Minion Miniatures Kickstarter has Launched!!

MonkeySloth

Thanks Nocturne... that makes sense.  Do you think £10k would be realistic.  We would be planning to change it up a bit with pledges aiming at delivering 6 goblins in 6 different poses, a resin chieftain plus the Bugbear Ironshield.  That would be around £35.  We would then look at a Faction pledge of £65 with 2 character models (the chieftain and Skulk perhaps), 12 goblins and 2 Bugbears.  (the monster options, known as Brutes, would be interchangeable once stretchgoals had been hit.  The Starter set would be an EB (Limited to 200) with two factions in it, one Goblin and one Zombie with some game extras for £110. That would end up being 24 minions in metal, 4 resin characters and 4 bug monsters plus dice and templates for £110.  Does that seem reasonable?

The only other pledge discussed so far is the Host pledge at 3 Character models, 24 troops, 3 brutes for £95.

That would be free UK shipping and US shipping and Euro Shipping would be £10 and ROW at £15.

Stretchgoals would be at £3k intervals with two minis unlocked at each stretchgoal.  Purchasing larger pledges will give you discounts in the addon store.  For instance Starter set would be 25% of all minis in the addon store.  Because of how low the stretchgoal tiers will be it is impossible to make the SG's freebies as they are in the current KS but I think the discount will help alleviate that concern a bit.

Does this setup seem more realistic/attractive to people?

• Like 3

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Relaunching seems like the way to go. I think a small campaign for resin/metal with the funding goal for just the bugbear and flesh golem would do pretty well. Perhaps a few more big 'uns and characters as stretch goals, you have a lot of nice concept art ready to go. I would skip the plastic for now; I don't think a campaign for £40K for just the goblins would get funded either to be honest. Would it be viable to do some of the goblins in resin/metal? They are really nice.

Remember, your first Kickstarter doesn't have to be huge; it can actually be worth a lot to have a small campaign that you manage to deliver without any major snags, thereby building up your reputation. A good example of this is Oathsworn, his first campaign 16 months ago was for a rather small number of dwarves, which he managed to deliver very efficiently and on time; he has since then run three additional campaigns. So I wouldn't go crazy with the stretch goals, actually, trying to get everything in; there are others who have done this and are still struggling to get things out the door, their reputations torn to shreds.

Oh, and as Nocturne said, I would definitely not worry about relaunching putting people off, that should not be a problem.

• Like 2

Sorry Kaine, I didn't see your post before I posted there. I think I would actually try to keep everything more a la carte than what you describe. I bet there are quite a few people who might be interested in only the bugbear, for example, and if the best way to get him is to also pledge for a lot of goblins they might actually be put off by that. Have you toyed with the idea of basically just having everything as an add-on store, and then go with pledge levels kind of like this:

£25 - £25 worth of stuff from the add-on store

£50 - £60 worth of stuff from the add-on store

£100 - £130 worth of stuff from the add-on store

Or something.

Will there be a game system? If not I wouldn't bother including dice and templates. £10K does seem like a reasonable starting goal!

• Like 2

Theres a game system downloadable on the current Kickstarter... its called Underdeep.  I will also have pledge levels beneath those shown including a Character model only, Brute only (including the Flesh Golem and Bugbear Ironshield form the off.  I will also have a goblins/zombies only pledge level too for around 6 of the blighters.  Then the bigger pledges would come in.  I am going to focus more on our own rules the second time round as they seem to have got lost in the current KS.  The next KS will be the UNDERDEEP KS and focused primarily on the game itself, factions for use in the game, although individual monsters would also be available.

Good idea about a more game focused KS, but try to limit the number of different pledge levels.  Keeping things simple is the way to go.  If you offer a lot of pledge levels, inevitably people will get confused and may decide that it's just not worth the effort of figuring out what they are pledging for.

• Like 1

I would say your best bet is to keep it miniatures-focused and get some of these sweet designs cast in resin and metal. I would avoid going too a-la-carte, depending on the man-hours you can devote to sorting, packing, etc. I am a firm believer in limiting the scope for screw-ups, or to paraphrase Murphy, the fewer things CAN screw up, the fewer things WILL screw up at the worst possible moment.

