CAV: SO Sneak Peek

Reaperbryan

Watch The Intro Video Below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GuPMS4GLGb0

Check out our Quick Start Rules!

We've also got the bare-Bones Quick Start Rules HERE. This a preview of the working copy of the final rules and while the rules are done mechanics wise, there's still some layout and editing to finish. The preview does not include fluff, the construction rules, faction doctrines, and any artwork beyond examples.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the data sheets and wow, thats a lot of acronyms.  I can just imagine demoing this game and watching newbie's eyes glaze over at the random letter zoo.

Are abilities listed on the data sheet under Auxillery Systems already acconted for on the damage track?  For example IAP, which gives more armor at reduced damage control, is that already modified on the damage track or do we need to modify every die roll?

Or the CP2 ability, which gives the WSO ability.  What purpose does CP2 serve if when we look up that ability, it tells us to look up another ability?

Maybe it's just me, but perhaps a simplified data sheet is in order.  If an ability modifies stats, just modify the stats and remove the ability.  If an ability grants other abilities, list as few as possible.  The less unnecessary stuff on it, the better.

*EDIT*

Here's an example.  Let's say a brand new player gets their kickstarter models, and looks up the data sheet for their Dictator B.  It's the thing on the cover art, and has always been a real eyecatcher, so it's reasonable to assume this will be one of the first things someone gets familiar with.

Between Aux Systems and Special Attributes, there are nine things to look up.  Nine.  Most of which are on different pages of the rulebook.

Then we scroll down to the weapons, which have even more attributes to find and read about.  For each weapon.  Some of these are common gamer terms like the range-based ones, but there are a couple on each weapon that a newbie will need to look up a few times before they sink in.

Can you imagine just how slow that all-important first impression game is going to be?

Edited by Jeneki
  • Like 1

Just started looking at it, a couple of early comments/suggestions:

• On page 6, under "Types of Dice Rolls" there are images of D6, D10 and D12 dice.  However, the rules in this section are all about various ways to roll 2D6.  It confused me a bit at first, as I thought the die pictures were related to the rule being described.  I'd recommend moving the die pictures up into the prior section (The Dice).
  • On page 9, under 6. Auxiliary Systems, the section finishes with "These are listed here.". ...but I don't see anything listing the Auxiliary Systems.  Was this meant to be a link to somewhere else?

There is a typo on page 33. I've made it bold. There is no cav D in the associated picture. Perhaps this is still talking about cav c?

"CAV A can see CAV C with a clear LoS. There is a (-2) to the 

Combat Roll as CAV D is within the dead zone of the elevation 
level 2 (2â€) hill but is still at least 1 level higher (CAVs are 
elevation 3 tall). If CAV D moves back more than 2†from the 
hill, there is no cover bonus"

References to references to references is what lost my interest in Battletech, it got bogged down in the rules so much that you spent hours fighting lance on lance and it was tedious along with the rules lawyering. CAV was a major departure from that, a combined arms game allowing a LOT of models on the table at one time to fight major, pitched battles you could never do with Battletech. That's why they made Alpha Strike, to try to speed things up and cut down on the references to references to references. 

The data cards are horrifically cluttered...and in general I see a lot of additional complexity in the rules which does not add significantly to the depth of gameplay. Also confused by the force organization changes, particularly the removal of mechanized infantry and the addition of the bulky SA to CAVs. Really limits your options in force construction...

Made my first relatively quick read through. My assessment from the demo games I played at RCon is further reinforced. I see a lot of unnecessary complexity, a lot of things that seem to be added only because Battletech does, and like Vil-Hatarn said, changes to the force organization rules that are restrictive and won't make much sense during actual play (like not having a constituent transport option for infantry). As stated before, I'm backing the project for the figures, not the new rules.

• Like 3

Hi!  I'm new here, but I have played CAV2 a bit.

The good news is it seems that the AUX systems have been added to the stats.

Now the bad news:  On the "Dictator B" card it looks like IAB 1 has been added instead of IAB 2.  Also I can't find "Piercing" in the rules.

On the whole there seems to be a playable, and possibly quite good, game here.  There is just too much excess detail to get through for my tastes.  The goal may have been to put a lot of "flavor" in the game but it seems to be at the expense of game smoothness.  Strip out most of the special attributes and systems, incorporate them in the basic numbers of the units, and keep the math down to a minimum.  I want to be focussing on strategy and tactics when playing the game, not looking up what "Blaster" and "Strike" do because I forgot.  The video shows a simple game, until you look at the data card...

First of all, welcome to the forums Griz! ^_^

I found Piercing on page 81, apparently it's an upgrade that gives +1 vs hard targets but -1 vs soft targets. I don't understand how that relates to its appearance on the Dictator card. I don't see the advantage of this method over CAV 2's base RAV + either piercing or shredder bonus, especially since in the sample cards the hard and soft values degrade at the same rate; so there is three times as much text (#/# on each DT, rather than # and one word under the weapon) with no difference in application.

Also, very confused by the addition of a "Hard" SA; it would seem to merely take up extra space on the cards, unless the hard/soft dichotomy has changed in some way that I've missed.

It just feels like you would need multiple reference sheets even as an experienced player--one for acronyms (there are simply too many), one for the critical hit table, quite possibly one for the more complex extra systems and SAs. A pity, since one of the best aspects of CAV 2 was how smoothly it played.

Looking over the strike options now and am concerned by the targeting on the gunship assault. Even if it hits "on target", the randomized orientation means your odds of hitting more than one model are minimal unless your opponent has given you an incredibly target-dense area. It just doesn't seem like it would ever be worth using.

Am I sick in the head? This looks on first read like a pretty fast and simple rule-set. A few numerical bonuses, roll, modify, that's it. Gives you hit and damage right away. Mark your card, and all damage effects are right there. How is that like BT?

For example, fire an LBX-20, once. Now you have to roll for hit locations 20 bleeding times. You may have to roll for criticals that many times. However many hit the cockpit, you have to roll for getting knocked unconscious that many times. Now you have to degrade and record armour at every location rolled. Congratulations! You fired ONE GUN. Oh, you have two of those? And a laser? On ONE MECH? Sorry, I forgot, you also have to accrue heat and record ammo usage. Okay, now fire the other one! Repeat, only now your opponent has to roll to fall over... and degrade armour, check for criticals, oh he hit a heat sink, better check his heat again...

This is awesome! I can't wait till that missile boat fires all four LRM-20s!

• Like 2