• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a request (from somebody best obeyed) to paint up some kind of female fey, and I decided to make a project of it. I picked one of the Warlord fairy models for the basis, and promptly put the who

Hey, check it out: I actually spent a couple of hours painting today!     I feel pretty good about the red-purple shaping up on her tunic... leotard... thing. I am less thrilled with the striping

So... I've been largely sucked into painting game pieces for last couple of months. A buddy and I have actually been playing a couple of miniatures games, and I am not a skilled army painter, so getti

Posted Images

Thank you for all the kind words!

Over the weekend, we had New England Paint Day. I spent most of my time there working on one of the Pathfinder Iconics (The Paladin), so I could have her available as a loaner mini at future games, but I did get some basing work done for this project. To start off, I sculpted a bunch of tiny mushrooms to glue to the base (Not sure where yet):

post-7337-0-52351900-1410783985_thumb.jpg

Second, I began playing around with photo-etched brass foliage, from Hassle-Free miniatures, as a way to create a cool woodland scene. I only glued a few pieces to the base so far. I think I'm going to prime and paint the Sculpey foundation before I cover it with things that will make it impossible to reach anything with my brush. (This was my first time using brass-etch. It's interesting stuff, but needs some fiddling around to keep it from looking completely flat.)

post-7337-0-27694400-1410784219_thumb.jpg

I also spent some time painting the model's eyes. For once, I am working on a model with great-big eyes, so I decided to see if I could paint highlights or color. I'm not sure how visible it will be in the end product, but it is there!

post-7337-0-51853000-1410784352.jpg

I also painted in around the skin areas to help me visualize where the skin ant chitin met on the figure. (Thanks to Dilvish the Deliverer for helping me sort out some of the divisions) Note that the brown color is not anything like a final skin tone. It's just an undercoat to add a little depth to the final color.

post-7337-0-67331800-1410784254.jpg

I'm now waiting on some paints from Reaper before I go much further on the main figure, but I will try to get some more basing work done in the next few days.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 14

eyes look great in pictures.  I fear they might be too subtle for anything but the brightest light conditions in person but it will make the piece striking in pictures.

Yeah, I was hoping they would come out a bit brighter on top of a white background, but I guess the paint was just too dark. I'll try another color next time, I suppose.

• Like 1

I agree you're doing fine work, so good luck as you continue.

On the basing, what did you use to keep the Sculpey from sticking to the block?  Did you need any kind of armature for the clay?  Do you lube your tools as you do with green stuff?  Do you have tips for someone who hasn't sculpted with Sculpey before?  I've worked with epoxy putties, but just for filling joints and minor things, and have never used Sculpey.

• Like 1

I agree you're doing fine work, so good luck as you continue.

On the basing, what did you use to keep the Sculpey from sticking to the block?  Did you need any kind of armature for the clay?  Do you lube your tools as you do with green stuff?  Do you have tips for someone who hasn't sculpted with Sculpey before?  I've worked with epoxy putties, but just for filling joints and minor things, and have never used Sculpey.

1) Nothing to prevent sticking, it popped right off with no trouble.

2) I don't know if an armature is necessary, but there is a brass post inside the tree stump, just in case.

3) No tool grease. This stuff really doesn't stick much. It's kind of like a soft wax consistency.

4) My #1 tip is to read "Corporea's Desk of Progress" and her Sculpey tutorial thread - It's what I did!  ^_^

Eyes look good from what I can see (taking close-ups is HARD).  Hopefully I'll be able to check her out in person at the next paint day.

I'll try to bring her along if I can make it.

Edited to add linkage.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1