ReaperCon 2015 Auction Speculation [split]

Heisler

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we once discussed how she likes chocolate cake. My chocolate cake is boss, I was going to bring one, depending on how we get there this year. That may provide a good bribery for corporea at least.

Realizing the Corporea did put in a miniature into the auction for 2014, the bribe probably doesn't have to be all that substantial.

Sanael won the figure. It was a Lich Lord looking figure with an astral patterned cloak that looked awesome. It went for 1900 if I'm correct. She actually thought she wouldn't get more than a hundred for it.

• Like 2

I think we once discussed how she likes chocolate cake. My chocolate cake is boss, I was going to bring one, depending on how we get there this year. That may provide a good bribery for corporea at least.

Realizing the Corporea did put in a miniature into the auction for 2014, the bribe probably doesn't have to be all that substantial.
Sanael won the figure. It was a Lich Lord looking figure with an astral patterned cloak that looked awesome. It went for 1900 if I'm correct. She actually thought she wouldn't get more than a hundred for it.

It's the Night Spectre from Warlord. Absolutely stunning piece, and I'm thrilled to have it in my display case.

I would also love to have a few more top-quality pieces on hand...if any of the instructors at Reapercon put pieces in, I'd be interested in bidding.

If that were to happen, I would suggest there be a display of those pieces by Saturday at least, to ensure people have the chance to see the collector's items. I'm not sure a lot of people knew the Night Spectre was up for bid until it was actually on the block.

• Like 4

I agree an auction listing would be nice to have. An online listing posted on Thursday or Friday would be even better. I understand there will always be last minute additions to the auction, but having the bulk of the items listed beforehand would be nice.

• Like 1

it's why if I ever actually get a Tiamacrab mini made, it wouldn't be Tiamacrab...it'd be a hydra-crab =P and then I can paint it up and name it whatever the heck I want!

So, I just realized that if a DYOM is offered at the auction, instead of trying to acquire one for myself, a far better use of my ReaperBucks would be to give them to Siri so she can get a "hydra-crab" made. And then I can have one too!   :bday:   :wub:

EDIT: Oh yes, an auction listing would be FANTASTIC!! :D Because then I'd be able to go into it with at least some idea of what I'd want to bid for ahead of time.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

While not really marked... sometime Friday afternoon, a table appeared at the last Reapercon with items that were going into the Auction.  Slowly, through sunday, items began appearing on that table...  A couple bags of basing supplies, two minis, a resin version of Nethyrmaul?, a Hirst Arts Gothic Chess Board.  Sunday, I believe just before the Auction started, the hoodies, phone covers, and other things showed up on the table.

• Like 3

I don't think the auction is meant to be too regimented.  After all, it is set up as a big "thank you" to everyone who participated over the weekend as the only way you have "money" to bid with is through participation in games and classes.

What I've noticed over the past few years is that there is a lot of pooling of Reaperbucks by clubs and groups in order to get the "big stuff".  Unless you are part of these, there is not much chance at getting those prizes.  For example, Brad and I packed our schedule last year and ended up with about 2700 Reaperbucks.  The first year I went, this would have been great for some amazing items.  This year, we were able to snag a pair of Sophie pint glasses.  I'm not complaining. We are very thankful for any souvenir of a great weekend.  Reaper doesn't have to do an auction this way but it is a testament to the kind of people they are.

My advice, have a great time and enjoy the atmosphere that the auction creates.  If you are lucky enough to be there with a group, pool you money.  If you are traveling by yourself, make friends.  Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the ride :)

• Like 1

Yeah the competition for that paint set was pretty extreme. for a DYOM I can imagine it being just as amazing. I doubt that a group would go in for something like that BUT a hardcore couple or two and polite donators to others can make that an entertaining experience. This is even assuming that they'll be doing a DYOM next year. Reaper has A TON on their plate at the moment with CAV to complete during that time, getting bones2 and bones 2 paints out onto the shelves, ReaperCon planning, Con planning, potential kickstarter planning, and just being awesome. 

• Like 2

There were two groups that had pooled Reaper Bucks for a DYOM mini last year.  One was going for a cheese cake male mini and the the other was trying to get a vejlin tribute mini made.  I tried to broker a deal between the two groups for a cheese cake veljin mini, but it didn't get finalized before we found out there was no DYOM this year.  I missed all of the auction shenanigans this year as I had a class sheduled during he same time.  Not complaining as I ended up with one-on-one airbrush lesson with Aaron Lovejoy as I was the only student.

• Like 3

Yeah the competition for that paint set was pretty extreme. for a DYOM I can imagine it being just as amazing. I doubt that a group would go in for something like that BUT a hardcore couple or two and polite donators to others can make that an entertaining experience. This is even assuming that they'll be doing a DYOM next year. Reaper has A TON on their plate at the moment with CAV to complete during that time, getting bones2 and bones 2 paints out onto the shelves, ReaperCon planning, Con planning, potential kickstarter planning, and just being awesome. 

DYOMs have been all of the place on the pricing scale. I have seen them go really high (although never the highest) and I have seen them go relatively low. Depends on the crowd.

• Like 2

I think my first DYOM was the high item that year, Kris. I'm also pretty certain that the one from the next year was also high item in that auction. Since then, however, they have been all over the place. The one from 2 years ago went stunningly low, IMO. (For those not aware, 03370 and 50287 are both DYOMs)

The biggest factor in the fluctuations in the auction market from year to year has been, I think, in the method(s) of distributing Reaperbucks. There was a couple-year period where swag points had a major impact; when they were removed, the market tightened up. I think the current system (which basically rewards you for how much you *do* at the con - be it play games, take classes, attend banquets, etc) is probably one of the most balanced and equitable.

Short of outlawing pooling (how would you even enforce this?), the biggest ticket items are always going to go for the largest amounts of RB, and be out of the reach of a single person (or even just a couple). Of course, this leaves the winner(s) with the question of "who takes home the big item?", but that is the price they pay for pooling. While this is certainly hindsight, the 2700 RB figure that Kevin mentioned earlier was good enough to win any of the items except 6 from the auction this past year. If you knew what you wanted and what you were willing to pay for it, you could easily have stretched that into multiple items.

There have been some really good ideas in this thread; I hope some of them make the cut for next year. I think the DYOM has been one of the most personal and unique items in the auction in the past; it would be good for it to return again.

~v

• Like 3

My 2 cents:

1. DYOM

2. Fill your own paint pistol case

3. Con banners, art, etc.

4. Reaper branded shot glasses, high balls, etc.

5. Original art. It would be awesome to have some original Talin concept art.

6. Paint Crew paint one mini of your choice

7. Reaper branded custom dice (just trying to think of some smaller items, for those that aren't bidding as a block)

Basically, anything that is unique and otherwise unattainable.

I really have to echo the "Basically, anything that is unique and otherwise unattainable." suggestion. I would add 8. Painting classes at next year's convention. I would also recommend you make a list of the things that only Reaper minis has access to, specialty minis for instance, then pick something from that list.

buckyball

Edited by buckyball