Sign in to follow this  
Shogun

Last minute tips before new campaign (5e)

I'm kicking off my 5e game tomorrow night *joy!* set in my own home brew world.

Starting in a city tavern (city is based on attack on Titan city) and then leading into the first "dungeon" of the lost minis of phandelver. I've asked them nicely for the first couple of session if they could bite my adventure hooks and once we have a firm grasp on the rules it will be a free for all in the city (and beyond)

I've got a bunch of stuff prepped like 5 different weapon brands and a few things like that. Is there any last minute tips you would recommend me prepping or anything? I have run 3 campaigns (all 4e) and I'm pretty good off the cuff but I want this one to truly be something special (as I like the system a lot and want my players to be *wowed*)

• Like 5

I'm kicking off my 5e game tomorrow night *joy!* set in my own home brew world.

Starting in a city tavern (city is based on attack on Titan city) and then leading into the first "dungeon" of the lost minis of phandelver. I've asked them nicely for the first couple of session if they could bite my adventure hooks and once we have a firm grasp on the rules it will be a free for all in the city (and beyond)

I've got a bunch of stuff prepped like 5 different weapon brands and a few things like that. Is there any last minute tips you would recommend me prepping or anything? I have run 3 campaigns (all 4e) and I'm pretty good off the cuff but I want this one to truly be something special (as I like the system a lot and want my players to be *wowed*)

5e is designed to be less structured than recent versions, that's why there are so few hard rules.

My number one tip is to say yes whenever they players ask "can I try X?".

If there isn't a rule for X, it's probably an ability check of some sort.

Also, I love the freudian typo; very Ã  propos.  ::D:

• Like 4

Good thread! I'm about to start off a new 5E campaign as well. Though we play in 6-hour sessions so I'll probably be doing a more in-depth adventure than the mines. Will be following along on this thread too.

• Like 1

My best advice, when confronted with a choice, is to realize you can do one of 4 things.

The Obvious thing.

The Unexpected thing.

The Entertaining thing.

The Unusual Thing.

If you can combine any of the latter 3 - am Entertaining, Unexpected answer, or example, is *always* better than the expected/obvious thing.

Give them the Obvious thing sometimes, just to make them feel smart, though.

My best advice, when confronted with a choice, is to realize you can do one of 4 things.

The Obvious thing.

The Unexpected thing.

The Entertaining thing.

The Unusual Thing.

If you can combine any of the latter 3 - am Entertaining, Unexpected answer, or example, is *always* better than the expected/obvious thing.

Also:

Don't say "no." Say, "yes, but..." Let their ideas help influence the game. (Believe me, it reduces your workload considerably.)

• Like 5

The Obvious thing.

The Unexpected thing.

The Entertaining thing.

The Unusual Thing.

Also:

Don't say "no." Say, "yes, but..." Let their ideas help influence the game. (Believe me, it reduces your workload considerably.)

Yes!! Most certainly what Dsmiles just said.

• Like 1

Yes yes and yes but...! The Obvious thing, The Unexpected thing, The Entertaining thing, The Unusual Thing.. has got me thinking great advice.

lol @ the typo! woops., I also plan to warn my players that this game at early levels is deadly and try to play smart. We really enjoy the role play side of it any tips on how to encourage that more? i'm pretty confident that this will go smoothly and will be super fun just tryna think of anything that can add a little more to it or something? I have a few pics of the city etc on the ipad which ill show them. The first txt block I read is about the city and then will say that they know it well so asking questions you might already know the answers just to get a real good feel for it etc

thanks on the comments

• Like 2

will print that last one out, i do like how the back of one of the books has the conditions on it as well. Read Dog soldiers recommended 10 tips, awesome stuff just prepped 10 npcs & 5 random encounters.

• Like 1

Oh, also remember that a lot of things have been rolled into your background. So, no more profession: fur trader checks; you simply are (or were) a fur trader. Backgrounds can cover quite a lot so be familiar with the ones your players choose.

For those who like quick visual summaries rather than full blown screens: http://walkingmind.evilhat.com/2014/10/01/part-of-my-non-screen/

I saw this thread, was like, ooh must link Rob's DM notascreen insert. Glad to see I don't have to.

That might be the single most useful piece of 5e DM equipment I've seen yet.

• Like 2