papabees

CAVSO True Scale

OK...let me set this straight once and for all. The scale is set to 1/180th. Nothing is changing about that going forward. Period. The only models that are set to what they will be going forward are the 8 base models from the Core Set. Those are in plastic and done and we set the scale going forward from these. So everything that is done will be based on these to make sure they "look" right to those.

As to the Despot, a design that may have used the M1 for inspiration, which we will use for comparison (size reference only). Its real world hull length is 26.02 feet and 8 feet tall. Per the JoR2 the Despot is 14 feet tall. That's the only measurement we have that's "official". Comparing that to the M1 would make the Despot hull, 75.89 mm (over 3") and that's not going to happen.

So using the M1 hull that converts to 43.4 mm. To stop anymore guesswork, second-guessing etc. The Despot hull is set to 44 mm when it goes to Bones. That's what you get come hell or high-water. I now return you to your regular programming.

PS No other figure has been scaled and wont till Im getting them ready for the plastic mold makers. Im not doing that till I know which ones I need to.

• Like 8

Glad to hear that the Despot will be returning to nearly its intended size.

Regarding rescaling of other models, if you've moved to 1/180 from N (1/160), will that not require minor rescaling for all existing models? Or are the existing N-scale models (including CAVs) being handwaved as close enough?

I just want to know what to expect so I can manage my KS pledge. There are some models in there I'd really like to pick up, but not if they might be out of scale with everything I already own. If I can't get a straight answer about what to expect, I'm going to have to cancel at least part of my pledge.

Vil, although this is by no means official from the comments I've seen that is exactly what will happen with the CAVs. I've seen it said that there might be some minor changes but nothing appreciable. Just things to get the molds to work right, etc.

CAVBoss, Thanks bunches for clearing this up. I have been waiting like ten years for a big honkin Despot. That size will be perfect!!!! Now I just have to find some more cash for them. Being unemployed sucks <_<

• Like 1

The Despot hull is set to 44 mm when it goes to Bones. That's what you get come hell or high-water. I now return you to your regular programming.

PS No other figure has been scaled and wont till Im getting them ready for the plastic mold makers. Im not doing that till I know which ones I need to.

Awwwww, Now I've got to buy some more Tanks... :-)

Great CAVBOSS, I look forward to CAV:SO tanks more in scale with their counterpart walking mayhem machines.

• Like 2

Papabees, that would be what I'm hoping for (though there are a couple that may actually need changing--the Sabertooth is TINY). Ideally, the already-true-scale vehicles will be treated similarly, and that's what I'm not sure about.

Based on the pictures, CAV are already 10 mm (1/180) and are staying 10 mm.  It is everything else that is getting resized (as needed

Should be (with exception of aircraft, which sounds like is still being kicked around). Again, there should only be like 8 vehicle models or so that are off (and as Vil pointed out, maybe the Sabretooth) but otherwise the CAVs should be about set.

The Despot was not a copy of the M1 Abrams.

Influenced? Sure. Why not. But not an obvious copy, as was stated above.

It started as a sci-fi Brazilian Osorio with a missile launcher in the top deck of the turret with Challenger 2 proportions, and morphed into its own from there.

Best,

JBR

Edited by John Bear Ross

My apologies for seeming to suggest you copied the design for the Despot. I only meant to suggest it was similar enough to use for size comparison.

• Like 6

OK...let me set this straight once and for all. The scale is set to 1/180th.

The Despot hull is set to 44 mm when it goes to Bones. That's what you get come hell or high-water. I now return you to your regular programming.

Good news all around in the above post, and I'm very excited even though I'm relatively (ok, completely) new to CAV.

on the P.S. though, since the KS is funded (by many multiples of %s now), could we get a read on the tsuseki and kraken vehicles?  Those two look really nice from a new-CAV'er point of view, and if it's nice and big, I'm gonna go for 2 core sets.  (not that I have any one to play against at this point)

Edit: spotted an open Ace, so I went ahead and made a 2nd KS account and jumped in... going by faith that the planes will be lovely in 1/180th.

Edited by bhchan
  • Like 1

Given all the talking, head scratching, and beard pulling around the KS aircraft's eventual scale, the whole "true scale" vs not-TS, I was curious and itching to run some basic aircraft design equations on the models in the KS, just to see if they were "true" and possible. Geeky, yeah, for sure. But those will have to wait. What would a dropship look like? I was burning to drop a dropship into the middle of the discussion, as that's the model that I figure would never make the cut as a true scale. It'd be much too big, so why bother having any aircraft in True Scale?

Turns out, after making a few technological leaps, it's not horrible. Start with it carrying 3 max weight Super chassis CAVs (or an equivalent 18 small chassis CAVs; although I'd bet that it would bulk-out before number eight boarded). A "true scale" dropship with my assumptions and calcs, comes out to have about an 18.9in (48 cm) wingspan with an average width of 2.5in (6.4 cm). The "real" span is 284 ft (87m). The fuselage is probably as long or longer than the wing span. It's really sensitive to speed and altitude, so that can vary a lot, and there's bound to be some VTOL going on which could shrink things. So it's big, but I can see the possibility of it hitting the table and not looking stupid. Massive, gargantuan, needing a large open space, and a showcase miracle of future engineering. But not unbelievable.

Now this all has me wanting to pick up a 3D printer.

• Like 5

We're an exasperating bunch aren't we? 44mm for the Despot is pretty close to what people were asking for. Certainly close to a cm extra over the "blister without a scale" scale! Close enough, for my eye. Thanks CAVBOSS!

It'll be over soon, Boss! Stay strong!

;)

• Like 6