Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

Ral Partha Chimera

Looks great. If anyone criticizes your choice to have an abrupt transition between beast subtypes, don't let them. Chimeric organisms do exist in science, and some of them have abrupt transitions like this. It always amazes me how far miniatures have come since the old RP days, but you've managed to capture a lot of detail and added some real character to this old sculpt. Well done.

• Like 3

Looks great. If anyone criticizes your choice to have an abrupt transition between beast subtypes, don't let them. Chimeric organisms do exist in science, and some of them have abrupt transitions like this. It always amazes me how far miniatures have come since the old RP days, but you've managed to capture a lot of detail and added some real character to this old sculpt. Well done.

I was thinking nearly the same thing about Chimeric's and some of my studies and Uni. Very cool sculpt and well painted!

• Like 1

Thanks all for the very kind words everybody.  With the abruptness of the color transitions, I did that because A) I haven't really figured out blending subtly between two colors (any tutorial videos somewhere????) and B) I figured it would look pretty okay.  One thing I'm going to do with my next figure that will be using a bunch of similar colors, an old Julie Guthrie Kirin, is that I'm going to paint all the base colors first to cover the whole model first, and then afterwards work on the washing and shading, and with that probably combine washes to hopefully have it look more tied together.  We'll see how that works out.

• Like 1

Your painting is stunningly beautiful ! I bought a chimera like this one this morning in a garage sale, I'll try to paint it your way, but I don't think I'm able to do sa well.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Krystoff said:

Your painting is stunningly beautiful ! I bought a chimera like this one this morning in a garage sale, I'll try to paint it your way, but I don't think I'm able to do sa well.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks very much Krystoff for the kind words!  This is one I painted already when I look back at the first post already over four years ago!  I'm really jealous, I never find anything that cool in a garage sale or really anywhere! I just saw a Facebook post where somebody accidentally came across a Takhisis by accident, also hugely jealous:

Unexpected Takhisis purchase!

• Like 1

We'll, I'll comment on this resurrected topic. 

Mark, I think the whole thing is brilliant. The snake head and scale-like transition to his back are real stand out here. I also love the lion head; you brought out some great detail there with nose, mouth, and eyes.

But I think the under appreciated winner here is the goat head. It's hard to properly shade and highlight gray but you've done a standout job here and I wish there were another picture showing the goat head.

And just to randomly pick up on another old conversation, right now my painted minis are in storage and I'm painting in a motel room. I'll see if I can post something when I finish it, and if I ever dig my recent gnolls or pirates, they are good enough to post.

ill finish by mentioning I really appreciate the way you dip into mini history, showing off classic Ral Partha, HackMaster, and other figures. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Madog Barfog said:

We'll, I'll comment on this resurrected topic. 

Mark, I think the whole thing is brilliant. The snake head and scale-like transition to his back are real stand out here. I also love the lion head; you brought out some great detail there with nose, mouth, and eyes.

But I think the under appreciated winner here is the goat head. It's hard to properly shade and highlight gray but you've done a standout job here and I wish there were another picture showing the goat head.

And just to randomly pick up on another old conversation, right now my painted minis are in storage and I'm painting in a motel room. I'll see if I can post something when I finish it, and if I ever dig my recent gnolls or pirates, they are good enough to post.

ill finish by mentioning I really appreciate the way you dip into mini history, showing off classic Ral Partha, HackMaster, and other figures. 

Why thank you Madog!  Yeah, the goat part of the chimera is pretty much always the unsung hero of the trio of skulls, a lion is royal and fierce, a snake or a dragon is a sinister reptile, but the goat?  They just hang out, eat your tin cans and keep the grass short.  

Grey if I recall was kind of a random choice, not really knowing what color to choose, but with the black mane, I was able to mix it in with the lion's brown mane, which made life a little easier. 

I'm almost scared to ask why you're painting in a motel room, but whatever the reason, you really should post something up, I'm sure they're great, I remember some of the old stuff you used to post back in the day.

And thank you, I really do like painting older figures.  The Hackmaster stuff is fortuitous as it came back and is now being sold by Iron Wind/Ral Partha, so I've been kind of focusing on that lately!

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome, classic style Chimera!

Great job!

Thanks Glitterwolf, an old Julie Guthrie classic from the eighties! A little different with a snake tail instead of a third dragon head, but really cool in itself!

On 9/14/2014 at 8:32 PM, Finch said:

Great job on a classic sculpt.

Thank you Finch!  This is one of that kind of came out around the same time as the Julie Guthrie Hydra, which was seen briefly on Stranger Things.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Why thank you Madog!  Yeah, the goat part of the chimera is pretty much always the unsung hero of the trio of skulls, a lion is royal and fierce, a snake or a dragon is a sinister reptile, but the goat?  They just hang out, eat your tin cans and keep the grass short.  

Grey if I recall was kind of a random choice, not really knowing what color to choose, but with the black mane, I was able to mix it in with the lion's brown mane, which made life a little easier. 

I'm almost scared to ask why you're painting in a motel room, but whatever the reason, you really should post something up, I'm sure they're great, I remember some of the old stuff you used to post back in the day.

And thank you, I really do like painting older figures.  The Hackmaster stuff is fortuitous as it came back and is now being sold by Iron Wind/Ral Partha, so I've been kind of focusing on that lately!

Thanks Glitterwolf, an old Julie Guthrie classic from the eighties! A little different with a snake tail instead of a third dragon head, but really cool in itself!

Thank you Finch!  This is one of that kind of came out around the same time as the Julie Guthrie Hydra, which was seen briefly on Stranger Things.

I think this is more like the classical Chimera from medieval folklore looks like.

• Like 2