Kharsin

Year of the Giants: Part I - Kaya the Reaper

Okay! It is fantastic to be getting back to people and critters after the SciFi contest. I figured I need to get started on The Year of the Giants or else I may get engrossed in the Fall Exchange and run outta time like I did last.. er... time. To start with, I'm doing the normal sized person in my diorama first. My goal is to make her detachable as a game piece as well, so we'll have to see how that turns out. 

I've started with Kaya the Reaper (14600) because, well, I was ready to paint a lady. My inspiration for Kaya came from Lagertha from History Channel's Vikings show. I had a thing for blondes when I was a kid so, I guess this came naturally  :blush:  Anyway, I'm still kicking around ideas for the diorama but I'm pretty sure I know which direction I'm going. Using Kaya has forced me to research snow, thus my post earlier yesterday. Anyhoo, here's the paint progression over the past day or so. I had to keep starting and stopping due to various things, but I think she's progressing nicely. Note that all of these pics are taken with the camera set to low res to save on size. I only use high res for my fancy finished photo set up.

Primed! There were several spots of flashing I missed, so I tried to remove as much as possible in progress. There are several spots I found impossible to get to with files or hobby knife. Has anyone used a dremel with a round burr to remove flashing in crazy places? It seems like that would be the only thing that would work... Hmmm.... 

post-12973-0-63194100-1410593353_thumb.jpg

Orangy! This is a mixture of MSP Golden Shadow and Fair Skin Shadow. I like Golden Skin, but figured since it's winter, I'd throw in some fair skin to lighten it up. 

post-12973-0-37213800-1410593354_thumb.jpg

I really don't remember the progression for the hair. I started with Blonde Shadow, then added several washes with colors like Ruddy Leather, Walnut Brown, etc. to get the dark recesses I wanted. This is just Blonde Shadow... I think....

post-12973-0-99563600-1410593361_thumb.jpg

Starting to get somewhere...

post-12973-0-16056900-1410593370_thumb.jpg

And we called it quitsies for tonight! To save from too many photos, this is my only 360 series. I'm liking where she's going.

post-12973-0-68757300-1410593404_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-81241300-1410593405_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-90375400-1410593406_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-84950400-1410593407_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-89635900-1410593408_thumb.jpg

So that's it for tonight! I've decided that I'm a pretty spastic painter in that there really is no rhyme or reason to what I paint when. Her eyes did give me fits as they're small for the size of the figure, but then again, eyes always give me fit. 

Thanks for checking out my WIP! I'll try to post more tomorrow. At this rate she may be finished by Monday or so, depending on how the snow experiment goes...

-K

P.S.: Can somebody tell me why on earth Kaya is so friggin' big? Compared to a normal Reaper mini, she's huge! She's not giant-sized (I think) but she's a full head taller than most human sized minis. Again, I don't game so are the barbarians bigger than the normal people? Just curious! She's a beautiful sculpt, but she's a big girl!

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 22

While I've never personally used a dremel for that purpose I don't know why it wouldn't work.  I have seen a number of other people mention that they use their dremels for mini cleaning, and since I read it on the internet it must be true.

• Like 1

Everything's bigger up north in the land of the frost giants.

Your leathers look great on Kaya, and her hair has a lot of interest and texture. This is turning out great so far.

• Like 1

This is a reallyfantastic sculpt - I've never seen it before! Love the blond hair, and the furry boots are great too - this might be one I have to pick up...

• Like 1

This is a reallyfantastic sculpt - I've never seen it before! Love the blond hair, and the furry boots are great too - this might be one I have to pick up...

What this guy said. Definitely picking one up too!

• Like 1

Yes, she is an awesome sculpt! I don't recall where I dug her up from. I think I tend to look for sculpts that fit a concept of a diorama in my head, and throw them in the cart for months until I need/buy them. I'm going to finish roughing her in then spend some time refining, before she sticks me with that what looks to be about an 86lb. spearhead....

I loves me some Kaya, and you did a vurra nice job with a vurra nice figure!

