Disputing Charges: KS's Gone Bad

Marvin

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curiosity got the better of me and I did some googling.

This is from Amazon Payment's merchant agreement:

Chargebacks

A chargeback occurs when a cardholder contacts their bank to dispute the charge for an order placed on Amazon.com. Chargebacks are also known as "charge disputes" and they can be filed for a variety of reasons, including unauthorized use of the credit card.

As outlined in our agreement with you:

• You are responsible for chargebacks filed for service-related reasons, such as non-receipt of the item, against your account.
  • Amazon Payments is responsible for any payment-related fraud chargebacks, such as stolen credit cards or other payment fraud attempts.

Responding to a chargeback claim

When a buyer contacts their credit card company to request a chargeback, the credit card company will contact Amazon.com to request details about the transaction. In turn, Amazon Payments will contact you via an email notification to request transaction information.

You can respond to a chargeback notification in one of two ways:

• By issuing a refund immediately.
  • By representing your case to the credit card company via Amazon.

Note: You must respond to any chargeback notification within 7 calendar days of the email notification date. If you do not respond to our notification, you may be debited for the transaction. You will also need to reply to any additional requests for information within the time-frame stated in the request.

They also have their own Buyer Dispute Program (In theory you could contact Amazon instead of your credit card company to initiate a refund).  A couple sections that seem relevant: 

What If I Pay with a Credit Card?

If you use a credit card through Amazon Payments, you have the right to dispute any charge with your issuing bank. Your ability to reverse a charge will depend on your bank's policies and the type of dispute.

You may make a complaint under the Amazon Payments Buyer Dispute Program or dispute the charge through your issuing bank, but not both at the same time. If you elect to dispute the charge with your bank after you submit a complaint to us and we receive a chargeback or other reversal of payment, we will cancel your complaint and you must rely solely on your dispute rights with your bank.

If you cancel your Amazon Payments complaint, if it is denied, or you are otherwise unable to obtain a refund, you may still have the ability to pursue your dispute rights with your bank.

Amazon Payments may contest credit card chargebacks in accordance with the rules of the applicable credit card association or issuer.

Can My Access to My Amazon Payments Account Be Restricted?

In addition to the access limitations described in the Amazon Payments User Agreement, we may restrict or terminate the account access privileges of customers who abuse the Buyer Dispute Program or chargeback rights with their credit card issuer, including:

• Using the Amazon Payments Buyer Dispute Program to obtain a refund for items or services which were not returned, obtaining two refunds for the same transaction, or filing three or more complaints that are subsequently ruled invalid by Amazon Payments,

OR

• Using the credit card chargeback process to obtain a refund for items or services which were not returned, obtaining two refunds for the same transaction, or filing three or more chargebacks in a 12-month period that are ruled invalid by the credit card association or issuer.

•  
Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 2

Sorry for the thread necro but I'm in a position where 3 kickstarters, costing me in excess of $440 combined are all past the dates they claimed they would deliver by. 2 of them have major communication issues and the third is simply skirting around the question of actual deliveries.

I have informed all 3 of them that I desire a refund along with notice that I will seek a chargeback if I don't hear back in a reasonable amount of time.

I would like to know if anyone has experiences since the last posting with recouping losses. I don't think all of these were through Amazon payments, but I also am unsure of how to check.

Sorry for the thread necro but I'm in a position where 3 kickstarters, costing me in excess of $440 combined are all past the dates they claimed they would deliver by. 2 of them have major communication issues and the third is simply skirting around the question of actual deliveries. I have informed all 3 of them that I desire a refund along with notice that I will seek a chargeback if I don't hear back in a reasonable amount of time. I would like to know if anyone has experiences since the last posting with recouping losses. I don't think all of these were through Amazon payments, but I also am unsure of how to check.

Just make sure to keep all documentation pertaining to your communications with them. If you don't hear back from any of them, contact your credit card company/bank and dispute the charge on the grounds that they didn't deliver your product. They will ask you to keep this documentation (and ask if you've tried to resolve the issue yourself with the company) as they look into the matter, issue an immediate refund (normally), put the dispute in process with a month or two deadline to hear back from the company(ies) involved. If they can't prove that they have delivered the project you will keep your money.