Breaking straight into hard plastics is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge goal for your first foray, or for the first move in this particular business plan. My small observation is that Kickstarters are rewarded best for producing sweet-looking product (you got that!) with a lot of variety (not so much) and either a really nice starting line-up, pretty much just working as a pre-order, or a series of sweet unlocks that start coming up almost immediately.

Also, everyone loves zombies.

Sooooo... I'd start with a crew of unique goblin characters, adding more characters, troops, and such via unlocks. Definitely the bugbear should be up there early, either as an add-on from the get-go, or as the first, planned to be inevitable, unlock. But certainly, in metal and resin, characters and monsters rather than troops will probably get you the most eyeballs.

I'd have the zombies in hard plastic as your ultimate unlock, like every *whatever the sweet-spot pledge is* gets a free sprue or something awesome like that, with a pretty big troop of them as an add-on. Again, don't offer too many options. One free sprue, or like 20 zombies as an add-on.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys.  This is the basic format we have come up with so far.

£1 Pledge - access to the addon store

£8 Pledge - Champion of your choice - Goblin Skulk, Goblin Cheiftain, Necromancer or Wight Champion (renders or models will be complete for all of these)

£12 Pledge - Minion Pledge - 6 Zombie Gravewalkers or Goblin Warriors in metal.  6 varients of each race.

£18 Pledge - Brute - Bugbear Ironshield and Flesh Golem.  (I have redcuded the Bugbear Ironshield in size slightly to accomodate a decrease in cost.)

£32 Pledge - War Party - 1 Champion, 6 Minions and a Brute. (Mix and match from what is available or from unlocks)

£65 Pledge - Faction - 2 Champions, 12 Minions and 2 Brutes.  (Mix and match from what is available or from unlocks)

£110 Starter Set - 2 x Factions.  1 Zombie and 1 Goblin. Early Bird 200.

And I'll probably leave it at that.

That will be a £10k funding goal.

Stretchgoals would be:

£13k - Goblin Shaman and Rothounds (3 variants) 

£16k - Liche Priest and Wolfraiders (3 variants)

£19k - Hobgoblin Warmaster and Ghoul Scavengers

£22k - Necromaster and Goblin Headcleavers

This list would go on a bit here until the whole range is complete.

We would then add the Zombie sprue if the funding goes very well!

This way we can flesh out the range which is what we want to do with more miniatures available at launch.

• Like 1

I can't tell you how to do business, and wouldn't try.

BUT!  (Heh, heh heh) I'd keep the basic pledges static. So the War party would be one or the other of fixed Goblin or Undead war parties. Then allow add-ons. The more mixing you have the more potential for screw-ups and angry customers, but also the more of your budget needs to go towards handling, packing, and logistics (tracking stock, etc). That means less tangible value in numbers of minis - and that IS how most people will judge the value, quality and quantity. There's always someone whining about having to get one miniature they didn't want, but ignore them, they're irrelevant. It also means less money going to you, the line, and its future.

The war parties seem a reasonable chunk, not too fiddly for you, not so pricey nobody will go for them; I'd keep them fixed and drop the "Faction" set, which exactly duplicates 2x War Party anyway. Then if you have "Starter Set" it needs to have something that 4x War party doesn't. Maybe it's the lowest level that qualifies for freebies as the unlocks proceed? Maybe it gets a couple of freebies or special content to start with - the art looks awesome, how about a high-quality art print? Variants of the models so far released? KS exclusive resin master versions of the metal dudes? Some folks will swap a kidney for a nice resin figure.

In short, don't bother with anything that doesn't have pull for new pledges, pull for higher pledges, at the maximum bang for the customer's buck (swap one goblin for one zombie? Not much bang) and the minimum risk / worst-possible-buggarup-potential for you.

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 3

hey Kaine, if I could offer one piece of advice on the BugBear, reduce it in size to match as many current manufacturers as possible, Trust me man. Swimming against the stream is REALLY difficult and never gets easier.

I'd listen to Tre here as he's run some very successful kickstarters and has had his lumps along the way. (BTW Tre, looking forward to your next one  :;): )

• Like 3