Last minute tips before new campaign (5e)

Shogun

I'm kicking off my 5e game tomorrow night *joy!* set in my own home brew world.

Starting in a city tavern (city is based on attack on Titan city) and then leading into the first "dungeon" of the lost minis of phandelver. I've asked them nicely for the first couple of session if they could bite my adventure hooks and once we have a firm grasp on the rules it will be a free for all in the city (and beyond)

I've got a bunch of stuff prepped like 5 different weapon brands and a few things like that. Is there any last minute tips you would recommend me prepping or anything? I have run 3 campaigns (all 4e) and I'm pretty good off the cuff but I want this one to truly be something special (as I like the system a lot and want my players to be *wowed*)

• Like 5

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kicking off my 5e game tomorrow night *joy!* set in my own home brew world.

Starting in a city tavern (city is based on attack on Titan city) and then leading into the first "dungeon" of the lost minis of phandelver. I've asked them nicely for the first couple of session if they could bite my adventure hooks and once we have a firm grasp on the rules it will be a free for all in the city (and beyond)

I've got a bunch of stuff prepped like 5 different weapon brands and a few things like that. Is there any last minute tips you would recommend me prepping or anything? I have run 3 campaigns (all 4e) and I'm pretty good off the cuff but I want this one to truly be something special (as I like the system a lot and want my players to be *wowed*)

5e is designed to be less structured than recent versions, that's why there are so few hard rules.

My number one tip is to say yes whenever they players ask "can I try X?".

If there isn't a rule for X, it's probably an ability check of some sort.

Also, I love the freudian typo; very Ã  propos.  ::D:

• Like 4

My best advice, when confronted with a choice, is to realize you can do one of 4 things.

The Obvious thing.

The Unexpected thing.

The Entertaining thing.

The Unusual Thing.

If you can combine any of the latter 3 - am Entertaining, Unexpected answer, or example, is *always* better than the expected/obvious thing.

Give them the Obvious thing sometimes, just to make them feel smart, though.

My best advice, when confronted with a choice, is to realize you can do one of 4 things.

The Obvious thing.

The Unexpected thing.

The Entertaining thing.

The Unusual Thing.

If you can combine any of the latter 3 - am Entertaining, Unexpected answer, or example, is *always* better than the expected/obvious thing.

Also:

Don't say "no." Say, "yes, but..." Let their ideas help influence the game. (Believe me, it reduces your workload considerably.)

• Like 5

The Obvious thing.

The Unexpected thing.

The Entertaining thing.

The Unusual Thing.

Also:

Don't say "no." Say, "yes, but..." Let their ideas help influence the game. (Believe me, it reduces your workload considerably.)

Yes!! Most certainly what Dsmiles just said.

• Like 1

Yes yes and yes but...! The Obvious thing, The Unexpected thing, The Entertaining thing, The Unusual Thing.. has got me thinking great advice.

lol @ the typo! woops., I also plan to warn my players that this game at early levels is deadly and try to play smart. We really enjoy the role play side of it any tips on how to encourage that more? i'm pretty confident that this will go smoothly and will be super fun just tryna think of anything that can add a little more to it or something? I have a few pics of the city etc on the ipad which ill show them. The first txt block I read is about the city and then will say that they know it well so asking questions you might already know the answers just to get a real good feel for it etc

thanks on the comments

• Like 2