Sign in to follow this  
SGHawkins09

59040 Deadlands Noir: Grifter turned D&D Sorcerer

This is going to be a well traveled miniature as I brought it to paint while on vacation. It is a commission job for a friend to use as his PC in a D&D game. He had bought the miniature already and gave me these directions: "I want the colors to be bronze (he has bronze dragon lineage). Flaming ginger hair. Highlight colors can be gold and purple or red." With this in mind I did a few mock ups to test different combinations and this was the one liked best:

post-13093-0-27534300-1410912819.jpg

So, yeah this will be interesting. He wants the coat to be metallic bronze and I have not attempted to do metallic cloth yet. I was leaning towards a purple coat and bronze vest but it is his mini so he's the boss.

I have started to work on him and he did required some clean up as he had a nice big mold line under his arm. I've base coated his hair, a layer of black on the pants, and a layer of skin. I also used a little P3 Flesh Wash and was very pleased with it

post-13093-0-18316300-1410913307_thumb.jpg

post-13093-0-48319900-1410913318_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Gosh, metallic cloth. I'm... not sure how I'd do that. I'd worry that whatever I did, it would look like he was lugging around a thick, wavy sheet of bronze by his neck, especially given how thick mini's cloaks have to be in comparison to the rest of them. I might be inclined to go NMM, but then you run into the issue of metal and cloth being almost opposite looks: metal is high contrast and sharp transitions, whereas cloth has gradual blends.

• Like 1

This sculpt has such an "Edwardian" clean solid style to it.

Feels like classic turn of the century.

I could see this in a "Sherlock Holmes" type of style, with purple/Red Vest, Gold Buttons.

Beautiful flow to the Miniature !

Really like how cleanly you started it off...

Look forward to seeing you complete through this... Bet it will be Stunning !

I'll be  =0^0= your progress

• Like 1

I'm liking this so far. The mock up idea is so cool. I used to do that roughly with a sketch and colored pencils, but seems so much better visualization with computer software!

• Like 1

So I have done some work on him, just finished base coating. I plan on treating the bronze like I would regular cloth and should be able to start shading later today. Sorry about the picture quality, I am not at home with my regular setup.

post-13093-0-65002000-1411324802_thumb.jpg

post-13093-0-70070800-1411324829_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

So I have done the shading and highlighting on the coat. If you guys don't have any recommendations, I am going say the coat is done. The first picture, and I apologize for the quality, is just the shading and the second picture has the highlights.

It is really hard to take pictures of this coat.

post-13093-0-91892900-1411503998_thumb.jpgpost-13093-0-43009000-1411504013_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

So it has been awhile since I last posted, life hit me hard when I got home from vacation. His skin is finished, I used P3 Fesh Wash and love it. It is perfect for shading skin on a quick tabletop paint job. I also shaded and highlighted his pants. They are black so it is not really noticeable, especially in the photo.

post-13093-0-77667400-1412631136_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I used P3 Fesh Wash and love it.

Ugh. Want mine? I can't stand it. Reikland Fleshshade is much better.

• Like 2

I used P3 Fesh Wash and love it.

Ugh. Want mine? I can't stand it. Reikland Fleshshade is much better.

What don't you like about it? I just picked it up to give it a try since I had a gift card to my FLGS and a friend recommended it.

It always comes out too brown. Shadows on caucasian flesh tones aren't generally that brown.

• Like 2

It always comes out too brown. Shadows on caucasian flesh tones aren't generally that brown.

That is true, but mine seems to be too red rather than too brown. Even though I loved it on this guy, I probably will not use it that often.

Love the p3 wash. Its a great mix of blur and red to make a nice purple brown. Its my goto color for skin when I want a quicker paint job.

He's turning out great.

• Like 1