Sign in to follow this  
Von Krieger

A VK returns! Giant/Halloween Contest Entries of Flesh Golem and Hydra!

I found my little red fan, which means combined with the fact that it snowed today means that the upstairs is no longer a thermonuclear hellhole, and thus I can paint minis again, yay!

Since I'm a bit shaky, I figured that I'd get a nice big couple of figures for a couple of board contests underway.

So of the Halloween-themed contest, I've got the Flesh Golem and the Undertaker, and since I'm a bit shaky in the hands and have painted all of one human mini thus far, that narrows it down for me.

And for the Year of Giants contest, well, why not paint the biggest figure I own at the moment, the Hydra. HAIL HYDRA! *reflexive salute*

I also super glued together a couple of my minis that needed it since I had the glue out for the Hydra, and thus as a result if anyone needs any burglaries committed in the next few days, I'm currently lacking fingerprints.

So I didn't get much done before my back started being achy, just get down a base layer of Ginger Cookie. Mostly because the Hydra *reflexive salute* took a good three hours and a quarter bottle of paint. Why Ginger Cookie? Because I have about six bottles of the stuff from Xmas.

Mr. Five Heads gulped down a huge amount of the stuff, and was rather unhelpful with having tiny white specs appear in his scales every time I changed viewing angle on him. I'm not going to be slathering on a solid coat of paint onto a such a large and scaly beast any time soon. The dried glue on my hands also managed to get stuck to the dry paint, resulting in my removable of a few small chunks of paint. Not only do I have no fingerprints, the tips of my fingers now look like they're rotting off.

I'm thinking of painting the flesh golem in ashen blue, with this being Minnesota, a hypothermic quasiundead just makes sense.

For the ginger cookie addict? Not sure yet, Maybe keep with the Xmas goodness by splashing some Xmas Wreath over the ginger cookie. I think it'd be nice to have a Tiamat-hydra, but I'm not sure my limited experience will be up to the task of trying to blend five colors down into brown or try and make nice neat stripies down the back.

post-13030-0-01404800-1412378024_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-18113500-1412378026_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-03986100-1412434420_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-50811400-1412434423_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-56100200-1412434426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Von Krieger
  • Like 9

So looking over all the paints I have, the lightest blue seemed to be Weathered Bone from the Halloween Ghoulie Bag. So I decided to make that the skin tone for my frozen-to-death flesh golem.

post-13030-0-16024400-1417390912_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-63987600-1417390915_thumb.jpg

And of the paints I had on hand (about a dozen bottles, plus the ones I put in my Bones learn to paint kit) an unnamed dark brown sample paint provided the pantaloons.

I painted the drawstring of said pantaloons with Leather Brown from the L2PK. I think I've got it done here in these images, but can't be certain.

I painted the base Pure White for snowy goodness as well.

post-13030-0-06602800-1417390920_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-89429000-1417390922_thumb.jpg

I touched up the torso and the hands where I'd gotten a bit of brown and leather from the pants, and then slathered on a wash of 1/3 Blue Liner to 2/3 Flow Improver and used Blood Red for his eyes.

I also had wash leak down onto the base, which I covered once the wash dried.

post-13030-0-11419800-1417390929_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-26695000-1417390932_thumb.jpg

And here he is complete!

post-13030-0-22228600-1417390670_thumb.jpg
post-13030-0-77148000-1417390671_thumb.jpg
post-13030-0-21520300-1417390673_thumb.jpg

Biggest issue I had was with my wash wanting to make bubbles, which I managed to tamp down by using a smaller brush, though I still kept getting bubbles here and there.

I think I need to add a bit more onto the base to cover up the wash incontinence, though.

post-13030-0-21280400-1417390926_thumb.jpg

Edited by Von Krieger
  • Like 5