CAV Construction

Hi Folks!

I know that the final CAV:SO book will have CAV Construction rules included but I have seen it mentioned that the data cards for CAV 1 & 2. Were those rules documented anywhere? Or were they purely internal and not-for-distribution?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite different. Game mechanics changed from 1 to 2, so while the basic idea behind a model stayed the same, the stats for it in one version were incompatible in the other. The same will be true for CAV:SO as some special abilities have change (some more than others), new SAs added, and combat mechanics are different (2d6 vs d10).

Thanks again Sergeant_Crunch!

I figured this was the case but wanted confirmation. I also read your CAV:SO review from ReaperCon. That was very useful.

The local group I've recently found plays CAV 2 and though they will be looking at CAV:SO, it's looking like they may stick with CAV 2. They do like the new sculpts and the idea of the construction rules, as do I, and we're trying to figure out how me might gain some of that kit bashing goodness with CAV 2, but it looks like we may need to reverse engineer it.

Folks have tried before and come close, but never exact. I figure there's enough variety in the cards available to not really need to worry about it.

That's actually one of the reasons I started to get turned off by Battletech. Between the design system and the TROs, the Mechs and vehicles basically boiled down to a handful of archetypes (missile boat, laser boat, short range, long range, all-rounder, how many gauss rifles can I fit), the only difference being the weight and specific load out. After a while they all started to look the same to me. While any Mech game is going to have that problem, CAV hasn't kept pumping out more of the same with different art and due to the differences in degradation curves models of the same archetype do maintain a certain personality to them. Dictator 70s behave quite differently than Wights in CAV2 (and I'm assuming CAV:SO) despite having very similar equipment due to slight differences in ranges of types of weapons and the way the models degrade when damaged.

• Like 1

we may need to reverse engineer it.

Good luck with that. ::):  As Sarge said, some tried before and came close, but no prize. I'd suggest searching through Mil-Net's forums. I know there's a decent sized thread somewhere there where one user posted all of the work he did. It would at least let you get started and get somewhere in the ball park for CAV 2 costs.

One of the best parts of CAV 2 IMO was no vehicle construction, you could change some things in a limited fashion but no min/max crunch with the CAVs. It was a much more tactical feel, as it should be. Once you have construction rules, it becomes a min/maxer paradise for munchkins and there goes the fun. 

• Like 1

I like to have construction rules because I like to kit bash and convert. I don't bother with the rules part until I've already created the mech though because I'm more interested in it looking cool than the rules for it. This has led to some neat looking but questionably useful creations in the past. ::): I figure in-universe that the companies producing those were low bidders for government contracts that got in over their heads. I wish that type thing only happened in fiction but I'm far too aware of real world cases, some from first hand experience. 1st Law of War: Always remember that your equipment was designed and made by the lowest bidder.

My understanding from hanging out with CAVBOSS at ReaperCon is that construction is there for those who want to tinker. Official tournaments will only allow official models only. But that's just my interpretation. 

I've never hung out with CAVBoss, at ReaperCon or elsewhere, but what you describe is how I would expect things to work. Tournaments should be run by the official rules, and for CAV:SO I have no doubt that will be the new rules coming out later this year. I was interested because the group I am getting ready to start playing CAV with are using the CAV 2 rules and I was hoping to include the new models coming out in my Force. Sarge and Chrome have provided enough advice to make the a set of Construction Rules for CAV 2 a mere curiosity at this point. I may still do something about it but only to satisfy, as I noted above, my inner engineer . . . At this point I'll pick a data card that seems appropriate and tweak it if I feel it needs it . . .