CMON basing system featured Micro Art Studio

SamuraiJack

So with this set, we're gonna get 48 40mm and 12 50mm bases, assuming that we make upcoming goals & the next stretch is, indeed, another 50mm base, right? So... what are these used for? What's the difference between the sizes, and what uses them? For example, would one of Reaper's Bones Orcs fit on a 40mm?

Okay, first: These bases are aimed at wargames that use 30, 40, and 50mm as their standard sizes. Warmachine, Hordes, and Malifaux. (Also the Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy RPG.)

Second: 30mm would be a Medium DnD critter, if you used a 30mm grid instead of a 1-inch grid. Making 40mm Large, and 50mm Huge (though it could fit easily in a Large space of 4 x 30mm squares).

So, in theory, a Reaper Orc should fit on a 30mm base. (Though I put mine on 40mm bases and am using them as Ogres. The 40mm bases look less crowded with the Orc than the 30mm did.)

Hope that clears it up for you, Aard.

• Like 2

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually 25-30mm would be medium, 50mm would be large, 75mm would be huge. In d&d terms of sizes. Don't know what I'd use 40mm for as they don't correlate to sizes on grids except for maybe a smaller large creature, but it'd be awkward.

I'd use the 40 for large if the figure fits nicely on it.  And then just put it in the corner of 4 squares.

I like using 30mm lipped bases. I prefer them for my skirmish style games where base size doesn't really matter as long as you are consistant. For instance my WWI troops are all mounted that way. They are also my preferred base for competition entries because they are just big enough to do that little extra bit of scenary without going overboard. I'll be skipping this one though as none of the designs will work with any of my current projects; Blood Bowl needs 25mm and my Old West and WWI projects need something a lot less fancy.

Okay, first: These bases are aimed at wargames that use 30, 40, and 50mm as their standard sizes. Warmachine, Hordes, and Malifaux. (Also the Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy RPG.)

I'm curious, is 30mm the new standard for most games?

I compared a 25mm and 30mm base last night, and I can see why 30mm would be more popular.  There's a little more room to fit figures on, as well as add a little scenery to the base.  A lot of my old figures on 25mm bases barely fit, and those are the man-sized ones; larger figures look even more awkward.  Given that miniatures have generally scaled up slightly over the years ("heroic scale", etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if 30mm is the new norm.

• Like 1

I don't mind 30mm [i like the round lip, painted black it gives a nice look to the finished mini] but my husband is adamant about his game mat and squares and everything fitting. But that's okay, like you said some of the larger humanoid figures just don't fit well on a 25mm [and he won't use them anyways because they 'look too big' XD hhe's so silly] so as long as I get more variety, i'll keep my pledge in  ^_^

• Like 1

I don't mind 30mm [i like the round lip, painted black it gives a nice look to the finished mini] but my husband is adamant about his game mat and squares and everything fitting. But that's okay, like you said some of the larger humanoid figures just don't fit well on a 25mm [and he won't use them anyways because they 'look too big' XD hhe's so silly] so as long as I get more variety, i'll keep my pledge in  ^_^

Need to tell him to lighten up!   :;):

Just his personalty haha. He's a stickler for things to look correct. He's building furniture props lately, and is going to great pains to make sure they are size-appropriate and fill the exact number of squares they should lol.  ::P:

I looked at MA site, i do like the Jungle bases and several others. Hope to see some!

Edited by Sirithiliel

I've used a number of MAS bases before, and there is a certain amount of playing around trying to find a good model for a certain base. Ordering them blind is also a bit tricky because if you have a certain pose with offset height feet you want a base for you might not get one that matches up well, or if you need a buncha flat ones you may only end up with one or two that are usable.

The nice thing is they all do eventually get used one way or the other. You might just have to wait for the right mini to come along though.

I don't mind 30mm [i like the round lip, painted black it gives a nice look to the finished mini]

Same here; previously I had only worked with the old GW-style bases, which are a bit basic.  I really like the rounded 30mm bases, for the extra space and generally nicer aesthetic.

Hopefully we'll see some extra styles unlocked before the KS ends; I expect the right ones could bring an influx of new backers who like the concept, but don't really need the currently offered styles.

• Like 1

The shipping place is a good 30 minutes from me. Wonder if I can just pick em up when delivery time is due. :P save on shipping.

This is what I'm wondering as well!!!! This is one time I'm thankful to be near Atlanta.

Ya, I think I was the one that brought it over. Went in for an EB to see where it goes but I might end up at just the $22 level as I really only like a few of the designs.

THis is what I'm doing. I don't need all of those, I already have it broken down in my head which ones I'll get in which configuration.

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 1

I'm curious, is 30mm the new standard for most games?

I compared a 25mm and 30mm base last night, and I can see why 30mm would be more popular.  There's a little more room to fit figures on, as well as add a little scenery to the base.  A lot of my old figures on 25mm bases barely fit, and those are the man-sized ones; larger figures look even more awkward.  Given that miniatures have generally scaled up slightly over the years ("heroic scale", etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if 30mm is the new norm.

Seems like it is. Many non-GW games seem to be going that way. Wyrd (makers of Malifaux) make some really nice (metal) base inserts in those sizes.

Secretly swap his 1-inch gaming mat for a 30mm gaming mat. :devil:

• Like 2