Sign in to follow this  
MissMelons

Orange! The Color of Tricks!

Solution. Solvent is the stuff solutes are dissolved into to form a solution, which is a mix of stuff-dissolved-in-liquid.

I think there's also some magenta in there too, for some reason.

Yes, that's right, solution. My brain is fuzzy today. @[email protected]

Don't forget the unicorn wee.

It may have been mentioned, but part of the trick here is that skin tones and many browns ARE ORANGE. Look at a caucasian skin tone and say to yourself  "a pale, slightly de-saturated, pinkish orange". Now look at a middling warm brown and say " a very, very, dark orange with some black or blue in it".

• Like 2

Talespinner & I have been friends decades and I have always had him paint miniatures for me.  He always did a great job.  Then he goes all rogue on me and starts sculpting.  Tells me I have to paint my own miniatures. He sweet talks me into going to ReaperCon 2013, at great risk to my home life <insert disgruntled family here> that I was going to "have fun while they had to stay home."  All in all, I opted the path of forgiveness instead of permission.  I'm still in one piece, and have managed to get my kid interested in painting as a result of this trip.  SO, it has been a good thing...but an expensive one (if you have nothing to start with, the upfront cost for me was super high) but I made it work. I didn't have any paints, brushes, mixing trays, lights, vision magnification, or a clue...until after i just started painting at the con.

My first painted miniature was the Hell Hound (77038: Hell Hound by: Ben Siens)...but that is another story.

Anyways, I have been working with Talespinner on painting minis since ReaperCon 2013.  He has given me pointers and descriptions etc, with the patience of a saint. 

I started a Pathfinder adventure and one of the characters is a monk, and the guy playing him asked me to paint him a mini.  I'm terrified, I have not ever painted a human.  I spent time trying to figure out how to paint skeletons...<ok, technically they were human skeletons>... so in my brain, I have no idea how to even start this mini.  SO, I ask him what the color scheme is:  Yellow shirt & pants, Orange Cloak, Blue Highlights, Brown Hair, Blue hair ties.

I looked for a miniature that fit his her and settled on: Kazumi, Male Monk by: James van Schaik.

Now for the on topic comment:

1) I was thinking I would paint orange as my mid tone, and then darken the orange with a light brown (but didn't) and then lighten the orange for highlights with some yellow (but I didn't do that either).

What happened:  I was putting on my base coat of orange, and it streaked...so I put on another layer, and it streaked...<insert frustration>...after about 15 coats of orange, I finally had no streaking, and a smooth color.  I was a wreck!  I was frustrated.  I swore I would never touch orange again because it sucks...

This is why I never got to mixing any shadow or highlight colors for orange.  I was so unahappy about my base coat experience that I went into avoidance mode for orange.

2) I thought I could relax again if i worked with the yellow shirt & pants.  AGAIN!  it took lots of coats just to get it looking good...and again, I'm just frustrated.

I set the mini aside for about a week.  After seeing a councilor for Chrysophobia, Xanthophobia, and consulting many adult beverages, I went back and finished the mini.

I used 50/50 Orange and a orangeish red and just glazed in the shadows.

Kazumi-Back_zps82e34531.jpeg

Kazumi-Front_zps820ba677.jpeg

Sorry for the massive photos, But I wanted to show what happened with my orange experience.

*NOTE:  The white stuff on the back view is from my dull coat sprayed in high humidity <for which I had no idea this would happen>

Now my kid wants me to paint a Pumpkin Monster...Not sure why, with October basically here and advertisements of Halloween everywhere.  SO, I have to face my nemesis - ORANGE...

I apologize for the long explanation.

I'm looking for some advice on how to base coat and then work my way up to the orange of a pumpkin...

Edited by Kreve Lavelle
  • Like 4

I think this came out fantastic for your first time playing with orange! My experience was quite similar, with tears and the like. The fun thing about colors is that if we all sat up, painted the same miniature and used the same base color of orange, then we would still all paint that miniature differently. For this monks Gi, that shade of orange is PERFECT. (Reminds me of Goku's gi, which is good because I don't think I could replicate that color that closely) I'm on my first 'official' year of painting miniatures and probably on my (counts since Reapercon 2014) sixth month painting decently. I'm still stuck in realism mode so it's incredibly hard for me to paint bright colors, unnatural colors, and the like. Thus, orange, a color I had only, honestly ever used as a highlight for Red or for fire, was viewed as just plain evil. 

