Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

Ral Partha Chimera

Recommended Posts

Looks great. If anyone criticizes your choice to have an abrupt transition between beast subtypes, don't let them. Chimeric organisms do exist in science, and some of them have abrupt transitions like this. It always amazes me how far miniatures have come since the old RP days, but you've managed to capture a lot of detail and added some real character to this old sculpt. Well done.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great. If anyone criticizes your choice to have an abrupt transition between beast subtypes, don't let them. Chimeric organisms do exist in science, and some of them have abrupt transitions like this. It always amazes me how far miniatures have come since the old RP days, but you've managed to capture a lot of detail and added some real character to this old sculpt. Well done.

 

I was thinking nearly the same thing about Chimeric's and some of my studies and Uni. Very cool sculpt and well painted!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the very kind words everybody.  With the abruptness of the color transitions, I did that because A) I haven't really figured out blending subtly between two colors (any tutorial videos somewhere????) and B) I figured it would look pretty okay.  One thing I'm going to do with my next figure that will be using a bunch of similar colors, an old Julie Guthrie Kirin, is that I'm going to paint all the base colors first to cover the whole model first, and then afterwards work on the washing and shading, and with that probably combine washes to hopefully have it look more tied together.  We'll see how that works out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your painting is stunningly beautiful ! I bought a chimera like this one this morning in a garage sale, I'll try to paint it your way, but I don't think I'm able to do sa well.

Thanks for the inspiration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Krystoff said:

Your painting is stunningly beautiful ! I bought a chimera like this one this morning in a garage sale, I'll try to paint it your way, but I don't think I'm able to do sa well.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks very much Krystoff for the kind words!  This is one I painted already when I look back at the first post already over four years ago!  I'm really jealous, I never find anything that cool in a garage sale or really anywhere! I just saw a Facebook post where somebody accidentally came across a Takhisis by accident, also hugely jealous:

 

Unexpected Takhisis purchase!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll, I'll comment on this resurrected topic. 

 

Mark, I think the whole thing is brilliant. The snake head and scale-like transition to his back are real stand out here. I also love the lion head; you brought out some great detail there with nose, mouth, and eyes.

 

But I think the under appreciated winner here is the goat head. It's hard to properly shade and highlight gray but you've done a standout job here and I wish there were another picture showing the goat head.

 

And just to randomly pick up on another old conversation, right now my painted minis are in storage and I'm painting in a motel room. I'll see if I can post something when I finish it, and if I ever dig my recent gnolls or pirates, they are good enough to post.

 

ill finish by mentioning I really appreciate the way you dip into mini history, showing off classic Ral Partha, HackMaster, and other figures. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Madog Barfog said:

We'll, I'll comment on this resurrected topic. 

 

Mark, I think the whole thing is brilliant. The snake head and scale-like transition to his back are real stand out here. I also love the lion head; you brought out some great detail there with nose, mouth, and eyes.

 

But I think the under appreciated winner here is the goat head. It's hard to properly shade and highlight gray but you've done a standout job here and I wish there were another picture showing the goat head.

 

And just to randomly pick up on another old conversation, right now my painted minis are in storage and I'm painting in a motel room. I'll see if I can post something when I finish it, and if I ever dig my recent gnolls or pirates, they are good enough to post.

 

ill finish by mentioning I really appreciate the way you dip into mini history, showing off classic Ral Partha, HackMaster, and other figures. 

Why thank you Madog!  Yeah, the goat part of the chimera is pretty much always the unsung hero of the trio of skulls, a lion is royal and fierce, a snake or a dragon is a sinister reptile, but the goat?  They just hang out, eat your tin cans and keep the grass short.  

Grey if I recall was kind of a random choice, not really knowing what color to choose, but with the black mane, I was able to mix it in with the lion's brown mane, which made life a little easier. 

 

I'm almost scared to ask why you're painting in a motel room, but whatever the reason, you really should post something up, I'm sure they're great, I remember some of the old stuff you used to post back in the day.

 

And thank you, I really do like painting older figures.  The Hackmaster stuff is fortuitous as it came back and is now being sold by Iron Wind/Ral Partha, so I've been kind of focusing on that lately!

 

 

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome, classic style Chimera!

Great job!

Thanks Glitterwolf, an old Julie Guthrie classic from the eighties! A little different with a snake tail instead of a third dragon head, but really cool in itself!

 

On 9/14/2014 at 8:32 PM, Finch said:

Great job on a classic sculpt.

Thank you Finch!  This is one of that kind of came out around the same time as the Julie Guthrie Hydra, which was seen briefly on Stranger Things.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Why thank you Madog!  Yeah, the goat part of the chimera is pretty much always the unsung hero of the trio of skulls, a lion is royal and fierce, a snake or a dragon is a sinister reptile, but the goat?  They just hang out, eat your tin cans and keep the grass short.  

Grey if I recall was kind of a random choice, not really knowing what color to choose, but with the black mane, I was able to mix it in with the lion's brown mane, which made life a little easier. 

 

I'm almost scared to ask why you're painting in a motel room, but whatever the reason, you really should post something up, I'm sure they're great, I remember some of the old stuff you used to post back in the day.

 

And thank you, I really do like painting older figures.  The Hackmaster stuff is fortuitous as it came back and is now being sold by Iron Wind/Ral Partha, so I've been kind of focusing on that lately!

 

 

Thanks Glitterwolf, an old Julie Guthrie classic from the eighties! A little different with a snake tail instead of a third dragon head, but really cool in itself!

 

Thank you Finch!  This is one of that kind of came out around the same time as the Julie Guthrie Hydra, which was seen briefly on Stranger Things.

 

I think this is more like the classical Chimera from medieval folklore looks like.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By 72moonglum
      Good morning everybody and Happy New Year!
       
      So I actually had these painted since the very beginning of the year, but had to go out of town and couldn't get their bases finished until I got back.  So here are my first miniatures completed for 2020, four lizard men that Julie Guthrie sculpted for Ral Partha if I recall correctly in 1982-1983 with her series All Things Dark and Dangerous.  I've always really loved these figures and have had them on my pending list of stuff to paint, but finally got around to really painting them.  I painted each one in a different color because I wanted a bit of variety.  They did all start of though being covered by a good layer of Creamy Ivory (Reaper) and then I did washes on all that, and then afterwards chose the actual color and kept going.
       
      Anyhow, hope you guys like these guys!
       


    • By 72moonglum
      So as the year comes to a close, this is my last miniature of 2019.    I thought my figure from a few days ago would be the last but I got lucky enough to have  time to squeeze one more in!
       
      This one is a Dennis Mize figure from who knows what year, but pretty old, and she was sitting on my desk for months already primed and ready to go. Somehow the inspiration took me and I started working on her a few days ago, and in delightful old class Partha form, her lack of additional dingly dangly items on her person made her a pretty quick paint job, just herself, her armor, shield, weapon and a belt.  So got her done a few nights ago, got the base done last night.
       
      With this gal, one of my issues (as always )was what I was going to put on her shield, because I never know what to do, but in a moment of inspiration it occurred to me that she could use an enchanted shield to make up for her limited visibility due to her poked out eyeball that would have been under that patch.  So I made the the opposite eye open on her shield and voila, I've solved her limited vision issue!
       
      So my total for 2019 was 60 miniatures, the majority Partha, but a smattering of Reaper as well.  Did two Thunderbolt Mountain minis as well.
       
       
      Anyhoos,  Happy 2020 everybody and we'll certainly speak next year with all next year with new miniatures to share!
       
      Mark
       

       
       
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 1 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...