Sign in to follow this  
ub3r_n3rd

SPACE DRAGON'S ADVENTURE - ReaperCon 2015 Team Diorama

Nothing to report as of yet, the order for almost all the Reaper figures shipped today from Reaper to Siri's house, so it should be there in the next day or two.

We have had some discussion about the Obelisk that will go into the diorama which is this little thing from Secret Weapon Miniatures

Obelisk.jpg

We are going to make it look like this:

S000140.jpg

So to this effect, I will be using some molding paste on the obelisk to cover up the lines between the stones and make it all one smooth surface. We also are looking at ways of making the larger base of it to look like the reference picture, so I'm thinking something 80 mm x 80 mm x 30-32 mm (high), but it'll have to be something that can maintain shape and that we can attach to the base pretty easily and seamlessly.

Thoughts?

• Like 5

(shouts to his wife:honey start the wings ... Ub3R has started his WIP and I need to keep an eye on it!)  A double movie so to speak.. popcorn just won't do for this one..humm maybe a tail gate party!

• Like 4

Who's doing the work on the obelisks?

I would suggest doing some practice carving on a piece of scrap wood or something before you commit to the real thing.

Also, Milliput might be a good choice for your work on the obelisk. It dries rock hard; but it's still easy to carve/sand/sculpt etc.

• Like 2

Ub3r's going to fill in the cracks, I'm going to draw/hand paint the hieroglyphs on it. I'm going to make them look painted on the stone, rather than carved into it. Figured it'd be easier to get a crisper, but small, picture

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 6

Who's doing the work on the obelisks?

I would suggest doing some practice carving on a piece of scrap wood or something before you commit to the real thing.

Also, Milliput might be a good choice for your work on the obelisk. It dries rock hard; but it's still easy to carve/sand/sculpt etc.

I have milliput, will try that out.

What do you think about the small block at the bottom? A solid piece of wood or a couple of pieces of wood glued together?

You'd have to be careful about the wood grain showing through, though. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work, just something to think about.

• Like 1

You'd have to be careful about the wood grain showing through, though. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work, just something to think about.

Could always put plasticard over it, make it smooth and then Siri can paint on the hieroglyphics on all 4 sides.  

• Like 1

that would work.  Or just make sure you seal it with a wood sealer before priming it and you should also be good to go.

• Like 2

Styrofoam, foamcore, a premade wooden basing plinth...

I am sure that there are a dozen more ideas you could use for the bottom of the obelisk but it is early and I am on vacay so yeah...

• Like 1

Obelisks plus entrance?

Going with two status on either side of the obelisk on the opposite side of the room from the Galaxy Portal that the Space Dragon and his friends came out of.

At least that's our current plan, but we can change it if we don't like it at this point since we haven't actually done any work on the diorama yet  :upside:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Evilhalfling
      Is this encounter a matter of survival or planned by the sorceress.  Her story either way seems... fishy. 

First attempt at a large resin Diorama. 
      It needs the resin sides sanded/buffed with a mechanical sander.  By hand the resin just turns cloudy, so ill will leave it this way until I have access to the proper tool.
      a few additional refinements should be done before I enter it into competition 
      - more work on wave/ripple patterns.
      - change color / wetness of raft. 
      -paint base black. 

I am happy with it as a display piece,  I just need to keep the dust off, a the wave surface will be a headache to clean. 

WIP Thread.

• By MoonglowMinis
      The flickering glow of the torchlight illuminates the dusty, hieroglyphic-covered walls of the forgotten tomb.  Moonglow clings to his hat as he carefully scans for signs of the hidden entrance.  A small indentation betrays the location of a door in the stone wall.  Carefully, the adventurer pushes his way through.

The room is barren and dark, except for a single pillar of light shining down upon a small pedestal.  On top sits a small box.

Moonglow carefully crosses the chamber and approaches the box.  He lifts the lid and peers inside.

"Ah, there's my old minis!"

Who's Your Mummy?

Today I felt like sharing some more of my older work that hasn't been posted on the forums yet.  This time it's the Bones mummies that are getting the spotlight.

