Ah. Yea, I stumbled on Citadel brushes and they last longer than the cheapy brushes from craft stores. Cost less than 8 dollars I think, but hey, it's going strong, so I'm happy. Used it on four bone miniatures so far (young dragon, ape-x, elquin, and something else...)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 brushes?? Looks at measly selection of 6. Stupid import rules for sable fur.

I didn't say I had 20 good brushes! In fact the very reason that I have so many is because I keep cheaping out on them and then getting frustrated and buying more. If it were a simple matter of buying some good quality kolinsky sable brushes, I'd have done it ages ago. But with the import rules, I feel a bit as though I'm stabbing into the dark when I go to purchase a brush, since those are all anyone ever recommends.

I ordered some W&N S7 from Jackson's Art Supplies at the end of July and they made it across the Atlantic with no problems.

• Like 2

20 brushes?? Looks at measly selection of 6. Stupid import rules for sable fur.

I didn't say I had 20 good brushes! In fact the very reason that I have so many is because I keep cheaping out on them and then getting frustrated and buying more. If it were a simple matter of buying some good quality kolinsky sable brushes, I'd have done it ages ago. But with the import rules, I feel a bit as though I'm stabbing into the dark when I go to purchase a brush, since those are all anyone ever recommends.

I ordered some W&N S7 from Jackson's Art Supplies at the end of July and they made it across the Atlantic with no problems.

And I picked up a bunch from Amazon without any issues as well.

• Like 1

The two brushes (da vinci and W&N) I've picked up from Amazon won't return to a point, they now have splits at the ends. The privateer press I purchased is pineapple ish, so that's now just a drybrush brush. So far I'm loving the Citadel one, if it continues to last this long without damage, I'll just purchase another from them later on.

I use pink soap and master soap to clean the brushes without luck. Bad batch most likely, but I'll wait until I can purchase some from my local game store.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi everyone.  I've been thinking a lot about color while painting recently.  It's been a major motivation for some of my more recent projects.  I wanted to talk about some of the things I've been doing and hoped that some of you would share your thoughts about color choice as well.

First of all, my paint collection is fairly modest.  Probably around 50.  But I'm a firm believer that you don't need a ton of different paints.  I add paints periodically to fill gaps - especially colors that I find myself struggling to mix well (purple continues to be a struggle and I need some better options).

I love the Reaper Triads - they're a great way to expand a collection and get colors that behave well together.  Also a great way to teach newer painters the philosophy behind layering.  For awhile I was running with the philosophy that I wanted to avoid mixing more than two colors at once.  Especially because it's harder to duplicate.  I was using the triads a lot as a guide while painting.

However, I have recently pushed away from using triads.  I have been playing around with more limited palettes.  Not exactly the 3 color challenge, but just really considering whether or not I need to grab a new bottle, or if I can mix what I want using something I already have.  With this philosophy, the triads clash.  So I definitely find myself grabbing the midtones most often.

I've been thinking of this as "mindfully limited palette."  Sometimes I grab the colors I know I want ahead of time, other times I'll grab a new color as I go.  Typically this involves a black and a white and then 5 or less unique colors.  Often a red, blue, yellow, and brown.  Though not necessarily the purest versions of those colors.  I might choose a greener blue.  Or a brownish red.

There's two ways I've been playing with this.  One is by leaning into a more monochromatic palette.  I have found it really fun and challenging to try to imagine the setting a mini is in and reflecting that environment in the color choices of the mini.  It's also a fun challenge to make many different shades and tones using similar colors.  This is what I had in mind while painting this Ice Witch, and Swamp Skeleton.

The other way I have been playing with these limited palettes is to try for a more unified tone, but not necessarily monochrome.  There's a painting theory behind a "mother color" where you mix a bit of one color into every other color on your palette.  While I haven't gone that far, I have found that reusing colors, even in different mixes, helps unify the piece.  Just like balancing colors across the mini.  I don't have as many good photos of this, as my best examples are the most recent minis I've been working on - really pushing color variety while using limited paints.  This Kobold is sort of like that, though he definitely is a bit more monochromatic.  I'll have to come back and add my more colorful examples.

What kind of color theory and challenges have you been playing with to motivate and push your painting?  Please feel free to share photo examples.  This has been a major source of excitement and motivation in my painting recently and I feel it's really improving my results.  I would love to see what everyone else is doing!
    • By Evilhalfling
      Snakeman Warrior - Painting Scales - Rhonda "Wren" Bender
      Sarah the Seeress- How to paint hair - Geoff Davis
      Enora, Iconic Arcanist   - Hey there shaky shaky, Beginner Freehand - Brice Cocanour

Must Paint all the things! 
      no sense leaving a mini half finished.  
      all the classes were fun, but basic.  they were good practice painting along.  I certainly don't regret taking them,.  
       It is hard to get in the moment feedback online - one of things I miss most about in person classes.  

The  camera work was good, and I could see most of the steps.  Bender's crayons were just as helpful in understanding. 

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      A long term resident of the Shelf of Incompletion. A year or so back I got the idea of swaping out his shovel for the ax from one of Reaper's weapon packs, but until recently didn't have much luck in getting it to stay glued. He's a rather interesting sculpt, his hat and coat are rather witch hunterlike, also I'm not able to determine a reason why the local grave digger needs armored shoulders, but his face and robe also make one wonder if perhaps he dabbles in necromancy on the weekends. Eventually I'll have to pick up another one of him, see what a necromancer conversion might turn out like...

It could be argued that an ax is a vital tool for undertakers, considering the likelihood of the local crypt containing a ghoul warren...

• By JJNiles
      Hi all, quick question what are some paints you would like to see from reaper? 

I would like to see a line of effect paints, such as a few different rust effects, something for a running oil or grease, and a very flat black for soot build up. 
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)