Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Five Moons RPG - Sean K. Reynolds

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seankreynolds/five-moons-rpg-by-sean-k-reynolds

A new Fantasy RPG by Sean K. Reynolds, former designer for both WotC (2nd and 3rd Ed) and Paizo (Pathfinder).

He's got a hugely informative Blog about his thought processes and design goals.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag Updated

I really like his design goals, though I'm not sure how well he'll be able to deliver on them.  I do think that there's a lower-than-normal risk of project failure though.  I'm going to throw some money at this, once I figure out the mess of pledge levels he has.

I really like his design goals, though I'm not sure how well he'll be able to deliver on them. 

as in "I'm not sure how he will deliver (the rewards promised)?" or "I'm not sure how he will deliver (on the types of gameplay and mechanics he has promised)?"

"I'm not sure how he will deliver (on the types of gameplay and mechanics he has promised)?"

He's identified several classes of problems that I perceive with D&D/PFRPG, but they are not easy problems to solve.  D&D 4e and 5e have both attempted recently to "fix" D&D, and SKR is attempting more-or-less the same thing.  I will need to sit down and read his blog to get a better sense for how he attempts to accomplish this, as the 4e "design by committee" approach failed, and 5e is still an open question.

"I'm not sure how he will deliver (on the types of gameplay and mechanics he has promised)?"

He's identified several classes of problems that I perceive with D&D/PFRPG, but they are not easy problems to solve.  D&D 4e and 5e have both attempted recently to "fix" D&D, and SKR is attempting more-or-less the same thing.  I will need to sit down and read his blog to get a better sense for how he attempts to accomplish this, as the 4e "design by committee" approach failed, and 5e is still an open question.

I've been following his blog for a while, and I like his chosen solutions.  YMMV

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darcstaar
      Brought some painting models for vacation.  Finished the Hell Hound last night, didn’t WIP it.

Had Yephima on my shelf of shame for a long time.  If it ends up 1/100 as good as the studio version I’ll be happy.  Plan on light blue skin and silvery hair, like the Bestiaries suggest.  Other than that, not sure...

Here she is primed with Brown Liner.  That’s gonna take some work to get the skin tones brighter.
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yetlblack/corvus-corax-miniatures-sons-of-yetl-black
      Story
      Corvus Corax Miniatures is a small hobby project created in 2013. Since then, four projects have successfully funded on Kickstarter and all have been fully delivered on time without any delays. The feedback from the backers have only been positive!
      The goal of this project is to raise funds for the production a total of four (4) miniatures for the Sons of Yetl Black. The miniatures will be cast in high quality, non-toxic resin. The scale of the miniatures is 35mm (measuring to the eyes in a standing, straight pose, although some characters may be slightly larger because they are supposed to be large characters).
      Strendu Bodaway Pachoa Niyol  (Actual copies of the resin miniatures. Note that the resin miniatures below are not 100% in scale with each other, but resized for editing purposes.)
        Grefven always makes lovely things and is a reliable KS creator
    • By Darcstaar
      Gonna start another WIP.
      This figure is bent, her hair is weird, and her features are MICROSCOPIC!

So, I’m gonna kind of rush her.

Trimmed, washed, primed in brown liner.  No attempt to straighten her bend.  The sword forms an S shape.

Face was Terran Khaki, Faded Khaki, Amber Gold, then Splintered Bone mixed in.  Then I did a half-assed lining and shading with a dilute mix of Dragon Black/Ruddy Flesh.  Eyes were then done with Splintered Bone/Dragon White, and a Dragon Black/trace Ruddy Flesh dot.

Had some nearly dry ?Red on the palette I slapped on her lower lip, then glinted it with the lightest mixed skin tone.

The hair seems like it’s supposed to be actively blown by wind.  It was painted Dragon Black, Cloudy Grey, and Cloudy Grey/Dragon White.  I then Re shaded and altered things with black again.  Honestly, her head could be Kitsune or Cosplay Cat ears, or a crown.  But there is hair texture, so I painted it like black hair. 

Planning for blue dragon head since I’m due to paint another 1/5 of my Kobolds, and blue is in line.

Plan on a red/orange cloak for contrast with the dragon.

Earth Brown leggings.  Woodstain Brown boot leather, belt, gauntlets.
    • By Darcstaar
      Hi people.
      Im going to start another PBP.  So far I have interest from @ShadowRaven, @dwarvenranger, @Dilvish the Deliverer, and @Kangaroorex.

We’re going to start the Serpent’s Skull adventure path.  Pathfinder 1e.

All books are in play, but I reserve the right to veto something if it seems too gross/bloated.

Please utilize the Serpent’s Skull Players Guide from the Paizo website.

Abilities: 4d6, reroll all 1’s, drop lowest score, yielding ranges from 2-18 pre mods.

Avg. Starting gold.

We’ll follow the AP leveling track when possible.

We’ll have individual initiative.

I hope to get this started soon, so please post those characters.

-edits-
      House Rules
      1. HP beyond first level.  Roll the hit die.  If the roll is less than”avg” then take avg instead.  Example: Wizard d6.  Rolls a 1.  Gets 4hp instead, before Con mod.
      2. Acrobatics can be used to avoid AOO when standing from prone.
      3. If someone is not responding and action is waiting for them, I’ll send a pm after 24 hours.  If no response 24 hours later, I’ll take over that character to get action rolling again.
    • By Darcstaar
      Part 1 of the Serpent’s Skull Adventure Path.  By James Jacobs, (c) 2010.
      Paizo Publishing.

Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 1 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)