Just herd about NMM

Xymor

Hi I had never herd of NMM til I joind this board a few day's ago.

So what I want to know is how do you do it and what are it's benefits over using metalic paints?

I learned how to paint mini's from reapers learn to paint sets and alot of theis advanced techniques were not covered in them. So any Info wound be welcome.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest advantage of NMM is its ability to photograph well in a digital milieu. It is sort of "advancing to the rear", as this techinque was in use throughout history prior to the advent of modern metallic paints. Can you tell I am not a fan of the technique? <_<

It DOES allow for greater control in directional lighting on minis, which can be desirable in some cases. It also serves well in painting styles that feature very stylized paint work with extreme contrasts in shadows and highlights, but for painters like myself who prefer a more subdued, "naturalistic" look, it doesn't fit into my scheme of things.

This in no way detracts from people who like and use the technique well, it is merely a philosophical distinction.

I agree. NMM is a far stylized technique, which can be infuriating at times, requires a lot of patience and time to get done right. I would say it is a direct offspring from advanced gradient techniques, achieved by either wet blending or layering.

Still, it is the way I have been doing thing lately. Sometimes works, sometimes is a bit off, but since I paint for myself, I can afford to spend as much time as I want on a single mini.

I think I remember Anne saying something about there being a couple more 'learn to paint' kits coming out with the new Master's series of Reaper paints, and one of those is supposed to cover NMM.

I could have just dreamed it, though.

:wacko:

No Flynn, I think it was not a dream.

NMM allows the painter to have complete control of the light source and all of the reflections that would occur off of metal. Metallic paints reflect light and the painter loses some control. It is very similar to how metals are done in comic books and in illustrations. I personally love it, but it is also the single greatest frustration I face in painting. Just for the record, I have a lot of frustrations with painting.

• Reaper User

So, I'm almost the biggest fan of NMM in the world, but...

Lately, as usual, I've been experimenting. :devil:

Stern Kestrelmann, on page nine of the showcase gallery (link in my sig, below..) is painted in demi-metallics. Next time I'm gonna try some scrollwork. Eat your heart out, NMM. ;)

--Anne

p.s. to stay on thread--

Advantages of NMM: Photographs incredibly well, gives the painter ultimate control of lighting and color effects, and allows for a very clean, "tight" look in competition minis because of this supreme control. Stylistic, and thus showy and eye-catching. Allows the painter greater creative freedom to pull off freehand effects, such as scrollwork and embossing, on "metallic" surfaces.

Disadvantages: It's definately an advanced technique; probably the most difficult out there. You need to master blending or layering before you can effectively pull it off. It's time consuming, and follows definate rules which must be followed in order for it to look correct to the viewer. Risks not looking right if the viewer's angle is extremely skewed (though this usually doesn't come into play if the viewer is actually *looking* at the mini, because the angles people are likely to view minis at are pretty predictable).

... the angles people are likely to view minis at are pretty predictable).

Funny, isn't it?, people will always pick a mini painted in NMM and automatically hold it in a way the light reflections seem more natural. Talk about Ultimate Control. Almost sounds like a D&D skill for a prestige class.

About the only instances where NMM doesn't quite work is when you have conflicting reflections within the same angle of view. Even if the gradients are subtle, and lovely done, they left the viewer with a sense of "wrongness" that is hard to identify.