• Forum Mascot

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-addams-family

Farsight Studios has negotiated with all parties to produce this licensed table, and now they're looking to raise the needed money. This is their 4th Kickstarter of this type, the previous three being Twilight Zone, Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

What makes this group different from other digital pinball makers is that they produce recreations of actual, real-life tables. Licenses don't come cheap, but any extra over their goal they fold into the next license they pursue and only ask for what they need to cover the license cost (so kickstarter funds don't go to development costs or regular business costs).

I'm a fan of this game, being a fan of pinball, and they do a good job of giving an arcade full of machines (about 50 right now) for a lot less space and money than rounding up real tables would run a person. They also only run kickstarters for specific licenses that are popular but more than they can manage otherwise - licensed tables they can acquire (Elvira, Bram Stoker's Dracula) they do so without kickstarter.

So if you like pinball, this is pretty good stuff and the game is available on multiple platforms (phones, tablets, consoles). For anybody with an Xbox 360 who hasn't heard, the troubles with that platform relating to Crave Publishing's surprise bankruptcy are now resolved and Farsight is presently working to bring the 360 up to date. At long last. That's my platform of choice, so I'll be in on this now that I know I'll actually get the table.

The $7 level is about the price of a licensed table in-game, so no real big discounts here - but if you want to see this table made, pledging's the only way. And if it gets over the top, it means another neato license they can get later - and there are a lot of really good movie/music/ etc. tables I'd love to see eventually happen.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag updated
  • Like 3
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This company previously made pinball collections for consoles (Gottlieb Collection, Williams Collection) that were pretty good but the development time meant a small number of tables and years in betw

Soooooo I just went and downloaded Pinball Arcade from Steam. And I've already spent money on a set of 3 tables. My stars, these things are FANTASTIC! And even though I've never touched a pinball mach

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-addams-family   Farsight Studios has negotiated with all parties to produce this licensed table, and now they're looking to raise t

So they make pinballs...

...without the pins...

...or the balls? It's like digital solitare?

Why does it cost them 90+K? Is... is online pinballs that big a hobby? Are there... like, tournaments and things?

...has this been a huge thing the whole time, and I just never noticed?

• Forum Mascot

So they make pinballs...

...without the pins...

...or the balls? It's like digital solitare?

Why does it cost them 90+K? Is... is online pinballs that big a hobby? Are there... like, tournaments and things?

...has this been a huge thing the whole time, and I just never noticed?

Digital tables.  So it's like the real table, and plays like the real table, except it's on your screen instead of taking up living space.  Or eating quarters.

Here's a gameplay example: 

It costs them 90k+ because they have to pay for the rights to the franchise holder (studio, addams family property), the actor likenesses and voices, any licensed music.  It adds up.  In this particular case the cost is high because negotiations with Raul Julia's estate were sensitive. 

As to whether it's a big thing, I guess it depends on how much you like pinball.  It's as good as you can get without owning the real physical table.  But, yes, there are tournaments.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 1
  • Forum Mascot

Ah... I see. Interesting... I never knew this sort of thing existed!

This company previously made pinball collections for consoles (Gottlieb Collection, Williams Collection) that were pretty good but the development time meant a small number of tables and years in between releases.  The Pinball Arcade is like the third generation of this, and this time they built the basic engine (released early 2012) so they could add more tables in as they go (IMO, the smart way to do it).  So you only buy the tables you want (early seasons had 2-packs, where you bought a new table and got one from the previous two collections for free alongside it).  And there's roughly one fresh new table per month.

Of course, I happen to want all of them.  ^_^   Their kickstarters are basically a way of letting us decide how badly we want a particular item if it's a difficult or expensive license to get (this one is the most expensive so far, twice what ST:TNG cost).  The Addams Family has topped every wishlist, poll, and request since the beginning.  So if enough people want it bad enough to cover the license fees, we get it.  If not, it doesn't get made and we get other tables that don't have hefty licenses.  Farsight's just giving us the option of whether we want it or not - as opposed to non-kickstarter licenses where if they can get and afford them they just go ahead.  Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of these, due out very soon - and nobody knew it was coming until a few weeks back.  I guess that license was pretty cheap.

Cooperation helps, too - as I recall Cassandra Peterson (Elvira) is a big fan of pinball and offered very generous licensing terms to get her two tables added.  So they didn't need a kickstarter, they just came as regular releases. 

