Minion Miniatures Kickstarter has Launched!!

MonkeySloth

It does seem extremely high to me too. And the distances between goals is quite a stretch.

I have no clue what Renedra charges. Has to be expensive stuff to get made unless the goal includes a lot of other expenses.

Wish we had some sort of expenditure thingamajig as without it's very easy to jump to other conclusions as to where money ends up.

Renedra do steel tooling for High Impact Polystyrene, and it's not cheap... as an example, a typical Perry Miniatures historical box set will contain a large sprue with 12 infantry figures, and a small sprue with command figures. The steel tooling for those 2 sprues will cost generally between £23000 to £35000.  Add in the costs of art, and sculpting the 3-up models, and it's not difficult to see where the funding total comes from.

Personally, I'll be surprised if this one funds; it's aimed at fantasy mass battle players, and I honestly don't think that's as big a market as some people think. I wish them luck though - I really like the goblins!

They are really nice goblins. As a former Fantasy Mass Battle player I personally have all the goblins I could ever need and I suspect whatever size the Fantasy Mass Battle player market is --- I'm kinda thinking it is flooded with goblins,

But an  army of those bugbears----that could proxy for a Fantasy Ogre Army----there's a thought.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem extremely high to me too. And the distances between goals is quite a stretch.

I have no clue what Renedra charges. Has to be expensive stuff to get made unless the goal includes a lot of other expenses.

Wish we had some sort of expenditure thingamajig as without it's very easy to jump to other conclusions as to where money ends up.

Renedra do steel tooling for High Impact Polystyrene, and it's not cheap... as an example, a typical Perry Miniatures historical box set will contain a large sprue with 12 infantry figures, and a small sprue with command figures. The steel tooling for those 2 sprues will cost generally between £23000 to £35000.  Add in the costs of art, and sculpting the 3-up models, and it's not difficult to see where the funding total comes from.

Personally, I'll be surprised if this one funds; it's aimed at fantasy mass battle players, and I honestly don't think that's as big a market as some people think. I wish them luck though - I really like the goblins!

Thanks for the information! That's what I wanted to know and it fits with the funded goal pretty well.

It is still terribly high though, so we'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

I went in for the 4 sprues. I'm thinking 2 zombies, 1 goblin archers and 1 goblins with hand weapons. One can never have enough zombies. I hope this funds.

EDIT: I also have the BONES 1 zombies and the two packs of Sturmzombies from Grindhouse. Man, those ones are cool.

Edited by dsmiles

Atm I'm in for a starter set. 72 minis are a bit much for me, but I'm pretty sure I'll find somebody to take 20 or so off my hands. I was hoping that this would reach at least the first stretch goals (command sprue and later on the Overlords) ... if it doesn't (and it looks like it will be very difficult), I might drop down to 24 minis ... (if it funds at all, which I hope it does ... I'm a sucker for highly customizable plastic minis).

This is to me unfortunately looking very unlikely to get funded. I guess the demand for goblin and zombie hordes just wasn't enough to warrant the high goal needed for plastic production (which is sad, as it looks like a lot of thought and work went into setting everything up for that production). I bet a campaign for that bugbear and some of the other big beasts in resin would be pretty succesful though. Maybe the goblins in resin too; they are really cool sculpts.

I would have hoped that GW's current Nagash related events and every wizard being able to summon undead would have led to an increased interest in zombie miniatures. Especially as GW are still running with the very dated looking military muscle man proportioned ones.

Hello guys,

This is my first Kickstarter and I have made a few mistakes.  I am thinking of relaunching in metal and resin to get the range established and at a much lower goal, possibly around the £10k mark.  A lot of people have given price estimates for the tooling and no one has been even remotely close!  Tooling costs are extremely high but for the quality Renedra produces I think they are justified.  Getting the two sprues done on their own would be £20k higher than the top end estimates given.  I realise that asking for this much money as a new start business was probably misguided.

I am going to leave the KS running for a few more days to see what happens but then I will work on re releasing the project in metal and resin with more of a focus on my own ruleset than producing an attractive KS for users of other systems.

This will have the added benefit of the stretchgoals being reached sooner and lots cool miniatures becoming available.  I would like to hear your thoughts on this and perhaps adding in the plastic minis as top end stretch goal.  Also, is relaunching a KS viewed as a negative by the community or do people generally understand when this sort of thing happens?

• Like 3

Also, is relaunching a KS viewed as a negative by the community or do people generally understand when this sort of thing happens?

I don't  think I've ever seen a negative comment about that, especially when the campaign is restructured which it sounds like you are planning to do. The only thing that really gets frowned on is when several projects are run back to back without the first being fulfilled.

A smaller target with more stretch goals definitely hits that feeling of reward from backers which keeps the interest up. Also new backers are more likely to join when that first goal has been reached. If it's not within the first few days it seems to put a lot of people off.