Sign in to follow this  
papabees

CAVSO True Scale

You know someone needs to rebuild that dropship the advanced version and post it as a Youtube video.  If I had a Youtube vid for instructions I bet I could do it.   But I am sure with a vid my wife could :;):

• Like 1

Looking through the thread, I guess my question would be how do the old CAV miniatures scale to the new ones?  Not enough to make a different, or now it's big enough that I shouldn't probably try to pick up a few metals before I get my kickstarter stuff in July of next year?

If it's been said already, I apologize!

Looking through the thread, I guess my question would be how do the old CAV miniatures scale to the new ones?  Not enough to make a different, or now it's big enough that I shouldn't probably try to pick up a few metals before I get my kickstarter stuff in July of next year?

From what I can gather, the CAVs themselves and a large number of vehicles will be remaining the same or very close in size. The following vehicles are out of scale in metal, and should be getting larger in Bones: Despot, Hunter, Lance, Poltergeist, Sabre, Spike, Raider, Manticore, and Naginata, though the Despot is the only one that we have official confirmation on.

A few CAVs are also slightly out of scale (the Sabertooth is small, and the Katana and Crusader are big), but there's been no word on if those will be adjusted or not.

The aircraft comes in two sizes in metal: very small, and actual scale (i.e. huge). Bones size will likely be intermediate, but again we have no official word as of yet.

What would a dropship look like? 

http://www.mil-net.net/hercules.cfm  - Carries 8 CAVs. No 3D printer needed.

complete.jpg hercDeploy03.jpg winningForce.jpg

I have always wished I had the skill to build that thing

General, if I can do it, you can do it. It literally is as simple as tracing straight lines, cutting straight lines, and then assembling the pieces like a jigsaw puzzle made for a 3 year old. Then you just glue on the decals.  The weapons do require a bit of assembly and painting, but nothing really harder than putting a CAV together.

• Like 1

Cool. Thanks Chrome.

Where can I get the tutorial? I have the template file and the instruction file but don't recall seeing a tutorial file . . . I want to make sure I have all the available info . . .  ::D:

No worries!  Between this thread and the KS thread it's about 70 pages to sift through, and sometimes it's easier to just ask.

If I remember correctly, the intention is for CAVs to be a mixed bag; some are having their fluff adjusted to match the new scale, others will be rescaled physically, though the only ones we have final results on are the Core 8 and a confirmation that Despot's hull is getting bumped up to 44mm.  If I remember when I get home tonight, I'll measure my metal Tiamat [the only one of the core 8 I have]...and we may be able to rope one of the guys with access to them into doing so for the plastic one.  For CAVs themselves, the differences shouldn't be by much.  I know they mentioned supporting metal for the forseeable future (though you might want to give it a little bit for them to finish reworking the store, some of the prices are out of whack) even after the relaunch in plastic, so logically it can't be that massive of a difference.

Vehicles I don't know much about so I'm going to have to defer to Vil-hatarn on.

Airplanes...well, that's the whole debate of the thread, at least until to calmed down and turned to functional Hercs.

Depending on which plane you go on ["game scale" 1" figures, or "True Scale" at over 2 1/2"], they're either going to get a lot bigger or a bit smaller.  CAVBOSS hasn't completely made up his mind, trying to find a balance between being believable on the table and not visually dominating the same...a thought process that's been met with varying levels of acceptance or outrage over the course of the thread.

By reverse-engineering the math here...taking a 'true scale' plane and Girot's measurements for the same, descaling it based on what the old game's scale (N-gauge, which is 1/148 to 1/160, as model railroading standardizes on track spacing when the real world doesn't!)...and then rescaling to 1/180, I came up with ~2" to ~2.25"; or, slightly longer than the bigger CAVs are at the shoulder, and ranging from about 10% to about 20% smaller than the current True Scales.

I'm assuming when he locks in his final answer, he'll share with the rest of the class.

Edited by Foxden Racing

We are working on a list right now that will show the sizes of the models from the KS in their final size for bones conversion. I will be making my final decision on aircraft as well, so pull up the chair and get the popcorn ready! ;-)

• Like 4