77049: Arthrand Nightblade, Elf Ranger

Coleford

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, the Citadel browns I have are terrible. They're... dull, almost? Like, lifeless - they're quite glossy once dry. Their reddish browns are nicer, IME.

Might I suggest grabbing a bottle of Muddy Brown? That's my favorite Reaper color that's in the same sort of zone as the one you used for the skirt... Which one is that, BTW?

• Like 1

Might I suggest grabbing a bottle of Muddy Brown? That's my favorite Reaper color that's in the same sort of zone as the one you used for the skirt... Which one is that, BTW?

It was actually a very very very very very very very ancient bottle of Liquitex Burnt Umber that's likely around the same age as me, which is why it looks even more hideous than normal.

The Only GW Brown I've ever been fond of is Snakebite Leather, which is a staple in my repertoire.

The Only GW Brown I've ever been fond of is Snakebite Leather, which is a staple in my repertoire.

And they stopped making it.  Happens to all of my favorite colors of theirs.  I've still got a jar, though.  Oh, and you can get the same color from Vallejo (I'm pretty sure).

To be fair, a lot of people have trouble with browns- neutral colors just have an inherent boringness that you need to overcome.  The trick I learned is that every brown is leaning towards a color (often orange or yellow) and the browns look really interesting if you vary them as you highlight up.

Going extreme with orange or even reddish browns for shading with yellowish browns for highlighting makes for a really neat worn leather look.  In GW paints, try Tau Light Ocre, then shade with Mornfang Brown then highlight with Tallarn Sand or even Zemesi desert.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 5