ShadowRaven

Grave digger, ranger, cat and minotaur. Now with new pictures.

Nice group of figures here Tim. Good job!

As far as critiques go:

1) Grave Digger - OSL is a bit strong, it needs to be brighter closer and dimmer further, it looks pretty similar throughout the OSL, so you need to tone it down using darker colored glazes over it further away and even close up near his chest will be less bright compared to the actual flame in the lantern part. 

2) Ranger - Looks good, could benefit from a few more higher highlights and deeper shadows.

3) Cat - I like him a lot, though a quick lighter dry-brush would help him a little bit.

4) Minotaur - Again, more highlights and shadows, a couple of touch-ups, it looks like a little paint got on the blade of his left hand.

A couple of comments on the photo issues:

• Looks like you've got one dominant light on the front left, which is casting harsh shadows.  You need a roughly equivalent light on the other side, or if you can't swing that, have you tried a white bounce card instead? 
  • I think you've got your backdrop too close to the figure: pull it back a bit.
  • Like 1

as to the highlights, yeah. They seem to have been lost in the photo, they are there, some of my best in fact, but the sun seems to have bled them out. 

Yeah, a white bounce card might have helped a lot. This was, of course, taken out doors, as no matter what I have tried, I have never been able to get an indoor phot set up that takes pictures worth a darn.

Yeah, a white bounce card might have helped a lot. This was, of course, taken out doors, as no matter what I have tried, I have never been able to get an indoor phot set up that takes pictures worth a darn.

The sun is going to be hard to deal with.  You might have better luck outside on slightly overcast days since the light will be more diffused.

For indoor, have you seen Doug's thread in the Shutterbug forum?  I posted a picture of my setup, and it's not complicated.  Two pieces of white cardstock, a backdrop, and two cheapy lamps.

• Like 2

Nice work; you are definitely improving with each new figure!  I especially like the elf ranger!

I use a very similar setup to Slashhamster for my photography with good results, but I also put a piece of stark white plastic in the photo that I crop out of the pic later.  This helps my camera decide on the proper white balance.  After that, it's off to GIMP I go to crop and tweak the global levels setting as detailed here.

• Like 1

Thanks. Yeah, the change in photo set up helped a whole bunch. A shame none of the pics I took with it where in focus. And of course I chipped a chunk off the cloak of the ranger, so he needs a touch up....sigh. I have to keep reminding myself how much I enjoy painting, because when i think about it, it just seems like a hassle.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the photo set up help. Here's a couple new pictures.

I kinda goofed on the cloak, but when I next work with dark elf flesh, I will do a glaze and smarten that one highlight up a fair bit. Otherwise, yeah, I am done with this guy.

post-8132-0-34958200-1412477155.jpg

post-8132-0-43270000-1412477220.jpg

The cat, nothing changed, but much nicer picture.

post-8132-0-81519300-1412477258_thumb.jpg

and the grave digger. I hope you can see the gradient on light reflection better. My OSL has a long ways to go yet, but it's a start.

post-8132-0-59255600-1412477325.jpg

post-8132-0-90008800-1412477347.jpg

Now that you can, hopefully, see theses guys better, please don't hold back on critiques. I've got a long way to go, and what I get in feedback helps me get better.

• Like 8