Reaper Artist Conference and Open House: October 25-26, 2014

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Echoing that same sentiment: Thank You to the many people involved in making this event available to us. I had a blast & was never happier to be a classroom guinea pig. For those who were unable t

I had a blast! Thanks a lot, Reaper. I loved it! You guys are great =D

Goblin archer riding a spider :P   And Jason wiebe convinced me to put my shoatima otter on a donated base with a bunch of his own pewter pumpkins and enter him in the art contest lol. Painted the p

Posted Images

I was playing with Expedia...and its 382$ for two people, flight and hotel to go..........................................................................................The temptation is freaking amazing right now. >_< The Mr doesn't have a lot of vacation time so the odds are slim, but that is a great price. 

• Like 1

That is a nice price. Hell flight price for me alone is that roundtrip.

Sad for me also this time last year I was waiting for the days to tick down so thr family & I could do a weekend roadtrip over to Portland for Legofest (think GenCon for Legos). Nothing going on this year unfortunately.

• Like 1

How... unfortunate that he's not open to more new experiences. I learned a long time ago that a(ny) convention experience is what you make of it. Story time!

Back in the 90's, I was attending GenCon fairly regularly. My second year I traveled there with friends, and my gaming schedule was radically different that theirs. I found myself with 4 hours to kill on the first night of the con; I'd been playing for 12 already, and had a full plate of tournament stuff the following day, so I wasn't interested in taxing my brain with another game. Instead, I wandered out on to the street, where they were having a block party. It looked like it would have been a lot of fun to hang out there with friends, but mine were off playing other games. I could have bailed, found a quiet spot, and done a little reading. Instead, I decided that my goal for the evening was to meet as many people from as many places as possible. I grabbed a drink, and walked up to some people and introduced myself. I spent the next 3 hours meeting people from all over the country, and at least a dozen countries. At some point, I started to run into some of these people again, and we'd wave and say hello like long-lost friends. People also started to introduce me to other people that were there from the industry, and that was the first time I met Jeff Easley. When I mentioned to another person that I loved Shadowrun. and was there partially to play the Prime Runner tournament, I got dragged over to the FASA VIP area, and introduced around to several folks there, including one of their artists.

It wasn't until I caught up with my friends later and shared the story of my evening that one of them asked me about the artist. I couldn't exactly remember his name (I'd met A LOT of people at that point, and was on drink number who's-counting-anyways), and said it started with a B... maybe Bran? (I know, like I muffin; I feel horrible about it to this day.) My buddy's eyes about popped out, and he grabbed his Dark Sun book, showing me the cover and said, "BROM?!" I think he about had a cow that I'd met Brom and had no idea who he was at the time.

tl;dr - You can have fun anywhere, if you are willing to try.

~v

Agreed! 

• Like 1

...It wasn't until I caught up with my friends later and shared the story of my evening that one of them asked me about the artist. I couldn't exactly remember his name (I'd met A LOT of people at that point, and was on drink number who's-counting-anyways), and said it started with a B... maybe Bran? (I know, like I muffin; I feel horrible about it to this day.) My buddy's eyes about popped out, and he grabbed his Dark Sun book, showing me the cover and said, "BROM?!" I think he about had a cow that I'd met Brom and had no idea who he was at the time.

tl;dr - You can have fun anywhere, if you are willing to try.

~v

D: You met Brom?! So jealous! I saw his little panel/seminar thing last Gen Con. He seemed super cool and I've always loved his work. Though to be fair, "back in the 90s" I was a bit too young to be going to cons. :P By the time I got to see him at his panel, he was WAY to famous for me to hang out with. 

But yeah, I agree entirely with the point you're making. One of the best times I had at a con was this past Gencon. Usually I sell art at cons and don't get to leave the table. Gen Con is my fun con. At a Onyx Path freelancing seminar, I started talking to this girl and my beau and I hung out with her and her friends and we went to the RAM (I've been going to Gen Con for eight years and that was my first time at the RAM.) It was completely on a whim and we skipped some events for it but just hanging out with these new, awesome people was some of the most fun I've had. It's a con! You're among like-minded individuals, often in the thousands! Go up and chat to some! 

• Like 4

It's hard to *not* socialize at Reaper events, especially if you are already a forum member. Your rep from Coraldrax alone would be enough for people to want to say "hey".

And I can assure you that as long as I'm there, there will always be an opportunity to play *something*. I rarely plan anything for myself to do at Reaper events these days, preferring instead to just go with the flow. I'm nearly always available for a pickup game. ::):

~v

• Like 5
D: You met Brom?! So jealous! I saw his little panel/seminar thing last Gen Con. He seemed super cool and I've always loved his work. Though to be fair, "back in the 90s" I was a bit too young to be going to cons. :P By the time I got to see him at his panel, he was WAY to famous for me to hang out with. 

Yeah, I have to admit I felt pretty bad about it at the time; Since I didn't make the connection with who he was, my reaction was pretty much just "hey, nice to meet you. You do Shadowrun art? Cool."  LOL  After the convo with my friend (who is pretty much a Brom fan-boy), I stopped by the FASA booth later in the con and said hello again, and apologized for not recognizing who he was. I knew and liked plenty of his stuff (Dark Sun, Planescape, and Shadowrun art), but just hadn't connected the art to the artist. To this day, it remains one of my favorite GenCon stories and most memorable moments, 15-20 years later.

I completely agree about the "outside of the con" socializing; it's not often I get to be around so many people with so many shared interests. It would be a shame not to capitalize on that as much as possible.

~v

• Like 1

It's hard to *not* socialize at Reaper events, especially if you are already a forum member. Your rep from Coraldrax alone would be enough for people to want to say "hey".

And I can assure you that as long as I'm there, there will always be an opportunity to play *something*. I rarely plan anything for myself to do at Reaper events these days, preferring instead to just go with the flow. I'm nearly always available for a pickup game. ::):

~v

I'm not worried about myself really haha, i know plenty of you guys from the forum, i'd want to talk to artists and sculptors, I'll be plenty entertained. My husband is just worried he himself won't know anyone, is normally not the type to start conversation himself, and isn't into the art thing. I'll work on convincing him though =P

• Like 3

~v

I'm not worried about myself really haha, i know plenty of you guys from the forum, i'd want to talk to artists and sculptors, I'll be plenty entertained. My husband is just worried he himself won't know anyone, is normally not the type to start conversation himself, and isn't into the art thing. I'll work on convincing him though =P

If I make it I can corner him and bore him to death talking about history, firearms, obscure comic villains, and bad movies. 

• Like 6

~v

My wife got heavily into miniatures when we did a paint and take at Dragoncon a year ago and joined the forums.  I was never really into it myself and enjoyed more of the gaming aspect rather than the miniatures themselves.  She begged and pleaded with me to go to Rcon and I told her it was either Dcon or Rcon because funds are never that loose. So, she chose Rcon.  As the con approached, I figured i would take a more vested interest in the forums, since my wife was spending most of her free time posting here.  I also didn't want to get to Rcon and not know anyone.  When I got there, I had a lot of fun because i actually knew a good amount of people.  As a result of my vested interest into my wife's hobbies, she has taken a big leap into my interests (roleplaying games).  She now has more dice than i do, she can make characters of her own in both Pathfinder and D&D, and is much more active in our games as a result.  I know that other people will feel differently about this, but I really do feel that if you share an interest with your married partner, it makes it much more fun for both parties.

• Like 8

~v

Simple solution, make him sign up on this forum. Then he will have "names" associated with some people and get some games going. ^_^

• Like 3