Reaper Artist Conference and Open House: October 25-26, 2014

ladystorm

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which brings up something that some newer folks may not realize; this will be held at the factory, like the ReaperCons of old. Having the con at a hotel, and being able to stay onsite is nice, but there is a definite charm to hanging out at the factory for a couple days.

~v

This is why I really wish I could attend, but I have coaching responsibilities for my kids' soccer teams.  Work is no longer an issue at least.

• Like 1

So, new here (Hi everyone!) and lucky enough to recently have moved about 5 hours away from Denton (San Antonio, TX), so I'm thinking on attending RAC. Soooo, what is it? While I make a fool of myself by attending and have little to no experience painting minis? (i know the theory, but have a lot of problems actually getting the time to practice!) 

I wish I could go. :down:

Why can't Texas be closer?

Well, Texas is bigger than most of the European Union....

hmmm... how many air miles do I have right now....

I'm not saying you should come, but you should come. :;):

~v

Easy for you to say Vince, you could throw a stone and hit the factory by comparison. :devil:

I'm trying to justify 13 hours of driving on top of 13 hours of driving back....

• Like 2

At $20 an hour... that is $520 to spend on a flight from ATL to DAL on Southwest and a rental car...  much more rested when you arrive.

$320 plus taxes for Friday/Sunday flights leaves $200 for rental car (some as low as $30 a day)...

Hmm.. I need to look into this more.  (translation = begin begging the wife to let me go)

I wish I could go. :down:

Why can't Texas be closer?

Well, Texas is bigger than most of the European Union....

hmmm... how many air miles do I have right now....

I'm not saying you should come, but you should come. :;):

~v

Easy for you to say Vince, you could throw a stone and hit the factory by comparison. :devil:

I'm trying to justify 13 hours of driving on top of 13 hours of driving back....

The 20 or so hours keep me away.  I'll save the drive for ReaperCon.

• Like 1

You're correct; it is easy for me to say. ::D:

However, I choose to look at the situation as one more benefit to living in Texas. As for the rest of you, I'm not saying you should move to Texas, but... :;):

Seriously, I can understand people not making the trip from further away for this event; if you can only swing one, save it for RCon. There's just too much going on then not to come. But if you are close enough, or live in a city that you can get cheap flights into Dallas (Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, etc), then popping down for a weekend of fun at the factory might just be worth your while. Honestly, it blew me away when Kevin showed up last year for the RAC/KS close event; I'm not quite sure what I'd think if he shows up again this year.

~v

• Like 1

How... unfortunate that he's not open to more new experiences. I learned a long time ago that a(ny) convention experience is what you make of it. Story time!

Back in the 90's, I was attending GenCon fairly regularly. My second year I traveled there with friends, and my gaming schedule was radically different that theirs. I found myself with 4 hours to kill on the first night of the con; I'd been playing for 12 already, and had a full plate of tournament stuff the following day, so I wasn't interested in taxing my brain with another game. Instead, I wandered out on to the street, where they were having a block party. It looked like it would have been a lot of fun to hang out there with friends, but mine were off playing other games. I could have bailed, found a quiet spot, and done a little reading. Instead, I decided that my goal for the evening was to meet as many people from as many places as possible. I grabbed a drink, and walked up to some people and introduced myself. I spent the next 3 hours meeting people from all over the country, and at least a dozen countries. At some point, I started to run into some of these people again, and we'd wave and say hello like long-lost friends. People also started to introduce me to other people that were there from the industry, and that was the first time I met Jeff Easley. When I mentioned to another person that I loved Shadowrun. and was there partially to play the Prime Runner tournament, I got dragged over to the FASA VIP area, and introduced around to several folks there, including one of their artists.

It wasn't until I caught up with my friends later and shared the story of my evening that one of them asked me about the artist. I couldn't exactly remember his name (I'd met A LOT of people at that point, and was on drink number who's-counting-anyways), and said it started with a B... maybe Bran? (I know, like I muffin; I feel horrible about it to this day.) My buddy's eyes about popped out, and he grabbed his Dark Sun book, showing me the cover and said, "BROM?!" I think he about had a cow that I'd met Brom and had no idea who he was at the time.

tl;dr - You can have fun anywhere, if you are willing to try.

~v

• Like 6