Sign in to follow this  
Teskal

Mars Attacks Crashed Saucer Dome & Truck

In a few weeks many Mars Attacks backers will get the crashed Saucer.

Big problem! The dome is not not clear plastic, so the inside is not visible. I'm and many others are not really good at painting freehand.

So how to paint it? I do not want to paint it in any color, it should be clear.

Interesting ideas from the Kickstarter comments:

1. Wulf: "Do the crashed saucer dome in white with crackle glaze, it'll look like shattered perspex."

2. Undave: "You could always paint the crashed saucer dome to look like exploded Martian and then give it a heavy gloss varnish."

3. Another idea would be to combine method one and two.

4. My first idea was to get somehow Mantic to sell only a clear saucer dome, remove the unclear dome from the crashed saucer, put a black cotton wool in the clear dome to simulate smoke in it and glue it on the saucer and let some smoke coming out of the saucer (Ok, the clear dome must have the same size for this method!)

5. Another idea would be to remove the dome and try to put only smoke cloud on the saucer.

I hope that someone could help with

- ideas how to do it,

- provide pictures of painted versions here of the painted dome

- or even better give also a tutorial how to to it.

b263f9e19a1abfb206ac37a6f5e68a29_large.j

3c14e91180f1f8016e45d408c788f517_large.j

b80b79f5ff2cfd202c6ec5a42e3bb3c2_large.j

Truck-Windows

As Darsc Zacal mentioned, with the trucks we have the same problems with the windows!

About the trucks I got a cool advise from SKRHH in the comments from Brückenkopf-Online.

Don't paint the windows, put selfmade armor plates on them. With small observation slits. For the weldseam, you could use a small hot glue gun.

It is not so hard to do it.

Example:

pnp8swu2.jpg

(I got this picture from this site.)

Edited by Teskal
  • Like 1

That's an interesting point you have there Teskal. The trucks in the kickstarter also have solid windows. I've seen painted examples of them with blue windows. You could try something similar for the saucer.

photo_zps3995cfdf.jpg

If I recall correctly, the crashed saucer is a solid piece of resin, so the removal or replacement of the dome isn't going to be possible.

That's an interesting point you have there Teskal. The trucks in the kickstarter also have solid windows. I've seen painted examples of them with blue windows. You could try something similar for the saucer.

photo_zps3995cfdf.jpg

If I recall correctly, the crashed saucer is a solid piece of resin, so the removal or replacement of the dome isn't going to be possible.

About the trucks I got a cool advise from SKRHH in the comments from Brückenkopf-Online.

Don't paint the windows, put selfmade armor plates on them. With small observation slits. For the weldseam, you could use a small hot glue gun.

It is not so hard to do it.

Paint them gold, like space masks, to protect from UV radiation? Like so:

275026main_evva_226x170.jpg

Still the problem that the domes are normally clear and not metallic gold.

Dark grey and black with gloss finish? Make it look like soot from a fire in the cockpit.

I'm not sure if only painting it dark grey will be enough, but I hope to see someone who tried it.

Edited by Teskal

Even today you can get windows that go from transparent to opaque at the flip of a switch.

I'm sure Martians would have that technology too by the time they're ready to invade us. :;):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_glass

Once the saucer crashed, the dome obviously lost its power source and became opaque. Simple.

Problem solved and believability restored. ::D:

I like the black/grey burned on the inside idea but I might add some dirt and scratches from the crash on it as well.  If you wanted to get really involved you could use a dremel to create an opening then sculpt the wreckage inside but that would be pretty involved.

Edited by maxstyles

Why not cut the existing dome off and replace it with a clear one thermoformed from plastic?  All you'd have to do is obtain some plastic sheet, put it in a cheap wood frame, heat it in the oven until the plastic starts to sag, drop in onto a form of the shape you need, and then let it cool.  If you were careful enough in removing the original dome, you could use it as your form - it it'd be a guaranteed fit.  I've used the "heat and smash" method countless times in scale modelling for aircraft canopies, gun blisters, etc.  A clear blister would allow you all kinds of opportunity to exercise your scratch building skills doing up a custom interior.

The Egg

Not having seen the crashed UFO in person yet, I can't say for sure, but I don't think it's going to be that easy to cut the dome off.

Especially if it's solid resin. Things could get messy.

That's an interesting point you have there Teskal. The trucks in the kickstarter also have solid windows. I've seen painted examples of them with blue windows. You could try something similar for the saucer.photo_zps3995cfdf.jpg

Hey, that transparent saucer dome and the bubble helmets are Photoshopped in!

Are there any transparent parts on the actual models?

• Like 1

Hey, that transparent saucer dome and the bubble helmets are Photoshopped in!

Are there any transparent parts on the actual models?

I hadn't noticed that. But yes, there will be separate transparent plastic domes for the Martians, the UFO, and the Big Stompy Robot.

• Like 1