Do adventurers always die at a doorway?

Werkrobotwerk

I just got home from a D&D game and I've noticed something a bit odd. Party members never seem to die unless they are right at a doorway. we've managed to lose three in the last two sessions, One rogue was instakilled by a door flying through him at high velocity, a psionic, and a bard were mauled to death by displace beasts who sprung through a door.

Has anyone else had problems with malevolent doors?

• Like 6

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weirdly enough, I've seen the old "walls closing in" trick used dozens of times, including variants with spikes, hydraulics, and a zillion other things.

Every single time, the players have beaten it. There's always a way. 

But never seen a killer doorway. Except a few in the Tomb of Horrors. But that place is a hot mess.... and I never actually saw anyone actually trigger that one that causes instant death. Everyone always learned their lesson from the one that spits you out naked elsewhere in the dungeon, and teleports all your stuff to the treasure room....

• Like 7

My character during the playtest for 5e always opened doors first, since he was the only fighter and the "tank".  I once opened a door and was met by 5 spears and a ghoul's two attacks.  I took 42 points of damage when I only had 40 hp in the first round.  Went down and was then healed, and brought down immediately after that again.  So I was incapacitated at the door twice.  Later, in a different dungeon, the DM tells us that we have 3 doors to choose.  One was ornately decorated so we immediately chose that one. Everyone filed in behind me and i opened the door.  Well the door was trapped of course, and we all had to roll Charisma saves (all of our character's dump stats) to be able to break free from a dark miasma that came from the door.  It petrified us and did very slow damage.  It took us so many rounds for one of us to break free that we all almost died.  My wife breaks free first and she immediately steps back and fires an arrow into the darkness (yes....she attacked the darkness) doing absolutely nothing.  She spent another round trying to figure out how to break us free, when one of the other players makes his save and with a frustrated yell says, "I CLOSE THE DOOR".  At which point, everyone just looks at my wife with a horrified look on our faces as simply closing the door stopped the trap.  We had to use all of our hit dice to get us back to full health and we all decided to never open that door again...

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 5

My character during the playtest for 5e always opened doors first, since he was the only fighter and the "tank".  I once opened a door and was met by 5 spears and a ghoul's two attacks.  I took 42 points of damage when I only had 40 hp in the first round.  Went down and was then healed, and brought down immediately after that again.  So I was incapacitated at the door twice.  Later, in a different dungeon, the DM tells us that we have 3 doors to choose.  One was ornately decorated so we immediately chose that one. Everyone filed in behind me and i opened the door.  Well the door was trapped of course, and we all had to roll Charisma saves (all of our character's dump stats) to be able to break free from a dark miasma that came from the door.  It petrified us and did very slow damage.  It took us so many rounds for one of us to break free that we all almost died.  My wife breaks free first and she immediately steps back and fires an arrow into the darkness (yes....she attacked the darkness) doing absolutely nothing.  She spent another round trying to figure out how to break us free, when one of the other players makes his save and with a frustrated yell says, "I CLOSE THE DOOR".  At which point, everyone just looks at my wife with a horrified look on our faces as simply closing the door stopped the trap.  We had to use all of our hit dice to get us back to full health and we all decided to never open that door again...

I would have written a plaque on the side of the door.  "Free Ale and Wenches Inside!"  :devil:

• Like 4