Dwarven Forge dungeon tiles

kyaakone

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mentioned thinking about a different color set after the fact.  What color(s) were you thinking about?  Happen to have any pics of the stone gray / dry bone ?  To confirm, that's

Stone Grey (9086)

bone...?

Bone Shadow (9058)

Aged Bone (9059)

Polished Bone (9060)

Since hobby paints are kinda pricey, I go a bit cheaper for terrain.

Game tiles and other big terrain projects get mistinted house paint from a hardware store. Depending on the store you can get it really cheap. $1-$2 for a pint, $5-$7 for a gallon. Or you can buy a retail can and they'll do their damnedest to match the colour sample you bringing in.

Just test the paint on a tile underside and let it dry completely since some paints react with Gametiles' chemical make up.

One might want to paint in the garage or outside with these though since housepaints are a little fumey.

Here's what I ended up with.

In talking with friends, I realized that the more ancient the culture, the more likely they were to have used stones in their buildings that were not gray - gray was a thing in medieval Europe, but brown stones and white stones are the norm in egypt, rome, greece, and other ancient civilizations.  Some of this was the stones of the area - and we wondered, as amateurs often do, about whether the other gray stones were harder to work, and so early peoples might have gravitated towards brown instead.

IDK really, but given that the tiles start dark brown, I now kind of which I had gone for a medium brown followed by a tan for a highlight, making more of an Indianda Jones temple feel, with the earth tones and brown earth than the cold gray stone I ended up with.

I'm not going to redo it, but it is making me think about how to paint my caverns in 2 months.

image.jpg

ReaperBryan,

A technical note on the forum software: I was going to post a reply asking if you had brush-painted or sprayed the base coat, but when I quoted your post I saw a couple of paragraphs on the color of ancient building stones. I scrolled back up and all I saw besides the attached thumbnail was:

I tried looking on the post on my Windows laptop instead of my iPad, and sure enough it was all there.

There must be something about attached thumbnail images that breaks formatting of forum posts in the Safari browser for iOS 8.

ReaperBryan,

A technical note on the forum software: I was going to post a reply asking if you had brush-painted or sprayed the base coat, but when I quoted your post I saw a couple of paragraphs on the color of ancient building stones. I scrolled back up and all I saw besides the attached thumbnail was:

I tried looking on the post on my Windows laptop instead of my iPad, and sure enough it was all there.

There must be something about attached thumbnail images that breaks formatting of forum posts in the Safari browser for iOS 8.

As far as the text, I added the photo on my phone, then typed the other text, then used my mod powers to merge the posts.

You would have been looking at the first post before I merged it with my later comments.

But yes, Attached images do not display in-line in quotes the way that images added via the "image button" that most users use.

for my groups set, I picked up a coupe of martha stewart craft paints from walmart (they where on sale) a grey-green colour, a tan colour, and a dark grey, then I taught the rest of the gaming group how to drybrush. By mixing the colours, and layering one over the other it gave a fairly natural and realistic stone look to the tiles. Alas, I have no pictures to show.

I've settled on using HD dirty grey (29835) for a first coat and then stained ivory (09142).  I'm happy with the results.

I also used spattered crimson (09277) on a few tiles to create a couple blood splattered walls/floors.

I'll probably experiment with something a little more brown in the future, too.

Happy painting, everyone!

As I mentioned, I tried a more brownish toned solution just to experiment.  After some different tries, I found I liked this combination:

first drybrush - 29829 golden brown
second drybrush - 29826 desert tan
third drybrush - 29825 tusk ivory

However, in the end, I prefer the grey-tone solution above.

I went in on a few too many sets on the first go-round. Reaper paints are my favorites, but I went with Delta Ceramcoat for all these things. I based with Hippo Grey and highlighted with Rain Grey.

I'll be going with a more tan based color scheme for the caverns, as that looks to match what I've seen in the few caverns I've visited in the mid-west US, and the Caribbean.

Edited by RouterMike