EDIT: And now that I look at it again, you've given me some fine ideas about how to do big thick hair manes.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 1

For the Dremel question, I've found the rubber cone-shaped polishers work well.  I understand small engraving bits and diamond bits can also be used, but haven't tried them (though I do own them).  Another type I've heard of, but don't own, are jeweler's bits called polishing pins, 2mm wide cylinders made of various grits of rubbery material.  They can be ground down with sandpaper to get a point.  They ought to work like the cone polishers, just smaller.

I like to use plastic sanding needles and a fine-point diamond bead reamer to get in tight spots.  They also make rifflers which are like curved files to get in odd places.  Sometimes a curved scalpel can get in better than a straight hobby blade, and they are really sharp.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to research the Dremel options more as she has some particularly difficult areas to reach, specifically in her, ahem, cleavage. Also there were some bits on the tips of her hair at the bottom. There was a decent one across her face as well, but it appears that I was able to smooth most of them out with the Reaper sealer and paint trick :)

I'm hoping to spend more time with her tonight but we've got dinner than a Munchkin engagement that normally goes late. I was hoping to add eyebrows, color the armor and bags, then start the refining process, but alas, it may not happen tonight.

• Like 1

Hmmmm... it's a mixture of Scale 75 colors. I think orange leather & walnut, added iroko (I think) to it, then birch, shaded with a mixture of MSP Walnut Brown and S75 Orange something with orange and yellow... I'd be lying if I tried to remember the actual progression. I've taken to just mixing whatever looks good. The stitching was outlined with S75 black leather then the stitches are either one of the s75 whites or possibly Vallejo Ivory... I'm not sure. I need to get in the habit of documenting the paints and mixes I use. Willen did a write up quite a while back on his record system and it was quite good. I may have to give that a gander...

At either rate, I was going for something deerskinish. Lol!

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 3

Okay, after a couple nights of laziness, I finally spent some time with Kaya. We chatted a bit, threw a couple of spears, danced by the waters of a moonlit pond, etc. It was rapturous! 

It's amazing to me how abysmally slow I am at painting. Some of you people just blow through miniatures as if they were autumn leaves. Tonight I focused on trying to figure out what to do with her armor and to lay down a few more coats of paint on the fur. The armor... well... I wasn't exactly sure what it was. It looked kind of like banded armor, kind of like samurai armor, kind of like laminar armor... So I did some research and this is what I came up with. It's the closest match I could find with Kaya being a barbarian and all. Anyhoo, here's some updated pics:

post-12973-0-55748200-1410938278_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-67662100-1410938279_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-04054400-1410938281_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-26452800-1410938282_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-64567600-1410938283_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-20264700-1410938285_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-54594400-1410938286_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-62393300-1410938287_thumb.jpg

She's coming along. We're not there yet, but this is the stage that I really start to get bogged down in. There are still parts of her that aren't base coated yet, and others that I'm pretty close to being satisfied with, while other parts suffered from shakey hands and need touch ups. 

I did take this pic to experiment with the B&W contrast thing. That dang armor gave me fits trying to stick together different colors and textures together. I'll probably piddle with it some more, but I've also learned to leave well enough alone! There are certain limits to my skills and to my patience...  :upside:

post-12973-0-72417600-1410938288_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-56269900-1410938289_thumb.jpg

I'll be glad to see more contrast whenever I start texturing the fur bits on the boots, gauntlets, and armor. I'll also be happy to fix the left sided skull that got a dab of orange on his head from a rouge brush stroke... Either that or I'll come up with some sort of arcane paint scheme for the skulls.... We'll see. 

Compliments and Comments are always welcome! It's how we get better! Thank you for viewing! 

-K

• Like 9

Wow, late to the "awesome" party!

It is looking great, smooth and nice transitions, the colors are awesome, and if only... are you planning a winter diorama? Because with those clothes, her being a big burly girl marching forward, and if she was in a cold, cold weather... I would look at pics, and rosy up (or red-up) cheeks and nose.

... google is not pulling up any reference pics for my ATM, bummer...

About the Dremel, I usually attack a mini with files and sandpaper, then polish it up with steel wool, and then use the Dremel with one of those polishing cones (as said above); they are like abrasive rubber if needed. Last step is using the brass brush on the Dremel to clean up the surface and get all subtle imperfections. 

The tips are 462 and 463, BTW.

I need to get some more of them; Dremel tips supply has run dry in my country, so I guess I have a quest for my next trip to the USA...

• Like 2