Jasonator

It Ain't a Froggy ! Its Queen Guinevere

Has been an Extremely busy weekend.

Got up this morning, then cleaned and primed Queen Guinevere from Thunderbolt Mtn.

Spent a lot of time with files, and x-acto knife.

So after all the Frogs, I will be taking my time on a 25mm sculpt.

So, The adventure Begins.

post-12655-0-80635000-1411927964_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Looking forward to another journey with you.   As I am back to work next week I am hoping you go slow enough for me to keep up... or at least post enough pics so I can see it all.

• Like 2

Looking forward to another journey with you.   As I am back to work next week I am hoping you go slow enough for me to keep up... or at least post enough pics so I can see it all.

Thanks robinh;

I am slowing down on the painting, I will probably only post once a day. 

I have a busy schedule suddenly !

I'm going to try and see if following this helps me keep up.  She's beautiful!  ^_^

I'm taking my time now, and I think you will have NO problem reading what I am doing.

This sculpt is really fastidious, and all the little subtle pieces will cause me to slow WAY down.

cant wait to see this one

Thanks for coming along for the ride.  I have NO IDEA where this one will go.  Fork Ahead !!!!

Add me to the list of excited to see what you do with her. The sculpt is beautiful and full of little details. I am certain she will look great when you paint her. Have you thought about what colors you may use?

• Like 2

Huzzah! Another masterpiece by Jay has begun! Are you going to incorporate a frog somewhere in/on this model?

• Like 1

Add me to the list of excited to see what you do with her. The sculpt is beautiful and full of little details. I am certain she will look great when you paint her. Have you thought about what colors you may use?

I am thinking of Blue, Pink /Purple and silver, with flowers.. How that will work out, I am clue less.

Horse will be black and brown.  That billowing Gown is saying all types of things.

I need to get a gazillion darks in those folds to figure out what I will be doing.

No Darks, No Lights. !!!

Huzzah! Another masterpiece by Jay has begun! Are you going to incorporate a frog somewhere in/on this model?

No Frog in this one.  She's a queen already, if she were a princess we might have gotten a frog in there :)

Oh, and I'm not rushing this one.. I'll probably do one post a day.

I am exhausted after officiating this weekend.

ROFL.

• Like 2

Excited to see your next project here Jay! *grabs some popcorn and takes a comfortable seat for the upcoming show* Everyone mind turning off their cell phones please?  :rock:

• Like 1

Excited to see your next project here Jay! *grabs some popcorn and takes a comfortable seat for the upcoming show* Everyone mind turning off their cell phones please?  :rock:

Were you at yesterday's ceremony ???  ROFL.

I quoted Dom Perignon.. "When Dom Perignon discovered Champagne, he went to the wine cellar door , and Yelled upstairs...Brothers' Come Quickly, I'M DRINKING STARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

That was the preamble to the Bride and Groom's Toast.

:)

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

Were you at yesterday's ceremony ???  ROFL.

I quoted Dom Perignon.. "When Dom Perignon discovered Champagne, he went to the wine cellar door , and Yelled upstairs...Brothers' Come Quickly, I'M DRINKING STARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

That was the preamble to the Bride and Groom's Toast.

:)

I'm not on that much on the weekends unless I'm at my paint desk like now.

• Like 1

Got the chance to work on Guinevere a while ago.

I have discovered that when I work on the 25 mm miniatures I need

to really get serious with the brown liner.  Get it into every nook and cranny you can

find.  Make sure it is wet enough to get in it, but DON'T fill it up with paint,

You don't want to loose detail before you even start painting it.

Once that wash is in there, then look over the Miniature, and note the finer details,

that you may NOT have noticed earlier.  This is the part that I really enjoy on Meier sculpts.

You find out where he hid little details (like on the crown that Guinevere is wearing).  Lost in

the hair, but it is there. I have to make sure I pop that out when I paint her.

So here is the messy looking Guinevere, fresh from her brown liner wash.

post-12655-0-30479600-1412008534_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-15194800-1412008543.jpg

post-12655-0-80399500-1412008551.jpg

• Like 8

Took some further photos of Guinevere after I got some painting in this morning.

Here is a rare thing for me, I actually found a "fault" with this Tom Meier Miniature.

"It's historically incorrect".. Guinevere should be riding "side-saddle" not astride a horse.

It was considered immodest at the best, and not lady like to ride in such a fashion for a woman.

The sidesaddle was invented in ancient history (shows on greek vases, and roman works).

So that said I originally started out with a pink gown, and then switched to sapphire blue since

it will work and look better.  I've painted in the flesh tones, and the embroidered bands will be a contrasting color.

Lots of gold filigree on this figure.  Have no idea as to what I am going to do with all those fringes and horse cloths.

Oh, and she has blue eyes..(don't ask how I got in there, I'm not too sure yet myself..

25mm is a bit small to mess with eyes (oh.. and the horse has walnut color eyes also).

Here is Guinevere:

post-12655-0-68830400-1412081497_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-57612900-1412081510_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-10732300-1412081527_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I've been working on the horse.

I wanted to do a chestnut, and black horse, and I don't think I have ever been so frustrated with browns in my life.

I spent three hours messing with browns, and yellows, trying to get the color I wanted.

It DIDN'T happen !!

I finally swapped out the palette and did something different.

I am NOT happy with the quality of yellows, oranges, and browns as far a paints go.

The tendency to go chalky really torques me off.

I need to get some more brush on  sealer to combat that chalky outbreak.

I think I mix my colors up enough by shaking them.... maybe I'll try to spend two minutes shaking them.

That aspect is getting very annoying !