ReaperCon 2015 Auction Speculation [split]

Heisler

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume that at the end of the auction there's likely a bunch of people with handfuls of Reaperbucks left over (either they didn't need them to win something, or didn't have enough to outbid other users). Since I live far, far away (but not quite Star Wars far, far away) I won't really get to participate so my suggestion below is with limited knowledge of how it all works.Could I propose that there be a some smallish additional prizes that are handled as a raffle rather than a straight auction - each person puts their name on the back of the Reaperbuck and hands it in - each Reaperbuck piece of paper is an entry ticket, so if you have say 20 left at the end, that can be 20 entries. Then once the room has put in their entries, the Reaper peeps do the prize draw for as many prizes as are available.I realise this isn't an auction and don't want to derail the thread but it just occurs to me that this type of "mop up" raffle draw would be a good fair chance for everyone to get something, and those who happened to accumulate more bucks by taking part in lots of events are still favoured by having more chances in the draw. Would make for some nice final excitement for the event.

The drawback I see with this, and bear in mind that I've never attended Reapercon myself, is that to my understanding the Auction is the final event of the last day and the end of the auction signals the end of the con.

I don't know how many people stay for the auction, but I imagine it would be a fairly substantial amount.

By its nature of using left over Reaperbucks, you wouldn't be able to distribute the raffle tickets and gather the Reaperbucks until the end of the auction, thereby now making the Raffle the final event... And how much time is that going to add to the end of the day when your dealing with 50,100, 200 or more tired people now all scrambling to look for and find their unused Reaperbucks.

I presume that at the end of the auction there's likely a bunch of people with handfuls of Reaperbucks left over (either they didn't need them to win something, or didn't have enough to outbid other users). Since I live far, far away (but not quite Star Wars far, far away) I won't really get to participate so my suggestion below is with limited knowledge of how it all works.

Could I propose that there be a some smallish additional prizes that are handled as a raffle rather than a straight auction - each person puts their name on the back of the Reaperbuck and hands it in - each Reaperbuck piece of paper is an entry ticket, so if you have say 20 left at the end, that can be 20 entries. Then once the room has put in their entries, the Reaper peeps do the prize draw for as many prizes as are available.

I realise this isn't an auction and don't want to derail the thread but it just occurs to me that this type of "mop up" raffle draw would be a good fair chance for everyone to get something, and those who happened to accumulate more bucks by taking part in lots of events are still favoured by having more chances in the draw. Would make for some nice final excitement for the event.

I have received this suggestion before, and it might even be in the beginning of this thread. Personally I'm not adverse to doing a raffle but it would have to be finished before the auction. The auction is the last event and a raffle would just serve to confuse things at the end of a long 4 days. People would just have to make a choice before hand on whether they are going to participate in the auction or participate in the raffle and there by reduce the amount of con bucks they have available for the auction. Plus I would miss the excitement of seeing how much the last tiny item I auction off ends up going for.

Whether to have a raffle or not is not my decision, Reaper will have to make the call on that.

• Members

If you did it, I'd recommend a 'Chinese' or basket auction and have it end when there are 5 items left in the live auction. That way the baskets can be gathered up and ready to be drawn from when the auction ends. Also allows someone who wants an item that goes early in the live auction to bid.

If you did it, I'd recommend a 'Chinese' or basket auction and have it end when there are 5 items left in the live auction. That way the baskets can be gathered up and ready to be drawn from when the auction ends. Also allows someone who wants an item that goes early in the live auction to bid.

I'm willing to discuss it but I, personally, don't want to end the show with a raffle. I don't have the staff to handle people buying tickets into the raffle during the auction, I already draw heavily on volunteers and they start to get light by Sunday afternoon when people are trying to get out to make their Sunday night flights.

• Like 3

Its always hard to tell how much stuff I'm going to have at the auction. I think 2014 was a little small, but I think its mostly because some things just slipped through the cracks because of the new location. I don't mind "selling" stuff that people bring to help fill things up. PM me about what your are thinking about and we can discuss it offline (mostly because I like to keep things like this as a surprise for when people actually arrive).

Message sent.

I'd forgotten about this for a little bit, and I'm not sure why it popped into me head now, but I really liked the quick sketches that Izzy did on some of the pre-release Bones item packages from '13. They seemed like great "filler" items in the auction; they were unique (appealing to the collector), yet had a low enough price-point to be attainable for those that didn't pool their ReaperBucks.

Also, if there are special items that are done for the banquets again, a set or two of those as auction items would also be nice, as it allows those that couldn't/didn't attend to still get a set.

~v

• Like 2

I have received this suggestion before, and it might even be in the beginning of this thread. Personally I'm not adverse to doing a raffle but it would have to be finished before the auction. The auction is the last event and a raffle would just serve to confuse things at the end of a long 4 days. People would just have to make a choice before hand on whether they are going to participate in the auction or participate in the raffle and there by reduce the amount of con bucks they have available for the auction. Plus I would miss the excitement of seeing how much the last tiny item I auction off ends up going for.

I am all thumbs up for this idea.  The amount of Reaperbucks I had was on the low side and if I could have put them down for X number of tickets to have even a small chance of winning something I would have been tossing them at someone very quickly for my tickets. 

Being a poker player I am also always up for a tournament where players use reaper bucks to enter and that is what will be paid out at the end to the top places...but i digress from what this thread is all about. :)

I am all thumbs up for this idea.  The amount of Reaperbucks I had was on the low side and if I could have put them down for X number of tickets to have even a small chance of winning something I would have been tossing them at someone very quickly for my tickets. 

Being a poker player I am also always up for a tournament where players use reaper bucks to enter and that is what will be paid out at the end to the top places...but i digress from what this thread is all about. :)

Duly noted

Releasing a little bit of information to chum the waters so to speak. While other auction details are stilling being worked out, Adrienne, Ron and I have agreed to give a ReaperBuck Prize Raffle, either before or during the auction, a try.

Things we have agreed on:

1) Tickets will be purchased with ReaperBucks, how much per ticket is unknown at this point.

2) All tickets will be sold before the auction, there will be no sales of tickets after the auction has started. I'm not sure where we will sell them at this point. So details to be worked out.

3) Ron will pick out some cool prizes maybe five, possibly fewer. They may be duplicates of stuff that will be auctioned off.

4) When we will pull the tickets has to be worked out, it may be at the beginning, it may be in the middle, it may be spread out. It WILL NOT BE at the end! (No negotiations, possible disintegrations on this point...in other words don't even bother trying to make me change my mind on this point). 

• Like 9

3) Ron will pick out some cool prizes maybe five, possibly fewer. They may be duplicates of stuff that will be auctioned off.

Woot!  Paint kit?! :)

I like this idea because it gives someone with a couple hundred an option to maybe get something since most of the big bucks will be saved to use on big auction items.

Presuming it happens before the auction, will you have to be at the auction in order to receive the raffle item, or can it be shipped to you.  Given the time for a lot of flights out, not everyone may be able to stay through the auction to receive their raffle winnings.

Presuming it happens before the auction, will you have to be at the auction in order to receive the raffle item, or can it be shipped to you.  Given the time for a lot of flights out, not everyone may be able to stay through the auction to receive their raffle winnings.

Don't know, I'll add that to the list of things we need to work out.