I have learned, thanks to this 'evil' orange color. That colors have a feeling. (Yes, this is coming from the person that only paints miniatures that have 'souls' and often times speaks to them as if they had their own personalities.....They do dangit, don't laugh at me!)  Lost my train of thought...oh yes, ..no...yeah I'm lost. 

Every time I learn something new, I always want to go back and paint the miniatures I was previously proud of. It's bothersome because now when I look at them through slightly wiser eyes, I see what I could have done to really blow that miniature away. 

/eyes her frost giant 

Anyways, as far as base coating with orange when on your way to pumpkin.....because of how thin orange is, or can be. I'd base with the shadow color first. I learned this with my orange experiment. No amount of paint on that miniature was staying in place so I ended up mixing red with the orange(Bad idea for the color I wanted, but it helped the paint to stay in place) and then I glazed the base and highlights accordingly. 

Thanks to the amazing knowledge of Rhonda Bender, I have learned that glazing is your friend. Glazing is awesome. Glazing is fun. o_o Glazing. 

I was supposed to meet up with Talespinner at ReaperCon2014 but I was so overwhelmed by Reaper Con that I never made it near the artist table. Never. Didn't even get close to it. (I have a Rcon 2015 list of things I am doing or the Mr is staying behind in the hotel list. I didn't get to see the factory either).

Edited by MissMelons

I think this came out fantastic for your first time playing with orange! My experience was quite similar, with tears and the like. The fun thing about colors is that if we all sat up, painted the same miniature and used the same base color of orange, then we would still all paint that miniature differently. For this monks Gi, that shade of orange is PERFECT. (Reminds me of Goku's gi, which is good because I don't think I could replicate that color that closely)

Thank you.

It is my first person...

I found my color notes for the orange I made:  Marigold Yellow / Fire Orange (50/50)

Anyways, as far as base coating with orange when on your way to pumpkin.....because of how thin orange is, or can be. I'd base with the shadow color first. I learned this with my orange experiment. No amount of paint on that miniature was staying in place so I ended up mixing red with the orange(Bad idea for the color I wanted, but it helped the paint to stay in place) and then I glazed the base and highlights accordingly. 

Thanks to the amazing knowledge of Rhonda Bender, I have learned that glazing is your friend. Glazing is awesome. Glazing is fun. o_o Glazing.

Talespinner has told me, that once I use glazes, I'll like them.  He is right...but I have such a hard time mixing them up so they go on right.

Back to Orange and base coats. You said that if you mix a red in the orange that it will start looking red instead of orange.  Well, being a total novice about color & color theory and color knowledge...and limiting the color choices to reaper paints, what colors would you mix with orange to get the Shadow, Mid tone & Highlights?  I made a guess and lost my mind on the base coat.

We are talking about pumpkins now, and they start out green...so would you use a green to blend in with the orange for the shadow?

Talespinner has told me, that once I use glazes, I'll like them.  He is right...but I have such a hard time mixing them up so they go on right.

Back to Orange and base coats. You said that if you mix a red in the orange that it will start looking red instead of orange.  Well, being a total novice about color & color theory and color knowledge...and limiting the color choices to reaper paints, what colors would you mix with orange to get the Shadow, Mid tone & Highlights?  I made a guess and lost my mind on the base coat.

We are talking about pumpkins now, and they start out green...so would you use a green to blend in with the orange for the shadow?

Well for pumpkin, the closest I can think to get the midtone for that is a mixture of HD Burning Orange and Fire Orange. (I don't have many Reaper Orange paints but from the tiny bit I just text mixed, it's pretty close. Shadow, I  would probably use straight burning orange (Depending on the recess where the shadow is going) and then glaze to the mid tone. highlights, more fire orange to the burning orange concoction. I guess if I had to do percentages... shadow: 75/25 burning/fire. Midtone: 50/50 burning/fire, highlight 25/75 burning/fire Edited to add here: Depending on how bright you want your highlight, it seems fine to add palamino gold to the 50/50 midtone to make a suitable highlight. Palamino isn't so bright that it will fade the rich color of the orange. I experimented by adding sun yellow and it gave the 'highlight' a faded look.

Using Green on a pumpkin will depend on the ripeness and stage of pumpkin that you want. If you're going for full fledged halloween pumpkin, you'd probably only use another shade for the stem on the top, which depending on when it's cut, can be green, brown, dried out brownish/yellow and the like. 

Edited by MissMelons

Reds, Yellows, most Oranges, and sometimes Blues can be a real pain to get a consistent color. IIRC it has to do with the pigments used for those colors. What helps is to base coat with slightly "off" version of that color then apply the actual color. For example, I've started base coating with a mustard yellow before going to pure yellow.

• Like 1