Sign in to follow this  
papabees

CAVSO True Scale

so are we suggesting that Reaper make the planes smaller in-universe so that the miniature can be the same scale? :)

No. I am asking what size the In universe tanks are, so that I have some idea how large the models will be when they are rescaled in Bones. That way I know what to add to the Kickstarter for tanks. So far I only know the Despot will be 37mm long. Which is perfect. But the others I have no idea as I do not know their in universe dimensions to be able to calculate their final in production dimensions. I have asked that question and the answer I recieved was 2" +- .5". Since there is a pretty huge difference between 1.5" and 2.5" when representing vehicles I am trying to do the math myself to get a better idea. But I need the actual in universe dimensions to do so.

In the JOR 1 and JOR 2 it list the height of each tank. In the past, It has been commonly accepted that the Dragoon, Dingo, and Wolverine were the tank models in metal that "set the bar" for what true scale should look like. Obviously, the APCs and such are smaller. Where did you see that the hull on the Despot will be 37MM? If that is the case it matches the metal one that we currently have. The hull on the Wolverine and Dragoon are pretty much 1.75" long. Girot do you have a Wolverine or Dingo that you could get pictures of next to a Despot? If the Despot is actually going to be 37mm then the other tanks may be shrunk or the size of the Despot may be retconned. But for the most part all the metal vees that were sold 1 to a pack in metal are pretty much on size wize. 

• Like 1

Something to point out in regards to the air vees. When the metal "truescale" models came out all of the CAV players at the time were pretty happy with the size so if that's any indication... And has any thought been given to having the models be say 3" above the table rather than one? That could make the aesthetic more pleasing as seeing all those aircraft waist high to a CAV is a little...odd. Essentially they are cruising around at hundreds of miles per hour 15ft above the ground. 

Edited by papabees

dictatorscale_comparison_by_girot-d7ypgp

This Picture which gives the Despots length of 22.5 feet, and scale size of 37mm.

Girots pictures are somewhat helpful. However if everything is getting rescaled then not as much. Telling me the ones that were sold in packs of one were pretty much the right size doesn't help, as I don't know what size that is. I don't own those miniatures.

I am only asking because I want to add money for tanks. But if I can't get reasonable responces from anyone other than 1.5" to 2.5" I'm not going to bother. I'm not saying this in any way to be critical. I just want to make an informed decision when I spend my money. If I cannot get the information, it cannot be an informed decision.

Your asking a question thst there is no answer to at this time. We havent taken each model and come up with a final size yet and wont till we get them ready for molds. The despot was an easy one to do, it being close to an m1. If you are happy with it I dont think you will be disappointed with the rest.

• Like 2

Thats what it looks like Brother Jim.

CAVBOSS: I already know based on Girot's pictures that the Centipede and Wolf will be too large for me. I think the Cheiftain is perfect the size it is in metal and that is getting rescaled larger. To be clear I don't plan on using these for CAV primarily (although we may give that a try as well). So this is a problem that is unique to me. I definately understand rescaling the CAV line so they are all in the correct scale to each other. That is certainly something I would want to see if I were a CAV fan. Thank you for giving me the only answer you can. It won't take away from my pledge, I like Bones and the more in Bones the better. I may just not add as much as I might have.

That being said anyone know how big the Dingo is compared to the Despot. Are they of a similar size? If those are close to the same then I will grab some Dingo's as well from the KS. I'll just have to get some metal Cheiftains to go with.

• Like 1

Hi Cavboss,

As long as you are reading opinions, and cost isn't the deciding factor. My opinion is that making the aircraft in the same scale as all the other figures is probably the best decision.

1. As a newbie to CAV, the current scale questions and issues seem like a mess. Anything that reduces these types of questions and adjustments can only be for the good.

2. It is easier to explain on the table that a large model is large because it is in scale, than it is to explain that a model is too small because "reasons"

2.a. Explaining that you are relaunching the CAV models in Bones and that all the Bones models have been painstakingly mastered to ensure that they are all to scale with one another (except planes) is a headache, and seems silly/not worth the hassle and gamer discussion - unless cost really is a factor in the model size.

3. Airplanes won't always be in flight, they may be legitimate scenario reasons for an assault on a hangar type scenario where the goal is to keep the planes from takeoff. And scale will matter more in this type of scenario.

4. You mentioned something upthread about planes being a "Type 4" model and that you personally weren't comfortable with them being larger than CAVs, I can only assume that Type 4 means that they are less frequently used/less important than other types of models. Less frequent I can understand, but if they are less frequent, making them larger seems less of an issue to me. If they are less important, this is something I have a hard time understanding as it seems like planes have been very important to every military engagement since WW2. If planes aren't important in CAV (again newbie here) this is something I will probably look to house rule for any of my games.

5. If CAVs are smaller than planes in the description, why shouldn't the models follow suit?

TDDR: Planes should be in scale like ALL other Bones models. I am not sure I have yet seen a convincing argument, other than cost, as to why planes would/should be excluded from accurate scale consideration.

• Like 2

Yes the despot is just a tad shorter than a M1. I figure in 300 years surely there is a little bit of miniaturization. As far as any other picture out there, the Despot is the only one that is now sized "correctly". All other models will be sized off it for comparison as we go to mold with others.

• Like 2

Something to point out in regards to the air vees. When the metal "truescale" models came out all of the CAV players at the time were pretty happy with the size so if that's any indication... And has any thought been given to having the models be say 3" above the table rather than one? That could make the aesthetic more pleasing as seeing all those aircraft waist high to a CAV is a little...odd. Essentially they are cruising around at hundreds of miles per hour 15ft above the ground. 

I'd be willing to hold onto my metal Tsuiseki just to demonstrate this.  Making one's own flying bases is incredibly easy.  You can get "flight bases" made to order from Litko and get the 3mm "flight rods" in bulk from Devlies Plastics.  I'll cover this in painful amounts of detail in the CAV Basing video I'm scripting.

PS - The clear acrylic bases from Litko are fairly cost effective.  I got a 100-pack custom cut for under $50.

Edited by Girot

get the 3mm "flight rods" in bulk from Devlies Plastics.

Similar to x-wing miniatures where you can extend the transparent shaft at 1" intervals as the model increases altitude? (though at some point, it might not work and snap)

• Like 1

Its more a mode of flight: None (sitting parked on the ground), Normal (just flying about enjoying the scenery), or Nap of Earth (flying in and out of terrain avoiding line of sight), but three does cover it.

• Like 1