These mummies were one of my first large painting projects.  It seemed impressive at the time to be working on 8 things simultaneously.  They're a bit dusty from all the drybrushing, but I think they look the part, and I'm a fan of the red-gold color scheme I settled on.

More Photos beneath the spoiler:

These were a fun little set and were perfect adversaries when my players visited the City of Time and sought to stop a Lich's return to power.  After failing once an resetting the clock, they had to fight their way through a mummy-filled temple complete with crawling claws and sand-filling rooms to stop the Mummy Lord from returning to his former Lich status.

What's your favorite mummy encounter?
    • By Shadespyre
      Hello Reaper friends!  You might remember I did a whole tribe of Hill Giants on a display board, with hex bases?

This is my follow up to that, this time: Stone Giants.

Errrm, it all got a bit out of hand, and I'd LOVE some input from you all, please

This is where I'm at after a week and I'm a bit stuck tbh.

I think I need to decide more about what the "finish" will look like before I go a lot further. Once I cover that foam with more than paint it's going to be harder to make changes. I'm thinking of sort of "cladding" it in pieces of slate, with sculpted  bits / groundwork in the gaps?

I'd also love to hear suggestions for other miniatures and features to add to the scene to break up those big open rocky spaces. Current extra bits and bobs are just there for a sense of scale and how extra minis might "interrupt" or "enhance" the scene.

Some next steps though:
      - cork around the hexes on the platforms for the bases to fit into
      - some sort of "door frame"
      - "box in" the sides (which are cut out of a continuing mountainside, in my head at least)

Please, rain your ideas and encouragements upon me!

• By SparrowMarie
      So! I'm back. I haven't finished any of my other WIPs lately but I figure one more won't hurt. 

I'm planning on doing a film noir style desert expedition whereupon our investigators find something not of this world. 

I'm really excited for this one(not that I'm not excited for all my projects) but I have some hurdles to cross. 

I want a wall between the white and grey bones, preferably crumbly looking. Not sure where to start with that.  Figure out the best way to magnetize things. And the really big one: figure out how to actually paint in the style I'm trying to do.   
      This will involve a lot of work and time. As well as some (maybe a lot of) practice minis. 

I'm currently in the mock up stage. I've got the minis I want and I'm trying to stage them how I think will look good as well as imagine the wall where I want it.
      First stages of mock up.

• By Dan S
      Dan's Build Journal #4
      The Ranger's Camp

Finished Project Pics:

My Other Build Journals:

Well its been almost two weeks since I finished my last project, and that itch start a new build has flared up again.   This time I am going to attempt some type of Ranger/Woodsman's Camp, which compared to my last couple of projects should be quite a straight forward and relatively simple build.

Laying the Foundation.
      To build the foundation of this project, I cut out a piece of XPS foam to serve as the base and then used blocks of polystyrene which I'd cut with a hot wire tool to form the very basic shape and contours of the landscape.  I want give to the illusion that the camp is quite secluded and well hidden and so it is going to be set up in a small clearing at the base of a wooded hill.  I'm going to build the hill so that it sweeps around the camp, shielding it from three sides.

During my recent Ruined Keep build, I'd started working on an LED campfire, but got cold feet and ended up abandoning the idea scared that I'd mess up and spoil the project.  This time I am going to go for it.  I removed the outer casing from a cheap flickering LED tealight, cut a small hole in the XPS foam base, and then hot glued the tealight into the hole so that only the LED was protruding above the surface.   I'll come back to this at a later stage.

The next stage was to get nice and messy with some Sculptamold, which I used to reshape the contours of the hill into something a little more organic and natural looking.  I also added several plaster of paris rocks that I had left over from a previous project to add a bit of visual interest.  The rocks were originally created using Woodland Scenic's Rock Moulds.

The Sculptamold is applied quite thickly in places, and so it may need an extra day to fully dry.  In the mean time I have a bunch of accessories to paint up and prepare, including a woodsman's lean-to, a roasting spit and a sitting log which I will likely start work on over the weekend.

• Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)