Paranoia RPG Minis seeking feedback.

Reaperbryan

OK, I'm gonna run a Paranoia Game.  I want to use NOVA troops as the PC Torubleshooters.  Going to paint up some IMEFs as Green Goons, and Some IntSec Blue Troopers, too.

Going to use some of the scientist characters as R&D types, with various security clearance colored lab coats.

So, I want to know whether I should do head swaps on the minis, or leave the NOVA with Helmets (there's one with no helmet already, but I was going to use all 6 different NOVA)

Also, one of the Missions I have has the PCs start at Red and get promoted gradually up all the way to Ultraviolet, stopping at Orange, Yellow, and Blue along the way, and maybe actually every level, I don't remember just now.  Should the PCs (with or without head swaps) have a fully painted mini at each "level"?

What do you all think?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Paranioa! THE game of GM power abuse. Make the PC's paint your minis if they want a security upgrade! Have the respective paint triad and a few brushes available after each player's debriefing. But if they pick the wrong colour or make red look too orange or orange look to yellow... ZAP!!! I'm sorry citizen, wearing a colour above your security clearance is treason!

Also have tools, limbs and glue ready for weapon/ limb/head swaps, but if the PC puts his mini in the field incomplete... OOPS! Looks like this trobleshooter had a grisly accident off screen! Mark off a Clone and pull yourself together!

• Like 10

Paranoia is such a fun game! What a fun idea to do it with minis; I've never had any games last long enough to justify doing so, since they were all one-shots.

I'd say that in general, do whatever will be most fun for you. If the thought of painting up THAT many minis, and/or doing THAT many head swaps makes the game less fun for you, or distracts from actual game preparation, then don't!

Something else to consider might be to get a bunch of different appropriately-sized washers/metal bases and paint THOSE the different colors, then glue a magnet to the base of each mini. That way, security clearance swaps would be quick and easy, without you having to paint each and every mini a different color. :)

Have fun with your game, wish I could play too!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

you... you can PAINT?

I... I never realized... I mean, I guess I've always known, like, academically, but I just assumed...

Well, really I just thought you sat on them. Can't imagine your pointy lizard fingers are much good for holding a brush...

ETA: Keep them helmeted. They don't deserve the illusion of individuality that faces offer! Plus, eyes.

• Like 7

I would go for heads, because individual heads make for a nice quick recognition on the field, plus character. You are the bald guy, or the mohak guy, or the asian guy... etc. It is not like you don't have a choice of heads at Reaper!

About the clearance color, I think it would be fun to do it... but only in one area so you can reuse 99% of the pant job. Perhaps the right arm's forearm armor piece, or the knee, something like that that you can repaint in about a minute.

• Like 5

It is my understanding that Paranoia has changed a lot since the first iteration from West End Games; this is the version I used to play, back in the ancient times before the oceans drank Atlantis, and R&D thought that nuclear hand grenades were a good idea, and wanted the Troubleshooters to test them on their next mission.

The NOVA troops are fine minis, but I'd think of them more as Vulture Squadron types, as opposed to lightly armored and terribly vulnerable Troubleshooters. Has the game changed that much? I still think in terms of the old Jim Holloway art where the Troubleshooters were guys running around in red bib overalls and white T-shirts.

And a laser. Yes, always, a laser.

• Like 1

No, Jim Holloway even still does the illustrations, and the Troubleshooters are always shown in Overalls.

And the mission assignments always say the PCs are in Red Reflec Armor.

Reflec Armor.  Is that really the same as Overalls? Becuase it's possible to wear overalls in the game and NOT be wearing Reflec.

IMEFs are Vulture squad Green Goons.  That's REAL Armor and Weapons...

Something else to consider might be to get a bunch of different appropriately-sized washers/metal bases and paint THOSE the different colors, then glue a magnet to the base of each mini. That way, security clearance swaps would be quick and easy, without you having to paint each and every mini a different color. :)

Huzzah!

I think that this idea is brilliant! This is what you should do.

• Like 2

Huzzah!

I think that this idea is brilliant! This is what you should do.

Oneboot's washers + magnets idea rocks. Additionally, it is re-usable and it creates a uniform base size for the Nova figures that come with variously shaped integral bases.

I am always a fan of washers and magnets. In this application magnetic business card stock would be sufficient magnet power to stick a bones Nova figure to a washer.

• Like 1

I could be misremembering, since the last time I actually PLAYED the game was more than twenty years ago, but I was under the impression that Reflec armor was kind of similar to a cellophane jumpsuit... and provided about as much protection against anything but lasers.

And Oneboot's idea sounds excellent.

• Like 1