Minion Miniatures Kickstarter has Launched!!

MonkeySloth

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why they went with Goblins and Zombies. If there are two things the miniatures world doesn't need more of its goblins and zombies (oh and dwarves, but that goes without saying).

Why not make hawkmen and satyrs, or fishmen and duergar?

• Like 1

I'm a bit worried about the exceptionally high funding target.  I know the molds aren't cheap, but the first stretch goal (which appears to be a paid add on) is another £30k above initial funding?  and the first free adds are at another £15k above that?  Or did I miss something?  The bugbear is awesome though, so I might just get that.  And the concept art for the Lizardkin does intrigue me.

Ok, I did miss something.  The first stretch goal does give a sprue of 2 commanders for every 4 sprues you've purchased.  My bad....

Edited by Dan d'Lyon

I'm a bit worried about the exceptionally high funding target.  I know the molds aren't cheap, but the first stretch goal (which appears to be a paid add on) is another £30k above initial funding?  and the first free adds are at another £15k above that?  Or did I miss something?  The bugbear is awesome though, so I might just get that.  And the concept art for the Lizardkin does intrigue me.

Ok, I did miss something.  The first stretch goal does give a sprue of 2 commanders for every 4 sprues you've purchased.  My bad....

It does seem extremely high to me too. And the distances between goals is quite a stretch.

I have no clue what Renedra charges. Has to be expensive stuff to get made unless the goal includes a lot of other expenses.

Wish we had some sort of expenditure thingamajig as without it's very easy to jump to other conclusions as to where money ends up.

I don't understand why they went with Goblins and Zombies. If there are two things the miniatures world doesn't need more of its goblins and zombies (oh and dwarves, but that goes without saying).

I'd normally agree with you but his goblins are amazing. I hate the traditional GW goblin that's so pervasive in the hobby and this is the best thing for them since Rackham.

The real reason, I believe, that he went for them (especially zombies) is these are two "races" that when players use (weather for RPGS or Wargames) that you need a lot of as he has to convince a lot of people to back at a lot of minis to hit that funding goal with really only 4 different sprues.

• Like 1

To justify making the molds for these high quality plastics they have be able to sell large numbers of all their models otherwise it would be cheaper to do them in resin. 

The choice of goblins make particular sense because the Mantic versions don't have the same high reputation as Mantic's undead or orcs.  

It does seem extremely high to me too. And the distances between goals is quite a stretch.

I have no clue what Renedra charges. Has to be expensive stuff to get made unless the goal includes a lot of other expenses.

Wish we had some sort of expenditure thingamajig as without it's very easy to jump to other conclusions as to where money ends up.

Renedra do steel tooling for High Impact Polystyrene, and it's not cheap... as an example, a typical Perry Miniatures historical box set will contain a large sprue with 12 infantry figures, and a small sprue with command figures. The steel tooling for those 2 sprues will cost generally between £23000 to £35000.  Add in the costs of art, and sculpting the 3-up models, and it's not difficult to see where the funding total comes from.

Personally, I'll be surprised if this one funds; it's aimed at fantasy mass battle players, and I honestly don't think that's as big a market as some people think. I wish them luck though - I really like the goblins!

• Like 2