Paranoia RPG Minis seeking feedback.

Reaperbryan

The one that's mostly painted is Rex, Dark Future Hero, and then in order above we have the heads of Duke Gerard, Townsfolk W/ Pitchfork (Registered mutant, BTW, that's what the stripe on the base is reminding me when I get there!) Alastriel female bard, Rosie is unmodified, and the last head was Almaran the Gold.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I made really nice character sheets.  I'll be mostly running canned adventures, and using the pre-gens from them, so I have a few different "photos" in these sheets, and will be painting the hair/skin to match.

Paranoiasheet.jpg

EDIT TO ADD: There's an envelope that I will attach to the sheet, and inside that envelope is the "Secret" side of the sheet. Mutation, Secret Society, treasonous equipment, etc. Also makes a great place to store handouts and any player-generated notes.

And I will *definitely* be using CAVs (like the Razor is perfect for a Warbot) as bots.  Any good suggestions for Scrubots?

Paranoia2.jpg

These are the photos that the Troubleshooters will be painted as.  The Smiling guy in the upper right with the stripe on his arm is the Registered Mutant.

I had thought of that one!  Probably what I'll go with, and mops are easy to make.

I figure I'll need a few Vulture Goons, and some Blue Int Sec in armor, plus some Blue IntSec in Trenchcoats, Gestapo Style.  A few Warbots, a few Scrubots, and some of the XAIRbots as all-purpose Bots, and R&D guys in lab coats.  Anything else?

I guess I need to go through the modules and make lists.

*sigh*  I got a lot of painting ahead of me...

Now, What I don't have is a ton of sci-fi terrain.  So I was just going to use THESE for maps. It's 2-d, but fully customizable and I don;t think I have time to paint all the minis AND make enough paper craft sci-fi walls and floors to be usable.

I guess I need to go through the modules and make lists.

*sigh*  I got a lot of painting ahead of me...

Now, What I don't have is a ton of sci-fi terrain.  So I was just going to use THESE for maps. It's 2-d, but fully customizable and I don;t think I have time to paint all the minis AND make enough paper craft sci-fi walls and floors to be usable.

so you aren't hijacking all those alien space ship bulkheads from bones 2 then? good to know. (I am kidding)

I've never had a problem with basic maps for RPGs, paper or other fancy terrain is nice, but given the regularity with which players like to run around and sneak in an unexpected way I usually don't go much fancier than a marker drawing and maybe a little scatter terrain for flavor. 

You've got to work some Toolbots in somehow.  (Chronoscope #50015.)  Those just strike me as having the right level of sci-fi + not-quite-that-serious that they'd fit in with a Paranoia game.

Personally, I think it's crazy to even bother painting minis for a Paranoia game.  This is THE game with the ridiculously high turnover rate.  If you read the rules, you might get the idea that you actually have some hope of making it through various levels of progression, but it seemed that in any actual game play, it was more like, "Let's see how quickly we can get the entire party, and ALL of its clones killed off."

(It's one of those games that, in my humble opinion, made for great gamer-talk, and reading the RPG material was a hoot, but I just couldn't get invested in it as anything more than just a diversionary joke in between more "serious" campaigns.)

That said, I love the idea of using the NOVA Corps figures for Troubleshooters (with a special emphasis on "shoot").

Random brainstorm: With all the talk of head-swaps, it makes me wonder if it might be useful to paint custom heads for each of the characters, mount them on wires ... and then you'd just "plug in" the heads on different Bones bodies with some holes drilled in for pinning (minus the super-glue).  You could paint several NOVA Corps models in progressing color schemes, but at least you wouldn't have to redo the heads.

I would note here that it would be AWESOME if Reaper were to at some point come up with some sort of sci-fi jumpsuit/coveralls characters that could be used as generic technicians, shooters-of-troubles, or even busters-of-paranormal-entities, provided they're given appropriate equipment for the scenario.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, for sci-fi maps....

1) Doom: The Board Game.  I have a bunch of puzzle-linking floor tiles from this game from Fantasy Flight Games.  They're nicely printed and die-cut, and the set came with a bunch of doors, too.  On the down-side, this is out of print, and there are lots of "blood smears" on various parts (which might not be entirely in keeping with the mood you want to set in a setting where death is usually more cartoony).  On the plus side, if you happen to have "Descent: Journeys into Darkness," the "puzzle-lock" cuts are the same, and you can link these tiles up with the caverns and such from THAT game.

2) Sedition Wars.  This board game has been marked down considerably from its original list price.  It also has a bazillion minis and plastic bases.  But it also happens to have some fairly nice sci-fi themed floor tiles.

3) Drama Scape - "Junction Room" -- Free download from RPGNow.com: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/102832/Junction-Room  <-- Pretty nice corridor-and-junction.  If I didn't already have so many alternatives, I'd consider printing THIS map off a few times and gluing down to foam-core, chopping off the terminating points, in order to have some linking sci-fi corridors and such.  I know there are some nifty Star Wars fan-made maps out there and such that might have a decent sci-fi theme, too, if you don't mind the obvious Star Wars touches.  (Here are a few: http://starwarsmaps.blogspot.com/ )

Anyway, just representing floor flats (sections of corridor, with bare table on each side where there are WALLS), and then having stand-up features only for things of special interest (doors, computer terminals, crates/cover, killer robot turrets) tends to work well for me.  I've experimented with 3D scenery with Hirst Arts tiles and such, but it tends to require more special care for storage, and it tends to push me into a bind as a GM when I don't have JUST the right scenery for some improvised encounter when the PCs headed off in some random, unanticipated direction.  More generic floor tiles (that I can customize with a few "furniture" items) tend to be more forgiving in this regard than fancier mini-diorama terrain pieces.

I've never played Paranoia, but I did just have a Fiasco using the Alpha Complex set...possibly one of the best Fiascos I've played. It went totally Philip K. Dick, and entirely pear-shaped. Now I might want to play Paranoia.

This project is made of Win...or possibly not, I get the impression that's the point.

Had a chance to put a base coat on Orange and Yellow Clearance.
Head not swapped. No touch up of where it is sloppy. No lining or highlighting yet.

Oh - what colors do I highlight with? I would normally highlight Mr. Ornage with a yellowy Ornage, but I don't want to go yellow. 

And How do you Highlight Yellow? I don't want to go White...

image.jpg