out which models would best serve as test subjects). Noting that *every single* model *not* in the initial core is Terran or Rach so far, they are certainly dedicated to building up substantial faction armies two or so at a time (in both the core and as add ons).

That probably comes off as fanboi-ish, but mostly it's just that I see the praticality in what they've done so far and what their doing and I'm not sure I buy that Jon is forcing his models in (didn't he design a *ton* of the CAV models too?)

No, not at all. John Bear Ross and Jim Burrell are responsible for 99% of all of the designs. Seeing as Jon is now running the IP I have no doubt that he took those 3 models of his as a choice for this lot. I'm not trying to pick a fight or be condesecendin, but being friends with many of the original CAV designers, working as a demo team member of BL for more than a decade, I have a bit of personal insight that makes some of these decision bothersome. Jon had a previous line of models for his game Rogue Legion, none of which were very CAV in appearance and I highly doubt Reaper asked if they could use his molds for production until he wrote his models into the game. Again, not being confrontational, just putting the facts as they are out there. Yes, I do take it a bit personal because I've really tried to positivly back Reaper and CAV through all of the angsty years of  "Soon"  and this is a bit of a slap in the face to all of the TRUE CAV designs out there that should have taken precedence over design that he brought in from his failed line that do not fit into CAV at all.

.... I actually like almost all the Talon designs. There's none I hate. I particularly like that they do show a different eye to design. I was palpably relieved that the Imperator didn't have shoulder mounted rocket boxes.

Two scenarios: 1. Jon used mind control (or other) powers to force Reaper to print his stupid mechs nobody likes.

2. Reaper actually like his mechs, or their customers do. They've been for sale for a while and have a lot of BT appeal.

I'm not judging anyone, I'm just saying hypothesis 1 lacks a certain... something.

• Like 1