Sign in to follow this  
smokingwreckage

28mm Dictator and Despot!

Alright, so here they are. The Dictator is unfinished because many moons ago, I was layering green on it in many transparent layers for a deep and lovely finish. Then one night my then-very-small daughter Evie got into my paints and resurfaced a lot of the mini. It got packed away shortly thereafter and I never got back to it.

The Despot is painted to work with my 28mm humans-in-power-armour army, that being the UNE from Legions of Steel, using Defiance: Vital Ground to mediate conflicts between them and a mate's Space Marines (which he has heavily modified to take advantage of the huge range of options available in the DVG troop and weapon builders)

post-180-0-27510300-1411050204_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-81240200-1411050103_thumb.jpg

• Like 20

The Bigtator, as it is affectionately known by the handful of people who know it exists, and the Despot, are both 28mm resin kits put out by their designer, Mr John Bear Ross. He upsized the original 3D models using MAGIC that lives inside computers and his head, jointly, had them 3-D printed, and then contracted out the casting. The kits had cast pewter parts that twist-lock together to enable articulation at most of the joints, although this was tricky to actually make work exactly right.

ETA: the Dictator's shoulders (with the rocket pods) swivel against the torso: the torso swivels at the waist, the cannons swivel. The hip joints were swivels too, but I had to putty them up to make it stand well, along with cutting and filling a lot to give it a walking pose. The Despot turret is jointed to turn freely and the missile pod is hinged so that it can "pop up" or go back into a protected resting position within its cradle (but it doesn't stay raised without propping, poster tack on the far side in this case).

I am hopelessly sentimental about both these models, I really love both of them. They took some effort to assemble, trim, and clean-up, and I probably should have spent even more time on the Despot, but it was entirely worth it, as I hope you'll agree.

The Scorpion hexapedal ? quadrupedal? mech was also given the 28mm treatment, but I didn't hear about it in time, the casting had major issues, and it was never again offered for sale :(

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 6

You should put up some pics with LoS figs (especially Infranites or UNE) next to the Despot & 'Tator.

Some infantry with a BAP and a Jetbike!!!11!!!

PLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSE ?????!!??

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mckenna35
      28mm scale "Stug" mech I painted for a friend.  I know he got it out of a Kickstarter, but otherwise no idea who makes it.  He'll be finishing the base to match the rest of his army.  Tried some different paints and techniques and pushed the 'weathering' further than I have before.  All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

• By Mckenna35
      I know there are a few folks that do Bolt Action and similar 28mm wargaming (@buglips), so I thought I'd bounce this out there.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tftb/world-war-ii-soviet-railroad?ref=discovery_recommendations

Story
      Railroads are an important means to transport troops, equipment, ammunition and all other kinds of supply to the front. Especially in a country as vast as the Soviet Union with it's endless steppes, only few reliable roads and no major rivers running in the direction of the German advance during Operation Barbarossa in World War II. 
      With this set of detailed buildings and rolling stock in 1/56 scale for 28mm figures you get the opportunity to recreate the crucial fighting around the Soviet railroad system.
      The kits focus on the major pieces of rolling stock available to the Soviet defenders: box cars, gondola cars and flat cars. And the mighty ALCo RSD-1 Diesel Engine which was made available under the US Lend-Lease Act.
      Also included is a typical rural train station with optional additional platforms for all who want to depict a Soviet - or captured German - supply depot, where heavy equipment like tanks and guns are being unloaded.
      And for all of you looking for an armored train - don't worry! We have you covered.
        Talking about railroad tracks:
      We did not see the need to reinvent the wheel, so all kits are designed to be used with
      4Ground Railroad Tracks (available as add-ons to the Kickstarter) or O Gauge Model Railroad Tracks The kits include optional parts enabling you to choose your favorite system while assembling. Going this route has allowed us to concentrate on designing and producing the rolling stock only, which has the advantage of an earlier fulfillment date for the Kickstarter.
      All models are highly detailed on the outside and inside. The interiors are easily accessible, as roofs are removable. In addition, all doors are moveable, which means you can open or close them during gameplay.

• By CAVBOSS
      Set aside some time for our 2nd virtual gaming convention coming March 26-27! We are currently working on a full line of events that will include online gaming, special guests, virtual painting contest, and much more! Special miniatures and prizes will also be available.
      We are looking for more content contributors and would love to host your event! Please email us at cavcon(at)talon-games(dot)com ASAP! www.twitch.tv/talongamesonline

MAINVIRTUAL CC 2021 MAIN_2.mp4
    • By MusicalFeline
      Brief word of introduction. I know next to nil about CAV. My current interest in it is solely from a painting perspective. With that in mind, please excuse any blunders I make.

So, I'm a painter looking for some cool stuff to paint. I see CAV's mechs. I think "I like mechs, those look cool, I think I'll grab some". Then my eyes flicker upwards towards where it says "10mm scale". I think you can see where this is going.

Long story short, how big are these? It looks like they come on 1" hexes, and $4.99-$6.99 is quite a lot to charge for a small mini (in my opinion, of course).

Many thanks, all!
    • By Inarah
      3 new figures and a chance to get the original 10 from a previous project. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1240892696/three-nomads?ref=discovery&term=miniature

• Who's Online   28 Members, 2 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)