• Like 4

Cool! Thanks for bringing this KS to my attention; it reminded me of my sole exposure to pinball, a shareware DOS game that I knew as Android Pinball, but which was apparently part of a pack of pinball games called Epic Pinball. This led me on a fun nostalgia-filled half hour of playing it online.  ^_^

This is relevant. It's relevant because it reminded me of just how much FUN I had playing that one table (had to buy the rest of the tables in the pack, Android was the only free one). Which led me to tossing $7 at the project, because pinball is awesome. Also, Addams Family is awesome.  ::D:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3
  • Forum Mascot

The Pinball Arcade already exists, btw.  This KS is just to add this specific table to the 50 existing ones, not to make the whole game.  The game platform itself is free and I think there's an unlimited play free random table per month.  It's in the app/game store (xbox 360 re-release upcoming) of device of choice. 

I know that for android, my standby while waiting for the 360 update, what I bought on my tablet or phone is also on the other android device without buying twice.  I presume the same is true for apple.   (my 360 buy will be a separate purchase)

• Like 1

Just downloaded the software and it seems to be pretty fun. I've never been great at pinball, but I fondly remember the Addams Family table down at my local arcade so I think I may be in on this.

Though my most fondly remembered pinball tables were virtual ones in the first place. I used to play a lot of Pinball Dreams on my old Amiga.

• Forum Mascot

is there a computer version of it? My consoles are somewhat outdated.

Yes, it's on Steam. 

To give a little bit of background on what happened with the Xbox 360, that was outside Farsight's control.  Microsoft requires a publisher in order to make games for xbox live arcade, and Farsight's publisher was Crave.  Crave was also the publisher on release.  A few months in, after 10 tables had been made available on xbox, Crave suddenly filed for bankruptcy.

This cause two problems for Farsight:  1, they now had no publisher so they could no longer support or update the game until they found a new one and 2, their contract with Crave was determined to be a possible negotiable asset of Crave's when sorting out what their creditors got.

When this happened, the 360 was the primary development platform.  It has now been superceded in this capacity by PC/Steam.  But they worked to keep the 360 tables up to date in the hopes that, eventually, this would work itself out of court.  Only the 360 was delayed in this way, and those of us who had it as their device of choice have been two years without updates.

This situation has since been resolved, with Farsight acquiring a new publisher and able to produce for xbox once again.  This they've been working on since at least April.  The problem is making the update work, because it's huge.  They secured special dispensation from Microsoft to exceed the normal update cap, but there have been some technical issue with implementation - they have to not only do an update, but do it in a way so that those of us already bought in won't have to pay twice for the tables we've already got.  And it all has to work together.  It's a bit of a job, but I'm satisfied they're doing all they can even if I am a bit impatient about it (2 years is a loonnnnggg time without an update).  I'm hopeful we'll see the return of TPA to xbox before the end of October. 

• Like 3

Soooooo I just went and downloaded Pinball Arcade from Steam. And I've already spent money on a set of 3 tables. My stars, these things are FANTASTIC! And even though I've never touched a pinball machine in real life (I was sadly deprived as a child, clearly), I FELT like I was playing at an actual table, the emulator is just that good.  :wow:

Also, I have discovered that comparing the Android pinball game I grew up with to these beautiful tables is like...comparing a chunky plastic toddler's bike to an adult's mountain bike.  :blink: Also also, after playing on The Bride of Pin-Bot for awhile, my fingers have started to remember that I used to be pretty decent at this. I forsee much playing of pinball in my future.  :mellow:

BUGLIPS WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!  ::P:

(I kid, I'm really having a blast and wondering why I didn't discover that this was a thing a long time ago)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4
  • Forum Mascot

Well, I might as well send you all the way down the rabbit hole then.  This is the link to the fan-run forum for the game, but Farsight reads it and occassionally posts there:  http://pinballarcadefans.com/forum.php

It's a good source for news about what's coming, information about various tables, etc.  Bug reports, too, because they sometimes appear.  There's a bug in my 360 copy of Black Hole that's apparently fixed on other platforms but couldn't be updated on mine yet - the lower playfield randomly opens and closes the airlock (ball save).  It's supposed to be only if you hit certain things.  This is rather annoying, because Black Hole owes me many quarters from the 80's and I need to teach it a lesson. 

Did you get a totally free table?  It's been a long time since I installed the game, and I think Tales of the Arabian Nights was free and fully unlocked when I did.  Not sure if that's still so. 

I hope this kickstarter succeeds, because it might mean a chance for them to do A Nightmare on Elm Street or (saints be praised) Guns N Roses.  I think the GNR license will probably have a lot of other issues besides expense, though, given what happened between band members. 

• Like 1