Sign in to follow this  
ub3r_n3rd

Tiefling Summoner (DSM - Evil Female Mage)

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful compliments! Glad you all like her, she was a fun figure to work with and I was shooting for high table-top quality and painted her a little faster than I normally would paint a figure, mostly so I can get to work on a couple of stonehaven gnomes for one of my other PF group members who is playing a Jekyll and Hyde gnome alchemist and can change forms. 

I might suggest a little GS work around the edge of the base to hide the edge of the paper and hold it in place in case it curls as it ages.

I actually used superglue underneath to glue it down and then I put on 3 coats of reaper brush-on sealer over the top and along those edges. I didn't get it cut exactly to size which is why it looks a bit like the edges aren't lined up that great, but I might take some molding paste and run it along the sides there to hide the imperfections and then paint over it, thank you for the suggestion.  :poke:

I like off center. Looks good! You did good work here.

Thanks, it helps tell the story of who she is for me with the basing.  ^_^

Looks nice Uber. I missed your wip on this, but you continue to get better. You might want to check your brush or purple paints as there appears to be several loose fibers debris in the purple of the cloak.

Thank you KB! I... umm dropped her right before the pictures and she hit the carpet, broke off her arm and after I re-glued it on I was so frustrated that I didn't pay attention to the fibers on the cloak and didn't see them until after the pictures blew everything up. Part of the reason why the pics aren't as good as usual for me as I was a bit miffed at myself and wanted her out of my sight so I didn't knock her off my paint table again.  :upside:

She came out great, Ub3r. I agree that the cloak is such a large area it begs for some freehand. However, her cloak is a lot more wrinkled than the typical mini cloak, so a line of stuff along the lower outer hem will be tough to pull off with all the peaks and valleys. Given what I've seen of your recent work, I am confident that you can pull it off. Nice trick on the summoning circle. It has just the right color and scale.

Thank you darcstaar, it's a nice cloak and I did have a lot of fun with it. I'm not very good with freehand, but I'll try doing more the next time I play with a figure who has such a great cloak.

• Like 2

Looks nice Uber. I missed your wip on this, but you continue to get better. You might want to check your brush or purple paints as there appears to be several loose fibers debris in the purple of the cloak.

Thank you KB! I... umm dropped her right before the pictures and she hit the carpet, broke off her arm and after I re-glued it on I was so frustrated that I didn't pay attention to the fibers on the cloak and didn't see them until after the pictures blew everything up. Part of the reason why the pics aren't as good as usual for me as I was a bit miffed at myself and wanted her out of my sight so I didn't knock her off my paint table again. :upside:

ROFL. ::D:. I know that feeling I dropped a finished display mini on my way outside to spray sealer on it. And I usually end up with a lot of fuzz on my minis as it takes months (sometimes years ::(: ) to finish a mini and I fail to properly "de-dust" between sessions. Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 1

Thank you KB! I... umm dropped her right before the pictures and she hit the carpet, broke off her arm and after I re-glued it on I was so frustrated that I didn't pay attention to the fibers on the cloak and didn't see them until after the pictures blew everything up. Part of the reason why the pics aren't as good as usual for me as I was a bit miffed at myself and wanted her out of my sight so I didn't knock her off my paint table again. :upside:

ROFL. ::D:. I know that feeling I dropped a finished display mini on my way outside to spray sealer on it. And I usually end up with a lot of fuzz on my minis as it takes months (sometimes years ::(: ) to finish a mini and I fail to properly "de-dust" between sessions.

Oh, it was kinda funny actually. I started cussing like a sailor and my wife was like, "WHAT IS GOING ON?? The last time I heard you cuss like that, I had red paint all over my white drapes!"

I told her I dropped the figure I just finished and broke the arm off. 

• Like 4

I have the same mini, but i havent painted it yet. Did you pin the arm on or just glue and green stuff it? I dont like pinning dsm minis, they dont agree with my margin of error.

I have the same mini, but i havent painted it yet. Did you pin the arm on or just glue and green stuff it? I dont like pinning dsm minis, they dont agree with my margin of error.

She's a fantastic figure, very well sculpted, minimal mold lines.

I just super-glued it. Then dropped it and broke it off, then I drilled a bit more of a hole into the body's arm socket and put more glue in there for a better hold.

If I was to do it again though, I'd have pinned it. 

• Like 1

I've got to re-take these pics with the lights set up correctly and see if I can get that lint/dust off her. Starting to trigger my OCD now lol. 

Your fabric looks phenomenal and I really dig the base!

I might just be crazy, but she looks a bit like Juliette Lewis.

Thanks!

Yeah, I think you are totally right about who she looks like  :blink:

• Like 1

I picked up the evil female sorceress (DSM7402), and the variant summoner (DSM2204), but haven't tackled either one yet. I like what you did here, and I agree that your next step should be working on freehand. not necessarily on this one (I think it looks good as is), but definitely in the near future.

• Like 1

I picked up the evil female sorceress (DSM7402), and the variant summoner (DSM2204), but haven't tackled either one yet. I like what you did here, and I agree that your next step should be working on freehand. not necessarily on this one (I think it looks good as is), but definitely in the near future.

Really enjoying the details on the DSM figures, the two you linked are pretty cool too, hope to see your take on them soon.

Thanks for the compliments and for the advice to go for the freehand Dave  ^_^