papabees

CAVSO True Scale

I just meant the model should be able to represent three heights ... It would be fun to chop one up and paint it in a flaming pile.

There are a few ways you could represent this, one being a D4 placed on the base indicating it's "elevation level".

That would be Improved Grounding 1

Well played.  But shouldn't it be Improved Grounding -1?

Presumably there would be cratering or furrows.

• Like 2

I just meant the model should be able to represent three heights ... It would be fun to chop one up and paint it in a flaming pile.

There are a few ways you could represent this, one being a D4 placed on the base indicating it's "elevation level".
I read A d4 placed under the base, which would be a wicked talent.
  • Like 1

My $0.02 - I'd prefer that the minis of all vehicles - CAV, tanks, aircraft, watercraft, infantry, etc are all to scale with each other.

And just as important - please don't do ridiculous things with the fluff in terms of scale. That blows just as much as minis looking out of scale with each other. If a model doesn't look like it can physically hold a crew of 5, then the fluff shouldn't say it has a crew of 5 or or more. It doesn't matter how much technology advances, a group of people will always require the same relative amount of space.

A couple other thoughts:

- Big minis are impressive. Impressive minis will draw attention to the game.

- There are a crapload of gamers out there who field huge models like Baneblade tanks and small Titans in games like 40k. And for every gamer that does, there are at least 3 other gamers who want to, but can't afford it. Large models themselves don't scare gamers off - it's the prices of large models.

- Bones has taught us that big, impressive miniatures can be affordable. Therefore, so what if the aircraft minis in CAV are 3, 4 5 inches long, or even more?

• Like 7

Stop makinging sense or them men in the white coats will come to collect you! ::P:

Edited by Girot
  • Like 4

Back in the day when the true-scale models were first coming out, I had just invested a bit of money (not much, but I was in college and couldn't afford much) in a number of pewter aircraft and was a bit disappointed that the models I had just bought were now wholly un-chic (if still legitimate).  Although the investment is dramatically smaller (and likewise, my pocketbook appreciably larger), I would hate to see the same thing happen again if CAVSO were to start out non-true scale, only to switch to true scale later on.  Better go with true scale from the outset, I say.

CAV isn't really an aircraft focused game (as I understand it, at any rate), I think that a lot of us who might buy a lot of planes would do so more because we're plane lovers and not because we're trying to build the best winning combined arms formation.  In that respect, I think that big, truescale planes would be a better sell.

A third thing which just occurred to me is that, being that Bones plastic is a bit flexible, the aircraft models might be less prone to warping if the plastic were thicker (especially in the wings)....another thing which to me suggests that true scale is the way to go.

• Like 3

I would prefer Truescale all around. 

A large, well-painted futuristic A-10 would bring HORDES to a gaming table.  Then throw in giant robots........wow....couldn't make figs fast enough.

BIG STOMPY ROBOTS!!!!

• Like 1

As-sculpted, the Despot was 47mm in hull length. The 37mm version was the "cram two in the blister" version.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/56777-cav-so-model-distribution/?p=950763

Edit to add: Cavboss, if you need access to the original .3dm files and dimensions/sizes, I have most of them archived and available.

Best,

JBR

Edited by John Bear Ross
  • Like 5

Yes the despot is just a tad shorter than a M1. I figure in 300 years surely there is a little bit of miniaturization. As far as any other picture out there, the Despot is the only one that is now sized "correctly". All other models will be sized off it for comparison as we go to mold with others.

You're figuring off bad data, which is not your fault, since it wasn't your call to do the " two to a blister" size reduction which created all this TrueScale heartache.

See the post above. The 37mm size was a cram-down from the original. It was sculpted to be a CAV-hunter at 47mm hull length, 60mm overall.

I am not trying to second guess you or show you up, but rather presenting you with the original sizes and files, not the misinterpretations.

If you need the original files and sizes, I have archived files of the sculpts I was assigned.

Best,

JBR

• Like 3