Sign in to follow this  
CatBat

Rainbow (Assorted Minis)

Wow! Great colors. Would love to see more details in better lit photos, though. 

Yeeeeah, I'm still learning how to camera. XP 

This is probably the weirdest, best, most original thing I've seen on these boards in a long time!
I especially want to see the blue guy.

• Like 2

This is probably the weirdest, best, most original thing I've seen on these boards in a long time!

I especially want to see the blue guy.

Ha! Thanks! I started just painting in colors I enjoyed and then was suddenly like "...why don't I just complete the spectrum? Yeah!"

The Blue Guy can be found in this thread if you're interested in more images of him! 

• Like 2

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55357-miniatures-photography-101/

He goes into good details about photographing miniatures, so maybe? I haven't tried it out yet, I don't have extra lights.

Gee, now would be a great time to remember all of that three point lighting and advanced camera stuff from my photo class, huh? Thanks a lot, brain.

I sadly don't even own my own camera. I stole my mom's. Ha! (To be fair, though, her camera is really nice. I just don't know anything about it.) 

Perhaps if I start looking into this more professionally I'll invest in some better equipment. I'll definitely have to set up a better backdrop, though.

• Like 3

For this particular project, I really like the group photo. It isn't the best photography, but it shows off the spectrum really nicely.

You've got a great style that I really like. It doesn't fit our conventional wisdom of mini painting, but that doesn't mean it doesn't look awesome.

And Vandorendra is one of my favorite Reaper models...you did some really cool stuff with her. I've never thought of her as blue, and I may have to steal it at some point. (she's the marilith/snake demoness, and one of the few minis I've painted more than once...and will likely paint again.)

• Like 1

For this particular project, I really like the group photo. It isn't the best photography, but it shows off the spectrum really nicely.

You've got a great style that I really like. It doesn't fit our conventional wisdom of mini painting, but that doesn't mean it doesn't look awesome.

And Vandorendra is one of my favorite Reaper models...you did some really cool stuff with her. I've never thought of her as blue, and I may have to steal it at some point. (she's the marilith/snake demoness, and one of the few minis I've painted more than once...and will likely paint again.)

Yeah, I've done all manner of artsy stuff in the past, but I've always been balls at photography. :P

Most of my friends who do minis do WH40k, which is so uniform and straight-cut. I figured I'd get bored with it, which is why I stuck to fantasy minis (plus I can use them for my Pathfinder games. Awww yis.) I really like color (just in case that wasn't apparent) and figured that the beginning phase would be one of the best to play with color before people expect me to actually be decent at it. :P 

As for Vandorendra, I quite literally google searched "pretty snakes" and picked this one to base her off of:

Snake3.jpg

I loooove snakes and think they're really beautiful, so I really wanted to look to real ones to inspire her design.

• Like 6

Good job. I remember you posting about the snake and saying you aren't even using miniatures paints, so what paint do you use? I am very impressed that you chose to try your hand at object source lighting with the undertaker and this is really your first batch of minis. It came out nicely and believably. Nicely done.

Good job. I remember you posting about the snake and saying you aren't even using miniatures paints, so what paint do you use? I am very impressed that you chose to try your hand at object source lighting with the undertaker and this is really your first batch of minis. It came out nicely and believably. Nicely done.

Yeah, I think I want to paint Undertaker again, but it'll probably be later. I love the model and I'm a little disappointed at how the lighting turned out.

As for what paints I use, I use Amsterdam and Art Creation (I have a few GW metallics and a neon yellow and gold from folk art as well.)

1610793_10152238193640826_42897018488918

I blend everything from the primaries, black, and white you see here. As well as my totally super clean and well-maintained palette. :P 

• Like 7

Blimey! I like your approach to color!

I so would like to see more of this.

I had noticed that WarHammer painters tend to be kind of regimented. This here is like the opposite. It's delightful!

• Like 4

I think your style would lend itself well to big scenes. Then the detail focus would not be on the individual but areas which you could suffuse with light and color. Either way, i noticed your increased concentration on detail. It is cool, i can't wait to see how you develop.

• Like 3